Trevor Gillbanks

October 2019 Apiary Diary

Just now, M4tt said:

No. This is normal unsettled spring weather with a westerly  to South westerly air flow.

I’ve ordered some Crimson Clover seed, enough to plant a crop of 0.4 ha as an experiment . I’ll plant at labour weekend and it should flower heavily in the summer . Apparently it’s a heavy nectar producer 

I have read that the shape is wrong for honey bees to get nectar from red clover .

Is it a different sort , does it have another name .

2 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I have read that the shape is wrong for honey bees to get nectar from red clover .

Is it a different sort , does it have another name .

Google   Crimson Clover. It’s not the same plant as Red Clover. Crimson is an annual not a perennial 

• Thanks 1

The weather here has been a little bit indifferent, certainly not the best spring I can remember but not even close to the worst. As long as the bees get a bit of fresh pollen every week I am happy and anything over that is just a bonus. Had 20 millimetres in a thunder storm yesterday and damned pleased to see it. Fortunately we missed out on the hail but a lot of other areas round here got pretty trashed.

1 hour ago, CraBee said:

Welcome to my world 😞

Its enough to make me want to move to the Mainland.

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 5.52.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 5.55.08 PM.png

Yeah nah

not even interested in starting to rsise cells yet

0F1F46A9-1AEB-4B2D-92F9-E50F9A0CDEE5.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

17/18 degrees !!!, thats bloody tropical .

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

Google   Crimson Clover. It’s not the same plant as Red Clover. Crimson is an annual not a perennial 

King seeds have it , sounds good , I shall try next autumn .

Edited by kaihoka

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CraBee said:

I think we are having a shocking Spring weather wise.  It has been cold and the wind has been steady and strong, hail yesterday.  How do you see it @Alastair ?

Yup rain, day in, day out, howling gale most of the time, get's a bit tiresome. Have tried to minimise sugar feeding this spring due to low honey price but some hives right on the breadline and weeks go by where they just can't collect anything for themselves. 

And oh, got bogged last week and spent around 4 hours to get out.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

King seeds have it 

That’s where it is coming from 😊

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 8:18 PM, kaihoka said:

17/18 degrees !!!, thats bloody tropical .

King seeds have it , sounds good , I shall try next autumn .

Popped into Kings yesterday as they are just down the road from me.

Picked up a packet of Crimson Clover for my wee garden. Might borrow the neighbours garden as well.

They mentioned 'Phacelia' as a great bee flower, but the best of all apparently, is the opium poppy!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Gwenyn Gwesty said:

Popped into Kings yesterday as they are just down the road from me.

Picked up a packet of Crimson Clover for my wee garden. Might borrow the neighbours garden as well.

They mentioned 'Phacelia' as a great bee flower, but the best of all apparently, is the opium poppy!

I have a garden full of opium poppies .

I brought some fancy poppy seeds from kings but over the yrs they  have reverted back to singles .

It is easy to save seeds and I throw the seed around all bare land lying idle .

It self seeds freely . The bees love the pollen .

I shall try red clover too now .

Phacellia is great and will self seed.  It is slower to establish than other crops like mustard so it is best to sow it first if you are sowing a mix on bare land .

I have a drone layer at home which I left so that I would have something to show the Hawke's Bay bee club today . I have been through it once already and seen no sign of the Queen. I put two frames of healthy brood including eggs in it a week ago to see if they would attempt to raise a cell which they didn't. No sign of the Queen again today and no eggs or unsealed brood except for one queen cell in amongst the drone brood with a reasonable amount of Royal jelly and a fresh egg.I probably should have left it to see what it developed into but I had some adult cells available so I just put one in their. Drone layers can be notoriously hard to find so maybe I just didn't see here or perhaps is one of those rare cases where they actually steal an egg from another hive. My father believes this can happen although I'm not so sure myself. I think the most likely cause of a hopelessly queenless hive suddenly getting a queen is a virgin Queen flying back into the wrong hive by mistake. At least the drone brood provided lots of manky brood with chalk brood and assorted dead larvae for everyone to compare with healthy brood.

• Like 5

On 2/10/2019 at 3:32 PM, kaihoka said:

We are probably having our worst spring in 3 yrs .

Which would be the case if you are having your best .

155mls this sep  , 47mls sep 2018 .

We are the same,very little clematis and I see the kowhai at the Porari River is not flowering again this year,have not checked the pohutukawa yet.An aquaintence at Fox River tells me the kamahi is flowering.I could not see it clod too low.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bighands said:

We are the same,very little clematis and I see the kowhai at the Porari River is not flowering again this year,have not checked the pohutukawa yet.An aquaintence at Fox River tells me the kamahi is flowering.I could not see it clod too low.

