Trevor Gillbanks

October 2019 Apiary Diary

Cell check on the polys.... white waxing with two lots of syrup

nice!

3939DFB6-8930-4018-B350-EA70A202B9F1.jpeg

11 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

How do you know if apitraz works better? 

The crane,remote on truck is great. Downside, doing Gates and not having a pair of hands strapping and extra eyes/brain for negotiation inside orchards. 

Truck doesn't get used enough really. Only 10k a year. Can drink a lot of fuel compared to Ute. And COFs...

I kinda enjoy moving bees ......

The culmination of spring on your knees .....

And the anticipation of ........

Sunset, sunrise ....

Life is a highway

You gotta drive it

All night long.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Cell check on the polys.... white waxing with two lots of syrup

nice!

3939DFB6-8930-4018-B350-EA70A202B9F1.jpeg

I kinda enjoy moving bees ......

The culmination of spring on your knees .....

And the anticipation of ........

Sunset, sunrise ....

Life is a highway

You gotta drive it

All night long.

You sing that song?

I don't mind also, it's like a freshen up. Bees get shuffled, doing a job and getting paid. Fresh paddock to return to. 

You planning on loading Stella for pollination up north? 

20 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I looked in my queenless hive and I saw two recently opened queencells so I have at least one virgin running around .

There is no chance she will mate here , esp in a a spring like we are having .

I will put a divison board between the boxes and a frame of brood in one to see which box she is in .

I could take her away to mate , but that is never as sucessful as a nuc with a cell.

So I may just leave her in the hive and replace her with a new queen .

Having to replace a drone laying queen is easier than dealing with a laying worker .

Patience madam. I thought the same thing down here on the Coast but no mated in 3 weeks which is the earliest I have ever had,normally 5 weeks.

• Agree 1

Still waiting for a new radiator ...... ho hum ho hum .... I think they gotta make it in Brazil, or Detroit ..... or Croatia.  Maybe Nelson !

1 minute ago, Bighands said:

Patience madam. I thought the same thing down here on the Coast but no mated in 3 weeks which is the earliest I have ever had,normally 5 weeks.

Quickest quickie I ever had was nine days .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bighands said:

When I look at a wind map I see you normally do not have any .

As opposed to us . And this spring has been particularly windy .

Also there are no other drones for a queen to mate with here until the migrants arrive.

The rata is not looking budded up yet . It may be late .

It was two yrs ago , 1st nov , that I posted a big rata yr . Then they were covered in buds .

1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

Also there are no other drones for a queen to mate with here until the migrants arrive.

It was two yrs ago , 1st nov , that I posted a big rata yr . Then they were covered in buds .

Prediction for this year ?

Your other hives should have drones in them for your needs ....?

2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Your other hives should have drones in them for your needs ....?

Isnt that incest. I thought queens only mated  with drones from outside the apiary.

Tomorrow I am going to go for a wander with the binoculars and have a look see .

The kamahi is all budded up well , as always .

Also a lot of the young manuka is flowering or covered in buds , which is early .

11 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Isnt that incest. I thought queens only mated  with drones from outside the apiary.

Tomorrow I am going to go for a wander with the binoculars and have a look see .

The kamahi is all budded up well , as always .

Also a lot of the young manuka is flowering or covered in buds , which is early .

Incest ..... it's the history of these sweet isles .

I think it's called 'Line breeding' ......   you get your unique family of champions. But there are others way more qualified than me to put us right.

Certainly within our own operation we are very much inhouse with the queens for grafting from. The drones will probably travel from further afield. But I guess that's blokes for you.

1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

You sing that song?

I don't mind also, it's like a freshen up. Bees get shuffled, doing a job and getting paid. Fresh paddock to return to. 

You planning on loading Stella for pollination up north? 

Been talking with people about pollinating Manuka ...... but they don't seem to want to pay!

