Jump to content
Gino de Graaf

Propolis testing and buyers

Recommended Posts

Our usual buyer had plenty. Sent to MH, got the great run around. Sods. Finally, after chasing and been told need more info, we got our result. 28%.

Our previous results never lower than 40%. 

We always scrape with an eye for purity.

MH wouldn't tell us our result until the very end... When they asked us for an invoice. 

We want it back thanks.  

Going to sent a few words to the big man at MH. Thoroughly annoyed, and I bet they import also.

Anyone else getting dealing with MH?

  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sent my (small) amount in 3 months ago to MH.  I sent then a message a couple of weeks ago that I am still waiting to hear of my processing results.

I was told they had not started on mine.

As the $$ value has been going down each year (in spite of more propolis being sent in), I have now decided to call it quits and I have pulled all the mats off my hives.  

I will not be supplying any more propolis again.  Too much effort to be treated like garbage.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Finally, after chasing and been told need more info, we got our result. 28%.

Our previous results never lower than 40%. 

Interesting.

I wonder if it was your propolis.

I suppose you might find out if they send it back.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Daley said:

Interesting.

I wonder if it was your propolis.

I suppose you might find out if they send it back.

I bet we don't get our own back. Probably already processed into a product. 

If that's the case, can they use it before been paid for?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I bet we don't get our own back. Probably already processed into a product. 

If that's the case, can they use it before been paid for?

 

Depends what you have agreed upon.

I would say no, but it could be too late.

😬

I sell propolis to MH, I have gotten on.. ok.

I have heard some horror stories from other people though.

And I will say that last year I did not get my own mats back, I got someone else’s, which I found quite concerning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No agreement, we sent. No contract.

This propolis saga, with not many buyers and importation could be a great media story. How do you go about that?

13 minutes ago, Daley said:

Depends what you have agreed upon.

I would say no, but it could be too late.

😬

I sell propolis to MH, I have gotten on.. ok.

I have heard some horror stories from other people though.

And I will say that last year I did not get my own mats back, I got someone else’s, which I found quite concerning.

That's rubbish. AFB anyone??

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmhmmm. Not good.

 

I don’t actually know if MH are importing propolis, I hope not because I really like their toothpaste and it specifically says it’s made with NZ Propolis, I would hate to find that it wasn’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Under the old owners MH were only using NZ product, don't know if that is still the policy with the new ownership.

 

I remember Kerry Paul once telling me that he believed propolis had the potential to bee bigger than Manuka, damn pity that hasn't happened.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/10/2019 at 6:17 PM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I sent my (small) amount in 3 months ago to MH.  I sent then a message a couple of weeks ago that I am still waiting to hear of my processing results.

I was told they had not started on mine.

As the $$ value has been going down each year (in spite of more propolis being sent in), I have now decided to call it quits and I have pulled all the mats off my hives.  

I will not be supplying any more propolis again.  Too much effort to be treated like garbage.

That sucks, I got over 700 matts in the shed now and am in the same boat

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine are still on hives and I can’t be bothered removing them.

 

not sure what to do with them now, barely seems worth the effort.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

That sucks, I got over 700 matts in the shed now and am in the same boat

 

44 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Mine are still on hives and I can’t be bothered removing them.

 

not sure what to do with them now, barely seems worth the effort.

That is exactly why I cannot be bothered with them.  I will harvest the extra wax that the bees make per hive (on the crown board) and sell that. At least I am in control of that and I know how much I can get for my wax.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

That sucks, I got over 700 matts in the shed now and am in the same boat

Who do you normally sell to?

51 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Mine are still on hives and I can’t be bothered removing them.

 

not sure what to do with them now, barely seems worth the effort.

Who do you normally sell to?

Surely, if you got mats full, is it not still worth sending? We just got the run around. And poor test result. Our email to big Ben refered to Procurement/Apiary manager. See what happens....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

 

That is exactly why I cannot be bothered with them.  I will harvest the extra wax that the bees make per hive (on the crown board) and sell that. At least I am in control of that and I know how much I can get for my wax.

 

I had the same a couple of years back, sent mats off to MH and got back (eventually) a payment for propolis - which seemed low - and my wax.  Except I know for a fact that I had a-lot more wax than what I received back when the mats were sent away.  No confidence left in them and no trust.  The mats make good bottom boards if I run out and don't have any on site...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can scrape about 1-1.5 kg of propolis a day during my first round. At 40% pure it was worth the effort. At 28% not. Especially with the mucking around. 

I consider mats, not anymore

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Who do you normally sell to?

Who do you normally sell to?

Surely, if you got mats full, is it not still worth sending? 

MH

 

thankfully they’re their mats, I didn’t pay for them. But even though they’re full (admittedly a mix of propolis/wax) the process of removing them all, packaging and palletisation, organise uplift then wait 3 months for a few hundred bucks? No thanks.

