tristan

afb frames dumped

"Beehive frames infected with American Foulbrood disease dumped at Northland transfer station"

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-advocate/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503450&objectid=12272701

"Beehive frames infected with the devastating American Foulbrood disease dumped at a Northland transfer station has put nearby hives at risk and angered those in the industry.

It's believed the 40 diseased frames, that were stuffed inside Ballance fertiliser bags, were dumped late on Wednesday at the Kokopu Transfer Station, west of Whangārei."

• Sad 7

You would think.it would be cheaper to burn them than pay dump fees .

FFS! So they’ve spread AFB and kept the remaining gear to propagate more AFB

So incredibly stupid. 🤬

• Agree 1

Not all beekeepers know the rules , and not all are registered 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tristan said:

"Beehive frames infected with American Foulbrood disease dumped at Northland transfer station"

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-advocate/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503450&objectid=12272701

"Beehive frames infected with the devastating American Foulbrood disease dumped at a Northland transfer station has put nearby hives at risk and angered those in the industry.

It's believed the 40 diseased frames, that were stuffed inside Ballance fertiliser bags, were dumped late on Wednesday at the Kokopu Transfer Station, west of Whangārei."

Gee I really hope they caught the culprit 🤬 what a noddy

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, M4tt said:

Not all beekeepers know the rules , and not all are registered 

Education is key, but so is a proactive process of finding hives that aren’t registered. Identify the owner, get them registered or destroy the hives. 

I wish our industry/hobby suppliers would get onboard and insist on selling gear only to those who are registered. 

Edited by Josh

9 hours ago, Josh said:

Education is key, but so is a proactive process of finding hives that aren’t registered. Identify the owner, get them registered or destroy the hives. 

I wish our industry/hobby suppliers would get onboard and insist on selling gear only to those who are registered. 

It may have been a registered beekeeper who dropped off the frames, registration is not a gauge on whether that person is competent or not.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

It may have been a registered beekeeper who dropped off the frames, registration is not a gauge on whether that person is competent or not.

Absolutely, but registration infers some degree of traceability and notification. Unregistered means complete ignorance and hidden from all communications.

If MPI/AFB/whoever tolerate and wilfully neglect registration, why should anyone bother. New Zealand cannot control or remove AFB while people like this continue

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Absolutely, but registration infers some degree of traceability and notification. Unregistered means complete ignorance and hidden from all communications.

If MPI/AFB/whoever tolerate and wilfully neglect registration, why should anyone bother. New Zealand cannot control or remove AFB while people like this continue

We unfortunately will never catch all these people, nor will we eliminate AFB.

But it’s a noble quest.

Not that long ago there was a beekeeper here who’s hives were filthy with foulbrood, it was like where’s wally trying to find his hives so the management agency could notify him so he could rehide them again and we could restart the search 🤦‍♀️

Round and round for years, not a thing anyone could do.

Eventually I think he got too old to keep bees because we stopped finding them popping up, god only knows what happened to his gear. I like to think it was burnt, but I doubt it, probably sitting in a shed somewhere.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Daley said:

We unfortunately will never catch all these people, nor will we eliminate AFB.

But it’s a noble quest.

Not that long ago there was a beekeeper here who’s hives were filthy with foulbrood, it was like where’s wally trying to find his hives so the management agency could notify him so he could rehide them again and we could restart the search 🤦‍♀️

Round and round for years, not a thing anyone could do.

Eventually I think he got too old to keep bees because we stopped finding them popping up, god only knows what happened to his gear. I like to think it was burnt, but I doubt it, probably sitting in a shed somewhere.

So frustrating. From what I read, an area South of me is going through a similar experience 

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

So frustrating. From what I read, an area South of me is going through a similar experience 

It is frustrating. You badly want to burn them but you know you can’t.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Daley said:

Yup

9 hours ago, Daley said:

What do you think the rationale was behind his behaviour .

It would have hurt him as much as anyone else .

