Phil46

Spring feed honey - Trade Me

Anyone else seen this  on TradeMe...Frames of capped honey for sale as spring feed honey!.It is also suggested in the description that this a better option than feeding sugar!

I have asked whether they are a registered beekeeper and whether this is safe practice? I didnt think it was.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I saw that Phil ..... to be honest I'd rather buy 'clean' sugar than some else's 'dirty' honey.

• Agree 1

onya Tristan...i didnt know how to post that 

Report the listing with TradeMe

looks like he's recently sold 16 hives too, no DECA - he gets his coi signed off "by a friend down the road" https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2313635988

probably safe and legit enough, but it would be a stupid buy and sugar is over ten times cheaper anyway

plenty of unanswered questions on his auctions, at least some will relate to afb history...

Edited by tommy dave

6 hours ago, Phil46 said:

Anyone else seen this  on TradeMe...Frames of capped honey for sale as spring feed honey!.It is also suggested in the description that this a better option than feeding sugar!

I have asked whether they are a registered beekeeper and whether this is safe practice? I didnt think it was.

Its obviously for human consumption, the clue is in the reference to comb Honey

46 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Its obviously for human consumption, the clue is in the reference to comb Honey

??? Thats not how I read it Philbee,initially that was the beekeepers intention,however change of tactic on their part...better to feed bees honey rather than sugar and also...bees dont mind.Then theres the heading ....spring feed honey

Another caution would be tutin testing.My understanding was,comb honey is at a higher risk of tutin poisoning ? Other frames from the hive could have been tested but whos to know.

Or are you having a serve @Philbee

1 minute ago, Phil46 said:

??? Thats not how I read it Philbee,initially that was the beekeepers intention,however change of tactic on their part...better to feed bees honey rather than sugar and also...bees dont mind.Then theres the heading ....spring feed honey

Another caution would be tutin testing.My understanding was,comb honey is at a higher risk of tutin poisoning ? Other frames from the hive could have been tested but whos to know.

Or are you having a serve @Philbee

No one is going to pay $5 a kg for feed honey but plenty will pay that for a frame of honey like that.

• Agree 1

Crystallized comb honey tastes like ####,IMO 😄

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ChrisM said:

Listing has been withdrawn 

still trying to sell a bunch of jarred honey, and boxes with frames that have had the comb removed...

also, the honey frame listing suggests that it was closed due to selling one item and then choosing to close it..

Edited by tommy dave

my listing says closed at $25 but looking at the honey sales its ocming from Hidden Valley Honey, who have just yesterday created a bunch of social media pages, so expect more.
no company name showing up on searches, but appears to be listed as Waiheke island

Reading this thread it seems to me like a bunch of vigilanties reside on this forum.  It would seem that if someone has a different opinion, that members want to close them down.

"Vigilantism is the act of enacting perceived justice summarily and without legal authority"

Which law has a person selling honey on trade me broken  ??

There are many sellers of honey in pots and drums of honey on trade me and other sites.  This honey can be used for any purpose including feeding bees, which is not illegal.

So why all this Vigilantism

Edited by morporks
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Chill Out 1

I thought you had to wear undies on the outside to be a vigilante...

Edited by Josh

Or some kind of insect mask  Spiderman, antman, beeman etc 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, morporks said:

Because there are people reading this forum and trademe new to beekeeping who don’t have the knowledge of how dangerous it can be feeding honey back to bees. 

While not illegal, feeding honey from an unknown source is very bad practice and potentially very damaging to all beekeepers in the area. 

• Agree 4

Hi @morporksthere are hobby, commercial , newbies and experienced beekeepers on this site and all those in between. We are here to help and learn from each other. We also hope to nurture, promote and protect the industry at the same. For some it is our lifestyle, living and for most our obsession and passion. 

Feeding honey is not best practice, even if it’s your own honey and you are as sure as you can be that it is safe. Feeding someone else’s honey to your bees is a bit like bungy jumping with a dodgy cable. (Or buying and using secondhand bee gear.) Might be okay, could be a down right disaster.

Burning hives because of afb sucks if you have two hives, two hundred hives or two thousand hives. Listening to them die after you’ve poured petrol into them when you’ve nurtured them is down right heartbreaking.

If we can stop people from making mistakes because they didn’t know any better or weren’t aware of the risk, then try we will.

If that makes us vigilante then perhaps this isn’t the site for you.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Bron said:

Might be okay, could be a down right disaster.

and there is a lot more disasters happening out there than you realize.

the other thing is its extremely difficult to get people out of bad habits later on. on of the difficult things about it is people can be doing bad practises for decades and they in turn teach everyone to do it, but it bites someone in the rear at some point. but they keep on teaching others to do the bad thing which got someone in the crap.

people need to do it right, from day one. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, morporks said:

Reading this thread it seems to me like a bunch of vigilanties reside on this forum.  It would seem that if someone has a different opinion, that members want to close them down.

"Vigilantism is the act of enacting perceived justice summarily and without legal authority"

There are many sellers of honey in pots and drums of honey on trade me and other sites.  This honey can be used for any purpose including feeding bees, which is not illegal.

The seller in this case has not stated that the Honey has not been Tutin tested so is therefore a significant health risk.

Had he done so then the listing could have been reasonably considered a genuine sale of feed Honey as the warning would scare potential Human consumers off.
In the absents of this warning it is reasonable to consider the listing as a likely sale of Table Honey.

Given that there is no guarantee of when or where the Honey was actually produced

Edited by Philbee

7 hours ago, morporks said:

if selling for human consumption, as this seller is - by the jar:

1 - there are rules/laws about confirmed tutin status that vary by extraction time and hive location

2 - there are rules/laws about labelling of honey for sale

3 - there are rules/laws about where the honey is extracted and how subsequently stored.

Based on the trade me ads, there are reasonable questions to be asked with respect to all three of these for this particular seller of honey.

The fact that the seller refuses to answer these questions rings alarm bells

Not sure why you have a problem with people wanting confirmation that the law is being obeyed?

Edited by tommy dave
  • Agree 1

Tommy Dave

There are lots of laws to be followed. 

Do you ask every seller of honey that you see on trade me or other market locations to supply tutin test results or harvest documents showing tutin status.   Pretty sure you dont 

Do you know what the labeling laws are and do you go into the super market checking labels on the shelf for compliance ?  If you did you would know a lot of the labels are not quite correct   

Do you really understand the laws of storage and at what point a product becomes a processed product and a non process product ?  Even auditors can have problems with the concept

The point here is someone has decided they dont like the look of the add,  maybe its the colour of the honey or a spelling mistake, who knows what.  And now seller is being harassed in a public forum.   

Some members talk about education on the fourm, I am sure good teachers know that making the student look foolish in front of the other students/peers a is sure way to suppress the students willingness to learn and be part of the class  

So if you have concerns dont be a vigilante.  Be a mentor 

10 minutes ago, morporks said:

The point here is someone has decided they dont like the look of the add,  maybe its the colour of the honey or a spelling mistake, who knows what.     

That's not correct. The specific concerns that attracted attention have been well explained.

• Agree 1

morpork, Are you selling this honey, nowhere on here say;s what part of nz you are from,

p.s if you want more i have some

Edited by kevin moore
  • Haha 1

@kevin moore off topic just quickly but wondering if you sent samples from your dwindly hives away to be tested and if you did have you had the results back yet?

also how are the hives looking now ?