Phil46

Spring feed honey - Trade Me

5 hours ago, morporks said:

The point here is someone has decided they dont like the look of the add,  maybe its the colour of the honey or a spelling mistake, who knows what.  And now seller is being harassed in a public forum.   

Some members talk about education on the fourm, I am sure good teachers know that making the student look foolish in front of the other students/peers a is sure way to suppress the students willingness to learn and be part of the class  

So if you have concerns dont be a vigilante.  Be a mentor 

A more accurate statement would be “Almost everyone here has decided they don’t like the look of the ad”

To say it’s because of the colour of the honey or a spelling mistake?

I think your being a little obtuse.

Feeding unknown honey to beehives is super dumb, if you don’t know that then you shouldn’t have bees.

Selling honey to others as spring feed honey is irresponsible, failing to answer pertinent questions on your dodgy listing implies you are shady, and withdrawing the listing confirms all of the above.

If I have concerns I’m going to say what I really think, I’m not going to pussy foot around to protect people’s feelings when they are doing something that is

DUMB 😊

Do I want to mentor someone like that? Haha no.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Well Daley

I think you have just reinforced my point 

• Agree 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, morporks said:

Well Daley

So be it.

I’m not overly concerned as being labelled a vigilante, I’ve been called worse.

I put this in the same basket as arguing with a flat earther or an anti vaxxer, there’s probably no point other than giving a 2 sided argument for anyone who might be reading and on the fence.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, morporks said:

And the responses tell me you've completely missed it 😄

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

4 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@kevin moore off topic just quickly but wondering if you sent samples from your dwindly hives away to be tested and if you did have you had the results back yet?

also how are the hives looking now ?

hi frazzle, yer no sample sent in just been waiting to see how jamesc's samples turn out, not alot of money in the coffers at the mo. the earler ones on the second round which only had a soft ball size cluster died, was talking to another beek the other day and he had some thing much the same, this he put down to lack of pollen, still had plenty of stores though.

the dwindling or slow hives have come away but are slow to build up, these have both plenty of honey and stores,

the hives that were ok have had split of them and are still going gang-busters,

this is all happening in a year that i don't really want alot of honey, so we will see,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, morporks said:

The point here is someone has decided they dont like the look of the add,  maybe its the colour of the honey or a spelling mistake, who knows what.  

No that's not it.

Think deeper.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, morporks said:

Do you ask every seller of honey that you see on trade me or other market locations to supply tutin test results or harvest documents showing tutin status.   Pretty sure you dont 

Do you know what the labeling laws are and do you go into the super market checking labels on the shelf for compliance ?  If you did you would know a lot of the labels are not quite correct   

there is official inspectors who do exactly that. they used to check my honey at the market every year.

and yes many beekeepers do actually check whats on the shelves in stores so they catch those who break the rules which damages our industry.

we need customers who have confidence in what they are buying and every time something happens the industry tends to get hit with more regulation and more complacence cost. so all beekeepers have a vested interest in making sure everyone's product is above board.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

There are four  types of people .

-Those that don’t need to be told , but do best practice as a matter of course 

-Those that need rules and regulation to show them boundaries , for whatever reason 

-Those that know the rules and break them 

-Those who don’t care and do whatever they like 

Thankfully for those who are searching the  forum to learn , best practice is not difficult to find here, and good on you for questioning it because it is not always obvious 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, morporks said:

Do you ask every seller of honey that you see on trade me or other market locations to supply tutin test results or harvest documents showing tutin status.   Pretty sure you dont 

seller is being harassed in a public forum.   

Some members talk about education on the fourm, I am sure good teachers know that making the student look foolish in front of the other students/peers a is sure way to suppress the students willingness to learn and be part of the class  

So if you have concerns dont be a vigilante.  Be a mentor 

i'm pretty sure that if the seller came and asked what they should do to ensure their honey sales were legal, or their practices sensible, they would get plenty of useful support/answers (which is kinda mentoring, and arguably the most valuable aspect to fora such as this one).

if they still don't want to learn or obey the rules then i suggest that isn't really our concern, that's what the rules and the ability to enforce them exist for. I'm not sure how to go about mentoring or supporting someone who is pretty much anonymous other than a trademe mishmash of letters.

• Like 2

Alistair

The thinking is very deep

Its about the effects of vigilante  like behaviour ,that is quite common in the beekeeping industry and how best to have a conversation with people, without the fear of being put down. With the aim of  achieving  the results of improving the overall  behaviour in the industry. 

Edited by morporks

The thinking was not deep, because you said QUOTE - "maybe its the colour of the honey or a spelling mistake". 

You know very well that was not the issue and I assume your comment was tongue in cheek.

So my comment was also tongue in cheek.

Regarding vigilantism. Yes. Not sure if you have followed, but there has been a regular stream of AFB infected gear, nucs, and hives, advertised on TM over the last several years. Often those ads will ring alarm bells in one way or another, and there have been cases where thanks to the vigilantism of members of this site, the gear has been checked and found to be infected. The worst thing about some of these cases is that the vendor was aware, or at the least, had suspicions, that what he was selling had AFB.

Most of this stuff is sold to nubies who know little. Selling AFB infected stuff to them is appalling, as it not only costs the new beekeeper plenty and can be devastating emotionally, but if they do not recognise the disease it can end up infecting multiple other beekeepers. All so that the vendor can get a few bucks which will be a fraction of the damage done.

So this is why there are vigilanties here, they have given good service, and i for one, am in support.

If you were one of the brand new beekeepers who had been helped by this, you may have a different appreciation.

Saying all this to explain the position, hope you understand.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 3
  • Agree 7

6 hours ago, morporks said:

Alistair

The thinking is very deep

Its about the effects of vigilante  like behaviour ,that is quite common in the beekeeping industry and how best to have a conversation with people, without the fear of being put down. With the aim of  achieving  the results of improving the overall  behaviour in the industry. 

Harden up brother and get used to it

Take any criticism on the chin, it's character building

• Haha 1

On 16/10/2019 at 1:57 PM, kevin moore said:

hi frazzle, yer no sample sent in just been waiting to see how jamesc's samples turn out, not alot of money in the coffers at the mo. the earler ones on the second round which only had a soft ball size cluster died, was talking to another beek the other day and he had some thing much the same, this he put down to lack of pollen, still had plenty of stores though.

the dwindling or slow hives have come away but are slow to build up, these have both plenty of honey and stores,

the hives that were ok have had split of them and are still going gang-busters,

this is all happening in a year that i don't really want alot of honey, so we will see,

More samples went to Gisborne last week . We'll see what eventuates.

The garbage hives have died and we are left with the survivors who have responded well to Apitraz , many of which have now had a third brood added as we build bees and brood stocks prior to pulling nucs.

We are putting out a trial run of poly's today to see if we can get some 'early' queens ...... rather than busting up big hives and watching nucs struggle for a month to get mated in this fickle weather...... and end up with a whole heap of drone layers.

20 minutes ago, jamesc said:

We are putting out a trial run of poly's today to see if we can get some 'early' queens ...... rather than busting up big hives and watching nucs struggle for a month to get mated in this fickle weather...... and end up with a whole heap of drone layers.

Excellent plan. This is a lot more bee efficient way to produce early queens when you are trying to build numbers. Packages for nuc making can also be taken from likely swarming candidates, which solve 2 problems in one.

Standard way for poly's is 1 x's 10 day queen cell, a 250 ml cup of bees, a feeder full of syrup with mesh or something in it so they won't drown, keep them locked up in the shed for 3 days so the queen will hatch, then put them out.

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 3