Trevor Gillbanks

Beekeeping "Levy" Do we need one.

9 hours ago, M4tt said:

You’re clever neice is now all over Farmers Weekly 

Someone’s going to poach her ......

Not before I do! Shes a captive audience and mine out of working hours for a bit. Gissy rental market is few and far between & I have a four bedroom house with two people rattling around in it! (I love it when a cunning plan comes good!)

Danielle is now an independent management consultant. (Or something like that.)  It’s faster to jump on a plane from here than commute in Auckland. She’s open for business.

• Like 4

On 23/10/2019 at 8:36 AM, ChrisM said:

ok I can't find any prohibition or confidential nature to this, so below my rambling there is a portion of the latest newsletter to NZ Beekeeping members (a group that we might all consider joining to augment whatever forum/club/group/society you are already part of..) I think this project is actually very exciting, it may not come to fruition but I'm super pleased it is being attempted.. The actual content of Mark Goodwin's talk isn't here in detail, but if you look at pollens, then you can think about gorse. The bees collect gorse pollen, it ends up in the honey. However, there is no such thing as gorse honey (at least not in our current climate). So counting pollen isn't much use. Whatever honey you have collected you might hope that the most prevalent pollen reflects that kind of honey, but it is a hit and miss situation where you can't easily define proportions of gorse honey and so on from the percentages of the pollens in the samples. I hope I have explained that right, I don't think gorse was mentioned in the talk with any emphasis, but that is how I think of it. Below is from the newsletter.. 

Dear Members,

Following a presentation at our Hamilton Field day in August, your Executive have decided to partner with Dr Mark Goodwin to seek funding for a research project looking at the nectar in the bees crop and relating that to the honey produced.  A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) has been signed.

The project will be over 3 years.

The concept for this project is to be able to market all New Zealand honey based on the percent of nectar from each plant species that makes up the honey.  After this, a taste profile language could be developed like that used in describing wines and could also include the geographic characteristics of where the honey is produced.   Having a variety of plant species represented in honey, could then be a positive for honey rather than a negative as is the current situation.

The project would be to find markers to identify the nectar from each major plant source of nectar as required along with an understanding of the relationship of the concentration of the markers in nectar and honey made from that nectar.  The approach would be to collect thousands of nectar samples from the main nectar producing plants. In the first year this is likely to be from our other Native monofloral varieties like Rewarewa, Kamahi etc. 

The nectar will be collected and removed by catching the honeybees on the floral source crop of interest.  This approach works as honeybee foragers exhibit floral constancy.  In a paddock of clover and dandelion, a bee will only visit clover and another bee only dandelions.  Bees can be caught by placing a plastic bag over the flower with the foraging bee.  

We are really excited about the potential of this project.  We will be seeking your help to collect samples from specific floral sources including the foraging bees - let's know if this interests you; info@nzbeekeeping.co.nz.

Jane Lorimer
PRESIDENT

The National Botanical Gardens of Wales has extensive DNA profiles of Honey and Pollen  https://botanicgarden.wales/science/saving-pollinators/honey-bee-foraging-2/

• Like 1