Dave Aky

Housing a swarm beside the old?

Hi there.

Unfortunately, despite my efforts by bees swarmed this afternoon. Luckily, onto a tree on my property. I am considering housing them beside my current hive. Are there rules regarding how close you can place a new hive beside their previous hive? My preference is right beside it (as I don't have much room for an alternative spot).

No such rule. A swarm will stay where you put it.

• Agree 2

its In a nuc box. I was thinking of housing it tonight around 6.30. Is there an ideal time to house a swarm? 

8 minutes ago, Dave Aky said:

its In a nuc box. I was thinking of housing it tonight around 6.30. Is there an ideal time to house a swarm? 

I’d leave them for at least a week to settle before you move them into another box . Don’t want them to get unsettled and fly away 

8 minutes ago, Dave Aky said:

The sooner the better.   I collect my swarms directly into a box full of foundation...

Just now, M4tt said:

I’d leave them for at least a week to settle before you move them into another box . Don’t want them to get unsettled and fly away 

But if they're not on frames & hanging in a clump.....

Are they not on frames ?

They need to be to start work straight away .

I put 4 frames in the box. So leave them on those in that nuc for a week then move them into a permanent home? 

They have only been in for an hour and a half. 

12 minutes ago, Dave Aky said:

I put 4 frames in the box. So leave them on those in that nuc for a week then move them into a permanent home? 

They have only been in for an hour and a half. 

There is no hard and fast rule either way . 

It’s a good idea not to mess with them while they get settled , but on the other hand , it was only an hour and a half ago so what’s a bit more manipulation . 

Unless you want the nuc box for something else and they're not needing more space yet I'd leave them, until they've got some eggs laid at least.

• Agree 1

Thanks guys. Unfortunately the foundation that was in the frames was old and when I checked the nuc, 3 of the 4 had fallen off, so I needed to replace those. I took the opportunity to rehouse them. Fingers crossed it all works well. 

Out of interest, is in the new or old queen that is likely to have been in the swarm? Would you recommend replacing the new queen with a new mated queen? Or will she mate reasonably quickly and be ready to go? (The old queen is only 1 year old so she is still all good).  

If it is the only or first swarm it'll be the old Q. She's already mated and raring to lay. My beeking is very laid back, I'd leave her to supercede in time. 

BTW pink cat.  I see that you have lost field bee status and have now become our Queen Bee.  Maybe it is time you swarmed.  Or do we need to super you up.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

BTW pink cat.  I see that you have lost field bee status and have now become our Queen Bee.  Maybe it is time you swarmed.  Or do we need to super you up.

Soon there will be two queens in the hive by the looks.( @Dave Aky, this has nothing to do with your swarm )

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Soon there will be two queens in the hive by the looks.( @Dave Aky, this has nothing to do with your swarm )

I am trying not to.  That is why I try not to get involved with too many threads.

• Haha 1

Instead of queen bee for guys, perhaps we could have honey!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I wonder if the cat is now having an identity crises?

• Haha 3

Hey guys. So I didn’t follow much of that conversation but I’m glad I created the opportunity for some good banter 😉

i have another swarm related question. A friend called me saying he has a swarm that has found a home in a compost bin. I will collect it tomorrow but I am

needing advice. Im assuming they have started making comb, which will be hanging from the lid. How do I collect it? Is it a matter of cutting the comb, strapping it to frames, and hoping I have the Queen? Do I need a vac? Do I need a queen cage to catch her in? What should be my technique and approach? 

3C3FA8F4-7804-4FB9-AF9E-8EE2798C5E9A.jpeg

Lift the lid, put it on the ground upside down .

Cut each comb out and rubber band it into empty wooden frames .

It will work , but eventually you’ll have to cycle out those frames once the hive is well established .

Take pics for us 👍👍

No need for a vacc. The queen will be on one of the pieces of comb 

Edited by M4tt
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

Lift the lid, put it on the ground upside down .

Cut each comb out and rubber band it into empty wooden frames .

It will work , but eventually you’ll have to cycle out those frames once the hive is well established .

Take pics for us 👍👍

No need for a vacc. The queen will be on one of the pieces of comb 

Great. So the bees will just stick around? And I shake whatever is left into the box? I’m also assuming I leave it there, at least over night to collect whatever bees I don’t catch? 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Dave Aky said:

Great. So the bees will just stick around? And I shake whatever is left into the box? I’m also assuming I leave it there, at least over night to collect whatever bees I don’t catch? 

Spot on 😉👍

Hide the compost bin from them 

Edited by M4tt
  • Thanks 1