If I had a strong 5 frame nuc right now and I pop in a freshly mated spring queen, or even an autumn queen, could it build up enough to get a crop off? It is still quite cold down here, even the odd frost. Maybe give it a pollen pattie and some syrup to stimulate it. For a colleague who is starting out and has plenty of drawn comb from a failed attempt 2 years ago (colony collaped due to using thymovar and hope as a varroa treatment and was robbed out).

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to super my 3 frame mating nucs and get 3 fd frames of honey, so sure you can, just depends on the forage, Bees and weather

I regularly get a full box of honey or more off what is a nuc now...or even a december nuc  

Most definitely should get a crop off it, or a split, but probably not both. It is only the very start of the season, anything can happen but as always it depends on the weather and the density o

40 minutes ago, Markypoo said:

If I had a strong 5 frame nuc right now and I pop in a freshly mated spring queen, or even an autumn queen, could it build up enough to get a crop off? It is still quite cold down here, even the odd frost. Maybe give it a pollen pattie and some syrup to stimulate it. For a colleague who is starting out and has plenty of drawn comb from a failed attempt 2 years ago (colony collaped due to using thymovar and hope as a varroa treatment and was robbed out).

I used to super my 3 frame mating nucs and get 3 fd frames of honey, so sure you can, just depends on the forage, Bees and weather

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
9 hours ago, Markypoo said:

Most definitely should get a crop off it, or a split, but probably not both.

It is only the very start of the season, anything can happen but as always it depends on the weather and the density of hives around.

I have definitely been finding I get a much smaller crop in some areas where I have ‘new neighbors’

• Agree 1
19 hours ago, Markypoo said:

I have 8x6 frame nucs with 2x brood boxes each, 3 of them have 2 honey supers on now full of necter the others not far behind