Trevor Gillbanks

October 2019 Apiary Diary

1 hour ago, tristan said:

new is probably not the correct term, it hasn't been all that common.

however now we have far more people who take honey off wet so they can move hives to the next flow, and then get their honey dried and heat treated (for CFU's).

i would be interested to see what setup you have. i have seen some that don;t require high heat. have toyed with the idea on putting something in the extraction plant so its dried if required before its drummed especially has the honey is still warm.

Honey is spread out over a large area, around 30 sq. metres and "dryish" air from the dehumidifier(s) is blown over the surface. All done in a small polypanel room, where the dehumidifiers extract the moisture from the air. This little room is upstairs; honey pump from the holding tank below to it and the honey drains by gravity down into the holding tank again. Honey temperature is controlled by the room temperature, which is controlled by an air conditioning unit. The system takes a certain amount of water out of the honey per hour, so you circulate the honey for a time depending on starting moisture content of the honey, target and quantity.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 3

1 hour ago, kevin moore said:

so is this honey passed over a hot surface like pasteurization, but not as hot maybe !

it is pasteurisation. high CFU count can mean it needs to go through heat treatment.

afaik  the honey is heated up quickly then cooled down quickly aka flash heating. the principle here is the short length of time keeps the damage to the honey to a minimum. 

the other thing to keep in mind afaik with moisture removal is MGO decreases as you loose some of it with the water thats taken out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, yesbut said:

As opposed to heating it to 70c  then hitting it with a vacuum...

Can be done at 40 degrees c with the right setup.

• Like 1

The hive with queen cells 7 days ago is now queenless and without eggs .

I saw eggs when I last looked and destroyed two queen cells .

This queen has only had 4 legs as long as I have known her .

I may have destroyed supersedure cells . But at this time of yr I assumed they were swarm cells .

They are making a couple more  cells but they look small .

F0C8727B-A0F3-4737-B12F-0C5A08CD9AC2.jpeg

Here's an interest . It was the swarm we caught last Friday and dropped into a box of foundation. After five days of cool wet weather they have drawn the foundation . 

Well .... Trev is obviously the Man with the Mana.

The emails have been running hot from the team at the Asure quality hotline.

The short of the long is that they sent me a copy of the test results ...... having tested for exotic incursions ..... Tropilelaps, Scutellata genes ( African) and something else.

I did'nt quite understand the test results but the gist of  it is  that all samples turned up negative ..... so the border has not been breached and we can sleep easy tonight.

MPI are restricted to only test for exotic incursions. Toxic events fall under the jurisdiction of the EPA and is not taxpayer funded.

More samples have gone to Gisborne .... for a second opinion.

I do wonder at the disjointedness of our industry. On the one hand I watch the news  see honey selling in London for a great price, and I read of millions of dollars being donated to support a minority honey, forgive me , but quantity wise Manuka is a slim player,  while out back  at the Back Stump where the majority of beekeepers are we have to give up our weekly crate to fund some testing on the critters that sustain us and untold free pollination contracts .

I'm telling yah ..... it's a good job the Crate is empty tonight.

Particularly after one of those Crass days when ever landowner starts question why their honey is'nt worth $3000 on the shelf.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

F0C8727B-A0F3-4737-B12F-0C5A08CD9AC2.jpeg

Here's an interest . It was the swarm we caught last Friday and dropped into a box of foundation. After five days of cool wet weather they have drawn the foundation . 

Well .... Trev is obviously the Man with the Mana.

The emails have been running hot from the team at the Asure quality hotline.

The short of the long is that they sent me a copy of the test results ...... having tested for exotic incursions ..... Tropilelaps, Scutellata genes ( African) and something else.

I did'nt quite understand the test results but the gist of  it is  that all samples turned up negative ..... so the border has not been breached and we can sleep easy tonight.

MPI are restricted to only test for exotic incursions. Toxic events fall under the jurisdiction of the EPA and is not taxpayer funded.

