Trevor Gillbanks

November 2019 Apiary Diary

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Ah yes ..... I see a shine of new nectar !

Went for a cruise in the Big MAN today over to Stoneys territory.   The thermometer registered 30c ......nice.

Yea 30 deg here.. I was leaking sweat today checking my hoard of splits made through October.. willows done, lucky for me they have a large area of flowering eucalyptus they’re chipping away at til the catsear starts. 

Ill be hauling them into the backblocks shortly to build on the matagouri while we await the money crop. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Yea 30 deg here.. I was leaking sweat today checking my hoard of splits made through October.. willows done, lucky for me they have a large area of flowering eucalyptus they’re chipping away at til the catsear starts. 

Ill be hauling them into the backblocks shortly to build on the matagouri while we await the money crop. 

Nice.

7 minutes ago, Stoney said:

What do you reckon your diesel input is per 100kg of honey ?

6 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Our money crop started about 2 weeks ago, putting second supers on hardout

IMG_20191101_114855-1560x2080.jpg

Just now, Maru Hoani said:

Our money crop started about 2 weeks ago, putting second supers on hardout

IMG_20191101_114855-1560x2080.jpg

• Like 1

Are they standard boxes ?  10 frames must be a squeeze...

2 minutes ago, yesbut said:

What do you reckon your diesel input is per 100kg of honey ?

No idea... butmuch less than most.. my winter -spring sites are all within 15k of home, summer sites just over the hill furthest about 35 km. 

2001 435000 km hilux and trailer. 

30 minutes ago, Stoney said:

we await the money crop

What is a money crop ?

Is it only manuka .?

2 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

What is a money crop ?

Is it only manuka .?

Yes unfortunately that is now the case... honeydew for drawing foundy and winter food for the girls. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Are they standard boxes ?  10 frames must be a squeeze...

Standard gear, been upgrading my honey supers to self spacing manly frames for a while

30 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Yes unfortunately that is now the case... honeydew for drawing foundy and winter food for the girls. 

Thats a very precarious position .

If the price of manuka ever crashes thats the whole industry in real .

• Agree 2

She’s a roll of the dice alright.. 

15 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Do you have to hop on/off truck for each pallet? Seen them, wire squeezes flat when second layer goes on ? 

yes but with the help of a boat boarding ladder, 

lifter2.jpg

lifter1.jpg

I stand on the truck and off load from there as the hook frees itself when you place it on the ground or truck deck, and stay on the ground when loading the truck.

• Like 4

couple of hives in one apiary were looking a little bit drier than I liked when i looked in them a week back, but a dribble of fresh nectar coming in and plenty of forage just starting to flower. Other apiaries just needing more boxes. Might do an end november extraction at this rate...

Walked down a valley yesterday after a night at a hut out cape palliser way and a morning recording names and times of those coming through the aorangi undulator race - plenty of hives up that valley! hundreds, hope that manuka flowers heavily for them and the resulting brew passes that manuka test. Then went for a walk around lake ferry with a light spinning rod, hadn't known until yesterday that salmon farm escapees from the sounds swim across to the ruamahunga.

As I get about , Ive decided there is a new type of beekeeper that I’ve dubbed The Farmlands Beekeeper ‘

Easy access to gear , and bees .

The Farmlands Beekeeper keeps bees because they  can . Very hands off deal . Let bees do what bees do , that includes swarming . 

Eeeaaaassy beekeeping 

2 hours ago, M4tt said:

As I get about , Ive decided there is a new type of beekeeper that I’ve dubbed The Farmlands Beekeeper ‘

The Farmlands Beekeeper keeps bees because they  can . Very hands off deal . Let bees do what bees do , that includes swarming . 

Eeeaaaassy beekeeping 

Yep, that’s us! Except for the swarming bit! Hard to make honey when you have no beeses! Himself is in the hills on his own today! I went the sell the wares at a market, for my “hobby”! Hot under a black gazebo! Too much peopling, off into the hills tomorrow again.

26 minutes ago, Bron said:

Yep, that’s us! 

No , I don’t think so .

The Farmlands Beekeeper has one or two hives in the backyard , primarily for honey , and largely managed by the beekeeper doing the annual inspection 😉

11 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

yes but with the help of a boat boarding ladder, 

lifter2.jpg

lifter1.jpg

I stand on the truck and off load from there as the hook frees itself when you place it on the ground or truck deck, and stay on the ground when loading the truck.

What does the hook connect to? 

17 hours ago, M4tt said:

Eeeaaaassy beekeeping 

yeap, I think i caught one of those last night... neighbour came over at 7.00pm to say they had a swarm in their hedge. I was calculating whether it may have come from mine, but I figured not as I checked them last weekend and no sign of a swarm even remotely forming.

Packed my wheelbarrow with a box and lids and suit and wandered down the road... It was still about 25 degrees, didnt want to walk down the road in my suit!

Got there and the neighbour said he saw them fly over his house, completely opposite direction to my place luckily... took a bit to get them into the box, and one of them sounded distinctly feline in nature... oh theres a cat hiding in the hedge as well!

The neighbours family and most of mine were lying in the grass watching me trying to get them into the box from the hedge, and then lift them back over the fence and they took ages to settle down, some kept trying to hang off the hedge again, they probably over the heat as well. Then i walked them home again, with my son walking alongside the whole time, kinda cute and they're definately not mine, there's quite a bit of carnolian black backsides in them. I guess if they stay it might improve my gene pool a little. Back in the dark and boxed them up, lets see if they are still there later.

Its been a couple of years since to caught a swarm, sometimes they stay and sometimes they dont. But at least the neighbours will be happy to have them gone, as it was right next to their horse paddock.

• Like 2

if they keep returning to the site they swarmed to in the hedge etc i puff a lot of smoke onto the area to block any of the queens smells.

yeah will check if they are still where I put them  when i get home from work... I didnt bother with a smoker last night, but that is a good idea!

2 hours ago, kevin moore said:

if they keep returning to the site they swarmed to in the hedge etc i puff a lot of smoke onto the area to block any of the queens smells.

I never have smoke on with swarms, but any old airfreshener works well.

• Like 2

How we love having 'new' neighbours  .  We seem to be catching a lot of swarms at the moment !

FFB6F370-28C2-4DC6-84E7-C586AF5A4794.jpeg

In the meantime .... it's time for the big split.   And it's great weather for it. Three brood box hives are getting pulled apart ...... queen and three frames of brood go down on the deadout. Three frames of brood and bees go down on the site of the where the old queen was, get boosted by the drift and have a cell wrapped in masking tape added.  All the rest of the brood and bees are popped into nucs ..... two frames of brood,one frame bees and honey, and carted up the road to the nuc yard where they will feast on Matagouri.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jamesc said:

All the rest of the brood and bees are popped into nucs ..... two frames of brood,one frame bees and honey, and carted up the road to the nuc yard where they will feast on Matagouri.

Good old Matagouri. I've finally managed to get a seed to germinate 😃

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Good old Matagouri. I've finally managed to get a seed to germinate 😃

Will you plant it on your section ??!!

9FEA9960-32C6-4376-A66A-CCD17054C860.thumb.jpeg.8003726d268d22b15e839a1531fc1296.jpeg

• Like 2