Donna K

how many hives are allowed in an Auckland urban backyard?

Just a quick question asking how many hives are allowed in an urban Auckland setting.  I've been a beekeeper for four years but cannot find any guideline of regulations.  Due to swarming I think we might have too many, I thought it was five. Can anyone enlighten me.  Thanks :)

13 minutes ago, Donna K said:

Just a quick question asking how many hives are allowed in an urban Auckland setting.  I've been a beekeeper for four years but cannot find any guideline of regulations.  Due to swarming I think we might have too many, I thought it was five. Can anyone enlighten me.  Thanks :)

There are no specific rules for keeping bees in Auckland Council, apart from the usual consideration to neighbours, flight paths etc.
If you want to put hives on public property, then you need a consent and possibly pay a fee. Private property is fine. No limits on numbers, but if neighbours complain, you may need to reduce numbers. Common sense really and consideration for neighbours.
Most Councils will work with beekeepers and neighbours to find a solution if the neighbours cant sort it themselves.
https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/dogs-animals/keeping-other-animals/keeping-bees/Pages/manage-your-bees.aspx

• Like 2

Many thanks for your response Phil :)