More samples have gone to Gisborne .... for a second opinion.

I do wonder at the disjointedness of our industry. On the one hand I watch the news  see honey selling in London for a great price, and I read of millions of dollars being donated to support a minority honey, forgive me , but quantity wise Manuka is a slim player,  while out back  at the Back Stump where the majority of beekeepers are we have to give up our weekly crate to fund some testing on the critters that sustain us and untold free pollination contracts .

I'm telling yah ..... it's a good job the Crate is empty tonight.

Particularly after one of those Crass days when ever landowner starts question why their honey is'nt worth $3000 on the shelf.

If theres any truth in rumour airborne paying 1.50kg clover dark 3$ clover light?? They'll be no crate for me either

11 minutes ago, Nuc_man said:

If theres any truth in rumour airborne paying 1.50kg clover dark 3$ clover light?? They'll be no crate for me either

I hate these kinds of rumours.

I certainly hope there’s no truth to them, and if there is then I would love to know why this isn’t reflected in their retail price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daley said:

I certainly hope there’s no truth to them, and if there is then I would love to know why this isn’t reflected in their retail price.

I really hope it's only a rumor 

2 minutes ago, Daley said:

It never will be, they reckon they have to make money as well.

1 minute ago, Bighands said:

It never will be, they reckon they have to make money as well.

Of course they do.

But their countdown price is between $1.60 and $2.10 per 100gm for clover and if they are supposedly paying that per kg.. well... I wouldn’t sell to them.

• Like 1

Yeah  ..... I heard the rumour ..... a one off opportunist buy to help keep an operation afloat.

• Good Info 1

3 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Yeah  ..... I heard the rumour ..... a one off opportunist buy to help keep an operation afloat.

Presumably the operation wasn't airborne ?

• Haha 2

@3$ kg only need a 90 kg crop to be viable just,maybe or if I'm lucky enough to produce dark clover 180kg. The first 66 kg 'cost of drum 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If the honey price for normal honey / bush / multi-floral has not recovered (and I don't expect it to) and so is still less than $5/kg I will leave it on the hives this season.  That leaves manuka and pohutukawa.....  

1 minute ago, CraBee said:

If the honey price for normal honey / bush / multi-floral has not recovered (and I don't expect it to) and so is still less than $5/kg I will leave it on the hives this season.  That leaves manuka and pohutukawa.....  

If ya all leave that clover on... Good for those who do take off...

Uh ... huh .... you just gotta take it off and stick it in the shed for a rainy day ..... an if you don't like the idea of that, I'd suggest you go fishing or exit the industry.

And any way ...... who won Lotto ?

Edited by jamesc
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Uh ... huh .... you just gotta take it off and stick it in the shed for a rainy day ..... an if you don't like the idea of that, I'd suggest you go fishing or exit the industry.

And any way ...... who won Lotto ?

Hopefully me.

I’m having another baby 😅🤣

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, CraBee said:

If this is a typical spring going forward then leaving the bush  honey on could become the norm
I know that leaving mine on didn't create the problems that it could have

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Philbee said:

If this is a typical spring going forward then leaving the bush  honey on could become the norm
I know that leaving mine on didn't create the problems that it could have

No future in that for the majority of people.

8 minutes ago, Daley said:

Hopefully me.

I’m having another baby 😅🤣

Very nice.

Riley will have someone to fight with.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

No future in that for the majority of people.

No

However it beats having a million pigs loose in the bush with African Swine flu.

Edited by Philbee

22 minutes ago, Philbee said:

No

However it beats having a million pigs loose in the bush with African Swine flu.

Same ending big hole and fire

• Agree 1

is there anyone on this site that has a market or regularly selling " Delish NZ Bush Honey" here in NZ or overseas?

2 hours ago, Phil46 said:

is there anyone on this site that has a market or regularly selling " Delish NZ Bush Honey" here in NZ or overseas?

Sure do . What are you thinking .