Boyesee

NZBF Hive started to swarm then went back inside?

I have a second hive that Today started to swarm. There were a large number of bees flying around outside hive and then big number clumped in front of hive and at entrance. 

they then calmed down and started going back into the hive. 

I decided to have a look inside and saw 5 frames of drawn Comb with 2 that had either nectar or capped honey. 3 frames had a mixture of nectar or capped brood. (I made this hive from a split a week ago) 

there was a capped queen cell on one brood frame but no eggs that I could see and I couldn’t see a queen.  

Is it possible I have a virgin queen already in the hive?

is it best to leave hive for 10 days and then see if any eggs? I don’t understand why the looked like they were swarming but then went back into hive. 

any help much appreciated as I am pretty new to this. 

Hives will also do this when their virgin queen is flying to be mated .

My nucs are outside the kitchen window and I can tell when the queen is out by their behaviour . 

Not sure what’s going on with yours though with a cell still in there .

How did you make the split ? 

Edited by M4tt

23 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Hives will also do this when their virgin queen is flying to be mated .

My nucs are outside the kitchen window and I can tell when the queen is out by their behaviour . 

Not sure what’s going on with yours though with a cell still in there .

How did you make the split ? 

My other hive which is about a meter away from the split has now got very active and I just spotted a queen fly into this one. Is it possible the queen would return to the wrong hive?

i made the original split when first hive swarmed and took 3 frames of brood out and put into new hive along with a queen cell. 

1 minute ago, Boyesee said:

My other hive which is about a meter away from the split has now got very active and I just spotted a queen fly into this one. Is it possible the queen would return to the wrong hive?

i made the original split when first hive swarmed and took 3 frames of brood out and put into new hive along with a queen cell. 

Anything is possible with bees ,  usually  the queen returns to the correct hive .

OK thanks for the help @M4tt 

i'm thinking I just leave both hives to it and check them both in a week.

If there is a new queen in the second hive will she deal to the capped queen cell?

2 minutes ago, Boyesee said:

If there is a new queen in the second hive will she deal to the capped queen cell?

Well that’s what worries me . No , possibly not . They are usually dealt with soon after emergence . If there s a virgin in there , that cell may be dead . If it’s not dead , the bees may use it to swarm when it does emerged .

So many ‘ifs ‘ . Unfortunately I can’t tell without looking in the hive