Spring down this way not all bad. Clematis flowering well this last week, bush looks good with white all through it. Bees been bringing in nectar from what looks like some species of five finger, has bigger smooth edged leaves but same type flower clusters. Quintinea is showing small buds so i think that will be next to flower here if the sun shines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, john berry said:

I have a drone layer at home which I left so that I would have something to show the Hawke's Bay bee club today . I have been through it once already and seen no sign of the Queen. I put two frames of healthy brood including eggs in it a week ago to see if they would attempt to raise a cell which they didn't. No sign of the Queen again today and no eggs or unsealed brood except for one queen cell in amongst the drone brood with a reasonable amount of Royal jelly and a fresh egg.I probably should have left it to see what it developed into but I had some adult cells available so I just put one in their. Drone layers can be notoriously hard to find so maybe I just didn't see here or perhaps is one of those rare cases where they actually steal an egg from another hive. My father believes this can happen although I'm not so sure myself. I think the most likely cause of a hopelessly queenless hive suddenly getting a queen is a virgin Queen flying back into the wrong hive by mistake. At least the drone brood provided lots of manky brood with chalk brood and assorted dead larvae for everyone to compare with healthy brood.

A guy who I worked with believed the same thing, I thought he was the only one

On 3/10/2019 at 8:44 PM, kaihoka said:

I have a garden full of opium poppies .

I brought some fancy poppy seeds from kings but over the yrs they  have reverted back to singles .

It is easy to save seeds and I throw the seed around all bare land lying idle .

It self seeds freely . The bees love the pollen .

I shall try red clover too now .

Phacellia is great and will self seed.  It is slower to establish than other crops like mustard so it is best to sow it first if you are sowing a mix on bare land .

You are also fan of poppy seed roll ( cake)? I can't resist.. 

6 hours ago, Goran said:

You are also fan of poppy seed roll ( cake)? I can't resist.. 

I shall google a recipe.

9 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

A guy who I worked with believed the same thing, I thought he was the only one

I believe bees might be able to move eggs. They certainly can through a Queen Excluder and hide a cell away from where the queen can get to .

You’d have to wonder though , even if they did pinch an egg from another hive , by the time the new queen was mated and ready to get going, the hive would be in a pretty bad shape , full of useless drones and hardly any worker bees of any use . 

I saw  something rather unusual that I haven’t seen before in a hive .

Two new laying  supercedure queens . 

I marked one , then there was another on the next frame .

Neither are their Red marked Mumma from March 2018.

While I was enjoying my bees, I thought stuff it , last seasons challenge of making no honey has grown old . I’m going to go for a modest crop , possibly get it packed and sell it to locals who keep asking me for some .

The bees have work to though . I have no drawn honey frames since I scraped everything down and cut them all to 3/4 size 

Should be fun 👍

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Well hallelujah .....  went out Beekeeping today .... but unlike  like Dennis , I had the bog role but forgot the matches as The Main Man has given up smoking and we had nothing with which to light the smoker   so had to don the rubber O/A gloves along with the RedBand gumboots ..... and it was HoT.

Cell raising season is here .

We is on a roll.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

Well hallelujah .....  went out Beekeeping today .... but unlike  like Dennis , I had the bog role but forgot the matches as The Main Man has given up smoking and we had nothing with which to light the smoker   so had to don the rubber O/A gloves along with the RedBand gumboots ..... and it was HoT.

Cell raising season is here .

We is on a roll.

I have use a hive tool and 12 v battery to light smoker when I forgot lighter but you need some semi burn sack to hold the sparks 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Chris Valentine said:

I have use a hive tool and 12 v battery to light smoker when I forgot lighter but you need some semi burn sack to hold the sparks 

Or the cigarette lighter in the vehicle to get some embers going.

Just pulled my 3rd graft out and 26cells, hives are starting to hang in a few sites, 

Not far off now. 

Found a good way to down size, pushing all brood from my doubles(losses) into one box and putting the remaining brood and stores into smart nucs to the Bush sites and replacing losses with hives from Bush sites

IMG_20191007_193221-1560x2080.jpg

IMG_20191007_153035-1040x780.jpg

• Like 4

Wow still in singles no wonder they are starting to hang!!

Nice work on the queen cells how will you be using them?

I see the latest Beekeeper magazine came out today with twice as much advertising material.  

I don't mind getting the magazine as it has some good information, but it does annoy me that a lot of trees have died just so I can throw it into the recycle bin unread.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

41 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I see the latest Beekeeper magazine came out today with twice as much advertising material.  

I don't mind getting the magazine as it has some good information, but it does annoy me that a lot of trees have died just so I can throw it into the recycle bin unread.

All part of Shane Jones’s master plan!!  Keeping the forestry industry booming.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ted said:

All part of Shane Jones’s master plan!!  Keeping the forestry industry booming.

None of that glossy paper would have been made here....all imported.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, yesbut said:

None of that glossy paper would have been made here....all imported.

Shane wouldn’t know that - don’t tell him or you might hurt his feelings!!

• Haha 2