Trevor Gillbanks

October 2019 Apiary Diary

33 minutes ago, yesbut said:

None of that glossy paper would have been made here....all imported.

Trees still died in the making of this story.

Much like the coal that we import to make electricity so that we do not use our own coal.

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I see the latest Beekeeper magazine came out today with twice as much advertising material.  

I don't mind getting the magazine as it has some good information, but it does annoy me that a lot of trees have died just so I can throw it into the recycle bin unread.

There was very little in there for a hobbyist .

I presume the suppliers of gear are doing it hard too and beeks have shut their wallets .

Its a wonder they can still afford to produce  the glossy catalogues.

Completely wasted on me .

Posted (edited)

Final pre flow round completed today. AFB check, varroa mite check, make sure nothing is starving, swarm control, super up if needed, boost anything weak.

Final pre flow.jpg

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Alastair said:

Final pre flow round completed today. AFB check, varroa mite check, make sure nothing is starving, swarm control, super up if needed, boost anything weak.

Final pre flow.jpg

Is the 4 box hive a lot stronger than the others ?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I wish. Have a look to the right, you will see a bottom board and lid. That is a hive that went queenless in winter, too late to requeen so it was combined with the next door hive, it will be re-split when I have queen cells.

Although a number of those hives did get a third box today, apiary on the whole looking pretty good. The pic was taken before I worked the bees.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Covered a fair bit of ground today. Putaruru to far side of Hamilton then out to Mangatautari to work hives. Light flow coming in and swarm cells starting to appear. Hives are building up nicely for honey flow in December/January. Then off to Tokoroa apiaries where it is a mixed bag of results. Old queen hives are behind where they should be but the queens from last season are going gangbusters and I needed to put a second and even a third FD box on to the hives.

Moving some hives in to Avocado pollination in a couple of days as well.

Busy week 🐝 

• Like 4

I started stretching brood today and adding one undrawn frame per brood box smack bang in the middle . Some hives are 3 X 3/4 boxes high . I don’t equalise colonies . 

Some frames had swarm type play cells under neath in the second box , which got scraped off . Nothing in them though 

• Like 2

I picked a couple of nice strong hives to bring home on the weekend. These will be be cell raising hives. Amazingly strong hives that overwintered with Oxalic/Glycerine strips in. There wasn’t a sign of any varroa in the opened drone brood that was between the two boxes. 12 frames of amazing clean brood in each hive and not a sign of any DWV

Makes the sore back at the end of a long day of working hives worth it. 🐝 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, dansar said:

Makes the sore back at the end of a long day of working hives worth it. 🐝 

This guy is well worth watching.....very applicable to beeking.....

He keeps saying he will share something amazing with us, but doesn't actually do it unless i watch his next 50 videos. Not going to, because he might get to the point with some groundbreaking fact, or he might not.

• Agree 1

16 actually 

He’s actually not wrong 

27 minutes ago, Alastair said:

He keeps saying he will share something amazing with us, but doesn't actually do it unless i watch his next 50 videos. Not going to, because he might get to the point with some groundbreaking fact, or he might not.

Swallow your impatience. It doesn't take that long. As I said before VERY relevant to beeking.

• Agree 1

Another day perhaps, today has been a long one.

10 minutes ago, M4tt said:

16 actually 

He’s actually not wrong 

I’ve been misunderstood again dammit !

The dude in the video is not wrong . It’s well worth watching 👍😉

This morning I woke with a bad headache and I took two panadol .

It fixed the headache but it also helped my arthritis that had developed in my knee because a broke it in an accident 10yrs ago .

I am now wondering how old you have to be before you can start taking pain pills every day .

I have always been wary of taking stuff because I thought that if I did I may have stuffed kidneys etc in  30 yrs .

But I am 63 and I am thinking  I may not be so worried about my kidneys in 30 yrs .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, cBank said:

I had a hive go queenless (it’s likely I killed her by accident). It was a strong hive and getting big fast. There were heaps of emergency cells, so I made 2 splits with the best ones and left 2 nice ones in the hive. They’ll sort it out and the best queen will win right?

Yup, they sorted it out. What an idiot.

E98F5011-531A-44C5-8A3B-B5056CA270CE.jpeg

You may have mistaken “emergency” cells with swarm cells.. the old queen does not lay eggs right up to the big exit.. often there is no sign of the old queen as the first virgins emerge.. 

yesterday we had a rager in a yard, they were all ragers  but  this one was big, no eggs, no marked Q, only 5-6 day old Q sign,  the bees appear to do a “stop and vibrate” dance at this point of swarming..

I figure communicating the imminent first virgins emergence.. 

there is definitely a point of no return where it doesn’t really matter the manipulation you perform they will still go hang in a bush.. 

• Like 1

Better note this down in the next H&S meeting.

6A2363A9-0962-46B2-8504-8055E5549C94.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

You may have mistaken “emergency” cells with swarm cells.. the old queen does not lay eggs right up to the big exit.. 

Good thought, thanks.

The queen was marked and the laying stopping coincided with an inspection, so I assumed that when I couldn’t find her. The swarm happened very close the day the cell hatched. I need to check my diary but I think it swarmed the day it hatched or the next day.

This seems more like standard swarming doesn’t it...

15 hours ago, yesbut said:

This guy is well worth watching.....very applicable to beeking.....

This is the  most worthwhile thing I have watched in a long time . Give it a go people . 👍

14 hours ago, kaihoka said:

This morning I woke with a bad headache and I took two panadol .

It fixed the headache but it also helped my arthritis that had developed in my knee because a broke it in an accident 10yrs ago .

I am now wondering how old you have to be before you can start taking pain pills every day .

I have always been wary of taking stuff because I thought that if I did I may have stuffed kidneys etc in  30 yrs .

But I am 63 and I am thinking  I may not be so worried about my kidneys in 30 yrs .

Just take so west coast green, that will get rid of the pain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@kaihoka I can't get through the day without my diclofenac. 

If I dont take it I can hardly move by lunch time. I also take panadol four hourly which helps but it's the diclofenac that does it for me 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@kaihoka I can't get through the day without my diclofenac. 

If I dont take it I can hardly move by lunch time. I also take panadol four hourly which helps but it's the diclofenac that does it for me 

oh well its off to the Doc for serious drugs then .

its only my knee where i broke it,

when i broke it i thought , i wonder how this will play out in the long term .

badly , very badly.

i looked at my hives today .

the last spring queens are making QC.

the weak hive i nursed through winter with the queen i was going to replace is full of brood and will need another box soon.

my autumn queen has not made cells , i finally saw her.   

next time i will mark her , i will try not to damage her as i do it.  my track record is not good.

A6CCB9DA-8515-48C2-B760-F8B10EBA3497.jpeg

Here ya go Girls ..... we is living on this stuff.

Spent 10 hrs on the bucking Deutz today and came home with a big smile and no pain !

As an aside ..... whose in for the 28 mil tonight. Nana got deputised to go buy a ticket , which she did , but forgot to take it out of the pocket of the trouse that went through the washing machine. 😂🍺

29 minutes ago, jamesc said:

A6CCB9DA-8515-48C2-B760-F8B10EBA3497.jpeg

Here ya go Girls ..... we is living on this stuff.

Spent 10 hrs on the bucking Deutz today and came home with a big smile and no pain !

As an aside ..... whose in for the 28 mil tonight. Nana got deputised to go buy a ticket , which she did , but forgot to take it out of the pocket of the trouse that went through the washing machine. 😂🍺

So if it was the winning ticket is it stuffed.

It looks a bit dodgy ...... life was never meant to be  easy eh .

• Sad 1