Diane

Pollen and mold

Hi there

Will bees clean up or too much pollen and mold? Covers 3/4 of frame. I'm thinking a redo. 

20191008_171308.jpg

• Like 1

I’d chuck it out 👍.

A strong hive will clean it up , but they’ll drop it all on the floor . They’d be better spending their energy drawing a fresh frame .

That stuff goes well buried in the vege garden 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks, will do. Compost it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diane said:

Thanks, will do. Compost it is.

Any frames with pollen in them go in the freezer over winter .

2 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Any frames with pollen in them go in the freezer over winter .

I don't have a large enough freezer to hold 50 plus boxes.

I grade frames like that harder than I would clean frames but if it was reasonably new and in good condition other than the mould I would give it to a strong hive to clean up.Cleaning up old gear is hard work and bees like hard work more than I do.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I don't have a large enough freezer to hold 50 plus boxes.

So what do you do with frames of pollen at the end of winter .

Do you ever have surplus ones .

1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

So what do you do with frames of pollen at the end of winter .

Do you ever have surplus ones .

Yes. Of course I have surplus pollen frames.

Like @john berry I grade my frames very carefully.  

Frames that have pollen (ex brood frames) are susceptible to wax moth.  These frames I store in standard boxes but only 6 frames per box (equally spaced).  This stops the wax moth generating their own heat.

Over winter I will recheck these frames at least twice and I reject the heavily moulded ones and I clean them up.  Slight moulding goes back to the bees for clean up during the spring build up.

It is a lot of work but I think the results are worth it.

• Thanks 1

I have stored pollen in a box from a dead out in the autumn and it has not gone mouldy, mind you it was in the super along with honey and not stored in thefreezer.

• Good Info 1

I was wondering if the mould was due to putting the boxes in the freezer for 24 to 48 hours before storing for the winter. I guess when I do that any pollen or old brood would be damp from the freezing and go mouldy. The garage is dry.  Mould is better than wax moth. 

18 minutes ago, Diane said:

I was wondering if the mould was due to putting the boxes in the freezer for 24 to 48 hours before storing for the winter. I guess when I do that any pollen or old brood would be damp from the freezing and go mouldy. The garage is dry.  Mould is better than wax moth. 

If I freeze frames for wax moth I clean them up with the hose then put in a warm spot to dry completely before storage .

Sometimes during freezing pollen will shrink and can be hosed out .

Wax is very brittle when frozen , make sure it is thawed Before applying the hose .

1 hour ago, Diane said:

Once the bees aren’t looking after pollen , all kinds of things  set about breaking it down and recycling it . Mould , wax  moth , pollen mites to name a few . That’s nature at work 

• Like 1