Trevor Gillbanks

November 2019 Apiary Diary

Kanuka is starting to flower out my ways, this rain will make what's left of the manuka focus on growing so it is going to be a poor season. 

I got a message from a mate who said that he got ###### all over on the East Coast as well. 

• Sad 2

32 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Kanuka is starting to flower out my ways, this rain will make what's left of the manuka focus on growing so it is going to be a poor season. 

I got a message from a mate who said that he got ###### all over on the East Coast as well. 

Seriously !!! When one starts the other finish's .

oh crud.

Manuka just getting going here and I noticed the first of the kanuka starting too. 

Nectar coming in but it’s too thin to be mono.....

43 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Don’t know about your beek mates but mine always have a bad season 🤔

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

Nectar coming in but it’s too thin to be mono..

Same here too thin, to pale.

Just bee food really.

1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

Thought that the last week good for you up north. A little while ago you were rushing putting boxes on? 

Edited by Gino de Graaf

Do not worry, your mate may get honey dew from the black sooty mould that grows on the manuka on the east coast

We have had a good bit of honey stored in hives around Western Bay. Kamahi, and Rewa choking out a few. Though it's all over, with rain and thousands of hives coming in for kiwi pollination

Kanuka's flowering down here ..... Manuka starting too in places.

Show week and the bees become self sufficient ..... apparently.

16 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

ah,so the rain not  good for flowering? I thought it would be a pick me up for the plant and encourage longer flowering,so long as we get another good spell of hot weather.

Nuc making 101..... 2 frames brood’’bees, one frame honey n bees, close her up and move her a few miles up the track.

we leave two frames brood above the wueen excluder snd come back in a couple of days, slide a mat in between two boxes, block top in, add cell and come back i two weeks to double the work load.

B79FB3FA-0D05-4EC4-81BB-4CD255AAD39B.jpeg

• Like 3

Today since we  finally have a day where there is no wind or rain I thought I would use the  OA vapouriser on my hive with the virgin queens in and no capped brood .

However about 4 frames in the top box I found eggs and young lava and a very yellow mated queen .

We are having such a terrible spring I was very surprised that this yr a queen would mate here .

There were signs that two cells had hatched so this very italian looking queen had done what all italian queens are supposed to do and despatched her competition .

As soon as I found the queen I  stopped looking and closed the hive up after adding a super .

I never gassed the hive .

I have read that untill there is capped brood it is better not to disturb a  hive .

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

@kaihoka, there’s a winner for you despite the weather, what good beeses! Yay!

• Like 2

I have seen for the first time today kanuka flowering, and all I saw were flowering really strongly.  Manuka is still going strong locally.

2 hours ago, CraBee said:

I have seen for the first time today kanuka flowering, and all I saw were flowering really strongly.  Manuka is still going strong locally.

Has the weather been suitable for the manuka to produce nectar for bees .

Does anyone ever get a good manuka crop .

All I ever read or here these days is how bad the season was .

• Haha 1

We had a really good manuka year ...... I think it was about six years ago now. Law of averages tells me we must be due for another one soon. Lets hope so, because anything that does'nt move or is  nailed down has been sold to keep body and soul together.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Has the weather been suitable for the manuka to produce nectar for bees .

Does anyone ever get a good manuka crop .

All I ever read or here these days is how bad the season was .

We’re to scared to say if we get a good Manuka crop for fear of 100’s beehives being dumped on our doorstep. 🤣

9 hours ago, jamesc said:

Nuc making 101..... 2 frames brood’’bees, one frame honey n bees, close her up and move her a few miles up the track.

we leave two frames brood above the wueen excluder snd come back in a couple of days, slide a mat in between two boxes, block top in, add cell and come back i two weeks to double the work load.

B79FB3FA-0D05-4EC4-81BB-4CD255AAD39B.jpeg

Far out, If I split our hives that hard this time of the year there’s no way I’d get any honey from any of them.

• Agree 3

43 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

We’re to scared to say if we get a good Manuka crop for fear of 100’s beehives being dumped on our doorstep. 🤣

I did wonder if it was like whitebaiters talking about where they catch fish or gold fossickers talking about where they find gold .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah Nicki ..... this is one of three suicide yards that are having the Besheesus taken out of them ..... banking on Big Hands getting us some fine weather on the coast later on.

This was a garbage yard down near Christchurch ..... always hungry, slow to build up ..... we won't go there again !!

• Haha 1

Yes, I reckon it's an ok season Manuka north of Auckland. 

Edited by Gino de Graaf
  • Spoon 1

49 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Yeah Nicki ..... this is one of three suicide yards that are having the Besheesus taken out of them ..... banking on Big Hands getting us some fine weather on the coast later on.

This was a garbage yard down near Christchurch ..... always hungry, slow to build up ..... we won't go there again !!

I think your idea of slow buildup and mine are poles apart. 

There’s no chance of splitting hives here in spring and still getting a crop, over crowding just makes this worse. 

33 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

There’s no chance of splitting hives here in spring and still getting a crop, over crowding just makes this worse. 

Are there lots of resident bee keepers on the island ?

3 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Are there lots of resident bee keepers on the island ?

Heaps, About 5 resident commercial and 4 or 5 that don’t live here but have hives. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Heaps, About 5 resident commercial and 4 or 5 that don’t live here but have hives. 

Sounds a lot , are they about 500 hive opperations .

I suppose making a living onthe island is not that easy

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, nikki watts said:

9 hours ago, jamesc said:

We may get good weather late summer but do not expect a good rata year at all.

We used to call this yard The graveyard.

Over the last few days it has become Sin City.

DCDC4D04-8D43-4034-902A-56B46ECC77F2.jpeg

• Like 1