Markypoo

NZBF will hives finish off rearing a queen

Say I transferred a frame of brood to a weaker hive that had a queen cell a couple of days along in the process, would the recipient hive finish the off, if they were queenless? Or would they look for young larvae from their old queen?  Just thinking that if I had a hive I was going to requeen, I could speed up the process a little. Not that I am going to do it, but just a thought I had.

8 hours ago, Markypoo said:

Say I transferred a frame of brood to a weaker hive that had a queen cell a couple of days along in the process, would the recipient hive finish the off, if they were queenless? Or would they look for young larvae from their old queen?  Just thinking that if I had a hive I was going to requeen, I could speed up the process a little. Not that I am going to do it, but just a thought I had.

They should finish it off. I think it would be better to leave the queen cell in the Stronger hive until it’s capped though as she’ll probably be better fed. 

• Agree 1

In my experience , they will tear down the cell , probably because they know it isn’t theirs, and make another , or more 

I've never done this with an uncapped cell, so I don't know.

However if the queenless hive has been queenless for a few hours or even overnight, then I think it will be happy to accept all the help it can get. Matt says he has experience of them being torn down, so maybe they have to be capped and/or there is a minimum period of time where they need to be queenless so that they are all singing off the same hymn sheet. Of course also assuming there are aren't several hundred laying workers...

You could always wrap some tin foil around the sides. 

• Agree 1

I think I will take the answer as "Probably not a good idea!"

I use two day cells a lot and I can't see why these would be any different from what you are proposing.In my experience a queenless hive will take whatever it is given..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah, I have a hive that in theory should have had a queen emerge a couple of weeks ago, yet I can't find any eggs. I put a frame of capped brood, grubs and eggs in today and will see if they draw anything out. I have been told it may be too soon to see eggs. I put a frame of eggs in last week and they haven't drawn any queen cells so I am assuming there may be a queen in there somewhere. I was just considering options. I have a spare queen sitting in a nuc but don't want to risk her being killed.

if they dont raise emergency cells from brood they wont accept another queen. They either already have got one or dont feel queenless for whatever reason.

judging from the background and considering the weather in the past days you probably want to wait another week or two. if you dont have eggs by then (properly laid eggs in a tidy pattern by a queen, not workers) id shake the bees to the ground close to another healthy hive. (how you exactly do it depends on the circumstances)

in a few weeks you can make a split from that one

1 hour ago, john berry said:

I use two day cells a lot and I can't see why these would be any different from what you are proposing.In my experience a queenless hive will take whatever it is given..

Protected ?

3 hours ago, Markypoo said:

I have a hive that in theory should have had a queen emerge a couple of weeks ago, yet I can't find any eggs. I put a frame of capped brood, grubs and eggs in today and will see if they draw anything out.

is this a completely different hive to the one in the OP? I'm getting confused... my opinion would change completely if this was the "queenless" hive you were talking about and you have now dripfeed more info (?).

Original post was just me asking a question, just a general query after I had a thought (which my wife tells me can be dangerous). I wasn't thinking about any particular hive.

Coincidentally,  I then checked a hive today that should have a new queen and didn't see one, or eggs. I was expecting to and the follow up post was about that hive. I am not bothered. trying to avoid doing the newbie thing and panicing. Like I said, I put in a frame of brood, eggs and grub and if they need a new queen then they will make one. And I have a spare in a nuc. So I will look again in a weeks time. If there are new eggs, or queen cells drawn then I will have a better idea of what is going on. It is early enough in the season that I am sure it will be a productive hive eventually.

• Like 1

I don't use protection for the cells whatever the age. I have been thinking about trying a few protected two day cells to try and induce supersedure.I have tried protected 10 day cells in the past (without dequeening )and found the results to variable.

Whenever I’ve made queenless nucs with an open or capped queen cell on a frame from another hive , it’s always  been torn down and they’ve started again . 

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

Whenever I’ve made queenless nucs with an open or capped queen cell on a frame from another hive , it’s always  been torn down and they’ve started again . 

Hard case and possibly not very helpful to the thread but I have the opposite to Matt, 

I regularly use Q cells built via swarm urge and place in a freshly made nuc using all the same bees/ brood. 

I find mixing up bees from different colonies they will draw their own cells from eggs and remove any existing.  

I use cells staged from an egg in cup through to emerging always made from the same bees/colony and with good success. 

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Hard case and possibly not very helpful to the thread but I have the opposite to Matt, 

I regularly use Q cells built via swarm urge and place in a freshly made nuc using all the same bees/ brood. 

I find mixing up bees from different colonies they will draw their own cells from eggs and remove any existing.  

I use cells staged from an egg in cup through to emerging always made from the same bees/colony and with good success. 

Yep , we are saying the same thing .  Lol

If I add a frame with a cell to a different colony of queenless bees , they tear it down and make their own 😉

• Agree 1

Sorry Matt .. just re read your post. Been a long day. 

• Like 1