 

would rather spend my time elsewhere!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

MH

 

thankfully they’re their mats, I didn’t pay for them. But even though they’re full (admittedly a mix of propolis/wax) the process of removing them all, packaging and palletisation, organise uplift then wait 3 months for a few hundred bucks? No thanks.

 

would rather spend my time elsewhere!

Yes. I agree.

 

MH supplied my first few mats. Now you have to buy your own. It was in my contract that they would supply 2 per hive.

Also in my contract they said they would pay freight both ways.  Now, because I am a small supplier, I have to freight them myself.

Then wait at least 3 months before they extract them.  Then wait for the money to turn up.

 

The service has got worse and worse, as has the $$ return.

 

I bought a heap of mats myself, so i don't think the mats belong to MH any more, and I cannot be bothered with all the hassle for very little return.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yes. I agree.

 

MH supplied my first few mats. Now you have to buy your own. It was in my contract that they would supply 2 per hive.

Also in my contract they said they would pay freight both ways.  Now, because I am a small supplier, I have to freight them myself.

Then wait at least 3 months before they extract them.  Then wait for the money to turn up.

 

The service has got worse and worse, as has the $$ return.

 

I bought a heap of mats myself, so i don't think the mats belong to MH any more, and I cannot be bothered with all the hassle for very little return.

 

Which all points to hassle on the other side too which is why C imports the stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yesbut said:

Which all points to hassle on the other side too which is why C imports the stuff.

Yes.  I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can anyone explain the processing of the propolis? Is it dissolved in a particular strength/type of alcohol? Is that then recovered via a still to produce a concentrated form of pure propolis? Does anyone process their own propolis for their own use or products they sell in a cottage industry / farmer's market fashion?

 

Is it feasible that I can make/buy alcohol with a still, then end up with a concentrated tincture separated from most of the alcohol? 

Does anyone sell this or mix it with candy to produce lozenges? What other things does it get used for?

How and in what do overseas beekeepers sell propolis to the public?

 

I'm sure it is time consuming to refine propolis and NOT a road riches, but for a hobbiest tinkering, does it trigger an NP1 requirement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update. We sent a strongly worded letter to a person in charge. He apologised for service, made the guy we dealt with apologise, and said he will return propolis.

Today we received "our" propolis back.

Short 5kg! Sent about 18kg, latter we got a proforma stating purity % x  18kg. Today the bag had  my name and 13kg written on it. I weighed it, and yip 13kg.

Propolis looks ok, but most likely not ours. 

Another letter sent. 

What's up with rubbish service?

Edited by Gino de Graaf
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Update. We sent a strongly worded letter to a person in charge. He apologised for service, made the guy we dealt with apologise, and said he will return propolis.

Today we received "our" propolis back.

Short 5kg! Sent about 18kg, latter we got a proforma stating purity % x  18kg. Today the bag had  my name and 13kg written on it. I weighed it, and yip 13kg.

Propolis looks ok, but most likely not ours. 

Another letter sent. 

What's up with rubbish service?

And this is the service they expect us to put up with.

I have pulled all my mats and now I will not be collecting any.  Just a big waste of time and effort.

I can make much better use of the extra wax that is attached to the hive mat.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/10/2019 at 1:01 AM, ChrisM said:

can anyone explain the processing of the propolis? Is it dissolved in a particular strength/type of alcohol? Is that then recovered via a still to produce a concentrated form of pure propolis? Does anyone process their own propolis for their own use or products they sell in a cottage industry / farmer's market fashion?

 

Is it feasible that I can make/buy alcohol with a still, then end up with a concentrated tincture separated from most of the alcohol? 

Does anyone sell this or mix it with candy to produce lozenges? What other things does it get used for?

How and in what do overseas beekeepers sell propolis to the public?

 

I'm sure it is time consuming to refine propolis and NOT a road riches, but for a hobbiest tinkering, does it trigger an NP1 requirement?

 

At my place mostly is sold as alcohol tincture in small plastic or glass bottles with cap for drops or spray, usually 20ml. I have propolis and alcohol ( ethyl alcohol, I will use 96%) and can't put it together cause I am in " another movie" these days - hazelNUTS..

Some pics of bottles for propolis: https://www.google.com/search?q=bočice+za+propolis&rlz=1C1CHBF_enHR782HR782&sxsrf=ACYBGNRpVJ8u9ktgGt11ctP8dTiQmppLpw:1573512006912&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=fTwNTh3ze4EXAM%3A%2Ca_AdCtDkejzdIM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQhV__F_Q9yK9t_T397YYvCCYGJFQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiS8uKBnePlAhVBzaQKHew4A0wQ9QEwA3oECAkQDA#imgrc=fTwNTh3ze4EXAM:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today we received the balance of propolis from MH. A few days ago ,wrote asking what's going on with the lost 5kg. No response, just a parcel of someone else's propolis at the door. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...