little miky

When does Manuka flower around Auckland and Wangarei

as I’m moving from Nelson to Auckland

There has been manuka in flower pretty much continuously for the last three months on SH 1 between Albany and Silverdale, and elsewhere. Useless to bees because of the ambient temperature. Elsewere in Auck, still coming into flower. It is an area of many and varied micro-climates.

I wouldn’t look I wouldn’t look at the flowers next to the road. They just get heat from the road. It should only flower for 2-6 weeks 

4 hours ago, little miky said:

as I’m moving from Nelson to Auckland

When i was up at a mates in Huia collecting crayfish six weeks ago.The manuka was flowering well out that way then. Saw some guy goin through his hives on a terrace above an intersection headin out that way. Looked like a nice spot ( for Auckland that is )

flowering depends on what type. they can have different times. also there is large amount of planted manuka about which can vary greatly.

however just because it flowers doesn't mean you get anything. spring weather here is temperamental, there can be competing sources and there is tons and tons of competing beeks.

i'ts not a good manuka aera and with the new rules i don't know how much of it will even pass. 

Some areas within the Auckland region have been flowering since August, and have probably peaked now and starting to wane.  Whereas in other area's manuka is just starting to bud up, so it is very dependent on microclimates in each area, manuka type, location and weather. 

In the boondocks, the occasional specimen is months away from flowering.