Trevor Gillbanks

November 2019 Apiary Diary

Another month ticks over and we are only one month away from the Christmas Holiday month.

Swarming is now in full force and plenty of call are coming in from all around the country.  

• Like 1

Yes, home made timbre with second hand Hella LEDs. On stop light. Rotate out. Must remember to swing in!!

DSC_0239-4128x2322.JPG

One I like to do in daylight.

DSC_0247-1024x576.JPG

DSC_0249-1024x576.JPG

DSC_0244-1024x576.JPG

DSC_0248-1024x576.JPG

DSC_0242-1376x774.JPG

• Like 4

Got my offsiders first set of PPE, shame the smallest size is a 4, apparently babies don’t go beekeeping 😆

315DA376-0F44-4253-8867-2F9DF26076E4.thumb.jpeg.e40db529a7f464f6f298d3fb40f06177.jpeg

2839EFE9-7D06-4DBD-BD5D-977E97D253C3.thumb.jpeg.2ea8f2cbc16a840375c81db318751c97.jpeg

• Like 15

10 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Yes, home made timbre with second hand Hella LEDs. On stop light. Rotate out. Must remember to swing in!!

DSC_0239-4128x2322.JPG

One I like to do in daylight.

o what a luxury, an orchard you can drive a truck around. i'm so jealous. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Daley said:

Got my offsiders first set of PPE, shame the smallest size is a 4, apparently babies don’t go beekeeping 😆

315DA376-0F44-4253-8867-2F9DF26076E4.thumb.jpeg.e40db529a7f464f6f298d3fb40f06177.jpeg

2839EFE9-7D06-4DBD-BD5D-977E97D253C3.thumb.jpeg.2ea8f2cbc16a840375c81db318751c97.jpeg

Super cute 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, tristan said:

o what a luxury, an orchard you can drive a truck around. i'm so jealous. 

With a truck like that I’m surprised too 😂 that thing is massive

Pollination. Been there, done that. Don't miss it at all.

• Agree 2

52 minutes ago, Daley said:

With a truck like that I’m surprised too 😂 that thing is massive

i can't remember who posted it, something like 300 hives and a loader on the truck going into pollination.  makes that truck look like a ute.

one things that drives me nuts is how little thought is put into organising an orchard for pollination. its like its all just an after thought.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, john berry said:

Pollination. Been there, done that. Don't miss it at all.

It's much better with crane and truck. We used to hand bomb 1600. With big bee beards. And you got pretty dirty when it rained. 

We now manage brood/bees better, have screened floors so we can block bees in.  We used to fluff around going into tight/steep areas. Now,if the truck can't Safely get there we don't. One good outcome with Safety reforms

Sugar in

DSC_0250-1024x576.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

It's much better with crane and truck. We used to hand bomb 1600. With big bee beards. And you got pretty dirty when it rained. 

We now manage brood/bees better, have screened floors so we can block bees in.  We used to fluff around going into tight/steep areas. Now,if the truck can't Safely get there we don't. One good outcome with Safety reforms

Sugar in

DSC_0250-1024x576.JPG

Is there a feeder in the bottom box?😭

5 hours ago, Jamo said:

Is there a feeder in the bottom box?😭

No, usually top. Those Mann Lake 5 litres. One has it in bottom

Edited by Gino de Graaf

The cordless remote attached to the cradle make life easy

made in auckland by appolo

855C8585-42FA-4915-BCC2-3A62D32D74B3.jpeg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jamesc said:

The cordless remote attached to the cradle make life easy

made in auckland by appolo

855C8585-42FA-4915-BCC2-3A62D32D74B3.jpeg

That's nice. Slips into the cradle? My check , double, triple check- remote onboard?? 

• Like 1

I most always take it out when on the road.  Clipped into the cradle means you can drive it with both hands.

5 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

That's nice. Slips into the cradle? My check , double, triple check- remote onboard?? 

I used to have cradle till one day it was left behind, the boys thought i would say lets go back and get it, I made them unload the 80 hives and pallets by hand.(i helped as well)

My daughter was helping me during pollination and i brokered some hives with wire strops on the pallets no need for cradle, she said if i want her help again i need to go to wire strops as well, which i agreed-ed with so spent two days and changed all my pallets over and have never regretted it and I wouldn't go back to a cradle. With a wireless remote it is so much faster and a 1 person job.

Well @tristan, one week on and the sun is shining and the fields are blooming with yellow flowers . 
The bees are storing nectar and pollen around the outsides of the broodnests again the brood on new frames is no longer shotgun . 
New frames have been drawn and are being laid in .

Staples are all getting pulled out this round . Drone brood between boxes is all clean .

For now , it’s all on .

Im not quite ready to pack brood down yet and put QE’s on , but it won’t be far away.

Some weaker hives I merged and double queened are thriving with a better workforce . 
22 strong hives at my place . 

Op

15F5ADB7-77F3-4920-ADD4-6AB64A0B8334.jpeg

1DBEF7DD-B664-472B-BB33-DCFBC26EFC43.jpeg

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

I used to have cradle till one day it was left behind, the boys thought i would say lets go back and get it, I made them unload the 80 hives and pallets by hand.(i helped as well)

My daughter was helping me during pollination and i brokered some hives with wire strops on the pallets no need for cradle, she said if i want her help again i need to go to wire strops as well, which i agreed-ed with so spent two days and changed all my pallets over and have never regretted it and I wouldn't go back to a cradle. With a wireless remote it is so much faster and a 1 person job.

Do you have to hop on/off truck for each pallet? Seen them, wire squeezes flat when second layer goes on ? 

Can someone help me out with what this plant is.

It is everywhere on the Paihiatua track and in full flower

I has a nice sweet perfume 

20191102_145318.jpg

20191102_145316.jpg

20191102_123630.jpg

20191102_123625.jpg

20191102_123618.jpg

Known as Rangiora, also known as bushmans loo paper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

Yup. Brachyglottis Repanda

Heaps around western taupo

4 hours ago, M4tt said:

Well @tristan, one week on and the sun is shining and the fields are blooming with yellow flowers . 
The bees are storing nectar and pollen around the outsides of the broodnests again the brood on new frames is no longer shotgun . 
New frames have been drawn and are being laid in .

Staples are all getting pulled out this round . Drone brood between boxes is all clean .

For now , it’s all on .

Im not quite ready to pack brood down yet and put QE’s on , but it won’t be far away.

Some weaker hives I merged and double queened are thriving with a better workforce . 
22 strong hives at my place . 

Op

15F5ADB7-77F3-4920-ADD4-6AB64A0B8334.jpeg

1DBEF7DD-B664-472B-BB33-DCFBC26EFC43.jpeg

I don't see much white wax or kai .....

3 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I don't see much white wax or kai .....

Those aren’t fresh drawn. 

There are eggs right out to the nectar .

Try this one. They are capping the corner .

Quite a few fullish frames of nectar above the brood 

38DC41CA-14F9-4152-8F6D-B1B4C8B96804.jpeg

Edited by M4tt

Ah yes ..... I see a shine of new nectar !

Went for a cruise in the Big MAN today over to Stoneys territory.   The thermometer registered 30c ......nice.

• Like 1

Rangiora does have a strong scent but it appears to be completely unattractive to bees. Many years ago it was thought to be  the source of poisonous honey until the real culprit was found.You will often see it covered with flies but I don't think I have ever seen a bee on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2