Maybe Stella and me will just go to The Coast again ...... plug the tunes in and cruise to the sweet sound of The Dixie Chicks  on the boom box ,  while the backing band of  the turbo whistles  us  up the hills, and Jake the Brake grumbles down past Big Hands Whare in Otira.

Living the dream.

28 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I think it's called 'Line breeding' ......   you get your unique family of champions. But there are others way more qualified than me to put us right.

Certainly within our own operation we are very much inhouse with the queens for grafting from. The drones will probably travel from further afield. But I guess that's blokes for you.

Been talking with people about pollinating Manuka ...... but they don't seem to want to pay!

Maybe Stella and me will just go to The Coast again ...... plug the tunes in and cruise to the sweet sound of The Dixie Chicks  on the boom box ,  while the backing band of  the turbo whistles  us  up the hills, and Jake the Brake grumbles down past Big Hands Whare in Otira.

Living the dream.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Quickest quickie I ever had was nine days

most of my mini nucs took two and a half weeks to lay this round, but one had two frames of capped brood by then!

9 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

most of my mini nucs took two and a half weeks to lay this round, but one had two frames of capped brood by then!

I hear ya ..... it's been too cold ..... until the last couple of days.

10 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I will bet you have feral drones some w3here in the bush and do not forget drones fly up to 25km to mate and die doing so,so do not come back as a drone if you believe in reincarnation.

9 hours ago, jamesc said:

Living the dream.

You cannot get up Kellys any more,big rocks on the entrance on both sides of the creek.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 29/10/2019 at 6:54 AM, Gino de Graaf said:

How do you know if apitraz works better? 

The crane,remote on truck is great. Downside, doing Gates and not having a pair of hands strapping and extra eyes/brain for negotiation inside orchards. 

Truck doesn't get used enough really. Only 10k a year. Can drink a lot of fuel compared to Ute. And COFs...

I know because iv tried it and I never found any pms unlike apivar, but it does have a bit more of the active ingredient. 

A ute can only take a third of the load of hives as well, and when it comes to taking 1600 boxes to the extraction plant I'd much rather the big truck. 

• Like 1

Today I came across a 3 box hive that I saw 2 DWV Drones in

One of them had no wings and the others were shriveled.

I took a shake into a tin lid from 8 brood frames  and took 500 Bees from that to wash....

0/500

Then another hive that had a 68 count in April,  22 in May and 1 in June and is now back up to 12 .

This Hive was surrounded by zeros and ones.

The only reason I didn't kill it there and then was its part of a trial. 

Also, when washing for Mites, who counts shells as well whole Mites.

This becomes relevant when you have one shell in the jar 

One of the team at work was talking today about a drone experiment he did back home in Serbia, 100 drones marked different colours from ten hives at a site of 40, you can imagine the result. 

Not killing the higher count colony is a far more realistic  trial in my opinion to imitate real world.

22 minutes ago, Stoney said:

One of the team at work was talking today about a drone experiment he did back home in Serbia, 100 drones marked different colours from ten hives at a site of 40, you can imagine the result. 

Not killing the higher count colony is a far more realistic  trial in my opinion to imitate real world.

Im way behind so far.

I treated my first 18 Hives on Sept 20  then ducked out a week ago to do some more and counts but forgot my pail of staples so really only got started on the rest today.
The weather has been really wet and cold 

26 deg forecast for Sunday

Edited by Philbee

30A6FBCA-DE7C-4D06-94AC-10433B700443.jpeg

More recruits for the frontline .

I wonder when the  AFB agency will take off the blinkers and run free .....?

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

26 deg forecast for Sunday

I believe it when it happens .

8 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Night shift. 

Is this for  kiwi pollination ?

Are the roads really busy at night with bee trucks in the bay of plenty right now .

Yes, kiwis. Not many yet. Soon Green starts, ordinary kiwis. This orchard is one I like to do in morning. 

DSC_0242-1376x774.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Night shift. 

DSC_0239-4128x2322.JPG

Must be cool ..... no crawlers coming out to say G'day !

Is that a side light that swings out ?

Edited by jamesc