Diane

Conference and queen research

Hi all

I had a fantastic time at the NZ bee conference at Waikato University last month and won some great raffle prizes. I signed up to be part of a research looking at queens with veroa cleaning traits. Looking at 1 with and 1 without this. It will be fascinating to see how the 2 colonies do. I won't know which is which queen but they will have a different mark each. I will let you know how they get on through the season. I will be collecting data on how the hive and queens do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

I am taking part as well. Looking forward to it although I'm a bit disappointed they are supplying virgin Queens rather than  mated Queen's. Virgins can work but they are nowhere near as reliable and I hope not too many people end up with one or both Queens missing. Any queens trying to mate around here today would end up somewhere in South America.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, john berry said:

I am taking part as well. Looking forward to it although I'm a bit disappointed they are supplying virgin Queens rather than  mated Queen's. Virgins can work but they are nowhere near as reliable and I hope not too many people end up with one or both Queens missing. Any queens trying to mate around here today would end up somewhere in South America.

Why are they supplying virgins?

36 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Why are they supplying virgins?

Cheaper, research funding is limited.

Durey the drone DNA contribution needs to come from AFB & non-AFB capable lineage too. Otherwise it’s a genetic Lilly scramble making the whole project a lottery?

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

Durey the drone DNA contribution needs to come from AFB & non-AFB capable lineage too. Otherwise it’s a genetic Lilly scramble making the whole project a lottery?

What's AFB got to do with Varroa hygiene ?

• Agree 1

Nothing at all... but Glenlivet has something to do with poor typing

4 hours ago, yesbut said:

Cheaper, research funding is limited.

If research funding is limited then mated Queens would be provided as there is no difference in production cost between the two.

Just a couple - 4 weeks

I guess if you were needing 2 queens for each participant and say they wanted 100 study pairs, that's alot of resources to get those queens mated before sending them.

9 hours ago, Philbee said:

If research funding is limited then mated Queens would be provided as there is no difference in production cost between the two.

Just a couple - 4 weeks

So time isn't money ?   

It's not just time. It's the fact that you could raise say 50 cells in one or two hives, hatch them into cages and ship them. To do 50 mated queens you would probably need say, 70 nucleus colonies, which would have to be stocked with bees (a drain on your other colonies), fed, managed for a month or so, and paid for

Hence the price difference, and the keeness of some to sell virgins rather than mated queens.

• Agree 1

For a research project the cost in the small amount of time  required to get a Queen  mated and laying needs to be balanced against the cost of losing valuable time when a virgin is lost within the research period.
There is so much anecdotal evidences against  using caged Virgins why would someone include them in a research project

Unless there is a requirement for the Queens to mate locally??

• Agree 3

I don't know anything about this project but can only assume it is being run on a shoestring.

Problem with sending 2 unmated queens to a hobbyist is that there is around a 50% odds that one of them will not mate. (25% per queen). So that will dent the results.

• Agree 2