47 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

What do you think the rationale was behind his behaviour .

It would have hurt him as much as anyone else .

I honestly have no idea, he was an older guy that had been beekeeping for a really long time, maybe he thought he knew better.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Daley said:

I honestly have no idea, he was an older guy that had been beekeeping for a really long time, maybe he thought he knew better.

You must  admit the enormous toll of mass burnings .....maybe he felt less stress his way....when was the last great AFB die off that wasn't caused by matches ?

22 hours ago, Josh said:

No registration only means your registered, does not make you comply or communicate, your ethics and amount of responsibility for your self and those around you make you comply and communicate. I'm sure we all know beeks in both camps that would be better if they swapped camps. 

• Agree 1

On 3/10/2019 at 10:13 PM, Josh said:

Yeah, there's AFB alerts all around Timaru. I am surrounded by it. Had my hives inspected  by the agency.

I am within 2km of an AFB infected hive. One of my colleagues is dating a commercial Beek. He had hives 3.5km from me and had the same notification. Everytime I walk the dogs I glare at a couple of hives that are in the right spot to be the potential infected ones.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Markypoo said:

Everytime I walk the dogs I glare at a couple of hives that are in the right spot to be the potential infected ones.

But wouldn't the infected hives, the ones that caused the 2km notification, have been destroyed already? The ones you are seeing could also be infected, but wouldn't be the ones that had been notified.

15 hours ago, Markypoo said:

Yeah, there's AFB alerts all around Timaru. I am surrounded by it. Had my hives inspected  by the agency.

I am within 2km of an AFB infected hive. One of my colleagues is dating a commercial Beek. He had hives 3.5km from me and had the same notification. Everytime I walk the dogs I glare at a couple of hives that are in the right spot to be the potential infected ones.

Next walk you take with the dog, bump a hive over, blame it on the dog and as you putting it together have a check.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Next walk you take with the dog, bump a hive over, blame it on the dog and as you putting it together have a check.

Next time you walk the dog, wearing a veil and coincidentally carrying a lit smoker & tool. 🤥

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Or ring Asure Quality and ask if it is a registered apiary - if it is, like Markypoo's hives, an AP 2 will have already inspected it.

One thing that could be done, would be for Assure Quality to use an app like “Snap Send Solve”. A concerned citizen can take a geotagged photo of an issue (knocked over hives, unmarked hives, suspected abandoned hives etc) and submit it with an wee discription of the issue. 

My experience with this system here in Christchurch has been fantastic 

3 hours ago, Sailabee said:

Or ring Asure Quality and ask if it is a registered apiary - if it is, like Markypoo's hives, an AP 2 will have already inspected it.

I can't see any registration numbers on them, at least on the sides visible from the road. Maybe I should do just that.

5 hours ago, PhilEvans said:

But wouldn't the infected hives, the ones that caused the 2km notification, have been destroyed already? The ones you are seeing could also be infected, but wouldn't be the ones that had been notified.

The message was that an AFB infected robbed out hive was discovered within 2km.  It would have been destroyed, but if these ones were in the same apiary they may be ticking time bombs. Of course there could well be other hives around that are the guilty ones.

These frames were dumped after hours on Wednesday.  Dump is closed Thursday and Friday.  When the waste care team arrived Saturday morning they couldn't get in for robbing bees. They called my mate Trevor Clifton who came in and inspected them finding AFB. He killed as many robbing bees as possible with petrol and secured them until being burned and buried on a nearby farm. There is a large apiary/dump site owned by other friends of mine just 800 meters away. These are very strong hives ready to go out to other sites. These poor guys are reeling at the probable loss of lots of these hives and the work that will have to go into inspections and quarsnteening these hives and gear. Very sad situation. 

• Sad 8

Has anyone here witnessed first hand the loss of a significant number of hives from undetected AFB infection ?  I don't mean burning, I mean undetected infection resulting in total loss.