Trevor Gillbanks

October 2019 Apiary Diary

6 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Saturday is forecast for a fab day.  If they ain't mated then, the hive tool goes through the neck - regicide!

Wot the heck is regicide ..... aah .... is that Regina -cide ?

What you got them in ..... wooden nuc boxes ?

I think I mentioned yesterday .... we all know  queen mating is dependant on 20c plus days, but also a warm nuc core  temp  seems to be quite important ..... which is why I love those poly's.  

• Agree 1

My understanding is that regicide and reginacide are both the killing of a monarch.  But reginacide does sound more appropriate.

Some are in polys, some in quads, others five frame nucs.  It's Oct 2019 selective, like never before with isobars close to each other. 

3 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

My understanding is that regicide and reginacide are both the killing of a monarch.  But reginacide does sound more appropriate.

Some are in polys, some in quads, others five frame nucs.  It's Oct 2019 selective, like never before with isobars close to each other. 

Maggie it has been like that up here too, the worst Spring I can remember with the wind and cold, and making for tricky cell and queen raising.  We may be coming out of it through as the next ten days look much much better.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Hi Crabee - Go and buy a lotto ticket, cos here in Canterbury I don't think we will get that! 

Do people think the cold is caused by the polar streamers from the Antarctica warm air mass.?

I am really pleased I planted so much spring forage for my bees .

A load of bees were clusted in front of one hive , the sun was out warming the hive but the wind was to strong to fly .

We had horizontal rain this morning . Its been a few yrs since I have seen that here.

It looks like rubbish on the coast and I see the quintina budding up

Oh dear - We are not Aotearoa (Land of the Long White Cloud) but Land of the Long Black Cloud!

20 minutes ago, CraBee said:

Maggie it has been like that up here too, the worst Spring I can remember with the wind and cold, and making for tricky cell and queen raising.  We may be coming out of it through as the next ten days look much much better.

OK guys ..... I paid the money and got the weather. 

Next week comes right for a short window. First half of November is cold .

La Nina is rising which means cool and wet on the NE of the country ....... not good for manuka out east ..... southland might be warmer ...... and like Big hands says , the coast is always full of rubbish and anything goes. You just gotta be  brave  to go over there, or have a big truck to bring the rubbish home on.

So .... Jimmy C's pick is to carry on as usual , but don't extend the O/D and wait til yah got money in the Bank before spending it ...... and if the season craps itself ...... we should do alright , as there will be no prisoners with the packers.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 2

Last year it was all over by xmas this year we probably will not get any honey before xmas ,if we get any at all.

I hope to bank on the fine weather on Sat, but won't be counting my chickens (I mean queens) until then

I remember once, Snow on 5th Nov - Guy Fawkes and an all day power cut!

23 minutes ago, CraBee said:

well your in for a shock then. its been a mild spring. i would put it in the top 50%. it gets much much worse.

the big thing for this season so far is how dry its been. if it doesn't turn into a wet summer we will be in for a serious drought.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Bighands said:

Last year it was all over by xmas this year we probably will not get any honey before xmas ,if we get any at all.

Honey after Christmas will suit us just fine !

7 minutes ago, tristan said:

well your in for a shock then. its been a mild spring. i would put it in the top 50%. it gets much much worse.

the big thing for this season so far is how dry its been. if it doesn't turn into a wet summer we will be in for a serious drought.

I think that while we're neighbours sometimes the weather is quite different.  Last Dec for example we in Auckland we had 208mm of rain whereas nothing like that to the South and to the North.  

8 minutes ago, tristan said:

Where the heck is Maungaturoto anyway ?

5 minutes ago, jamesc said:

About 12km northeast of Whakapirau

It never ceases to amaze me what the difference in 15-30 minutes distance can make in terms of productive beekeeping

3 minutes ago, CraBee said:

I think that while we're neighbours sometimes the weather is quite different.  Last Dec for example we in Auckland we had 208mm of rain whereas nothing like that to the South and to the North.  

its been patchy. big heavy falls in small areas. drive 10 minutes to another site and there is no rain at all. probably why its so dry we are not getting those big storms that covers large areas. its been intense storms but only in limited locations.

2 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Whakapirau

Where the heck is whakapirau anyway?!

Just now, Maggie James said:

It never ceases to amaze me what the difference in 15-30 minutes distance can make in terms of productive beekeeping

500m can be the difference. sometimes its just the site. which direction does the wind hit it, how much sun etc.

the big thing is learning your sites and be prepared to things to be different. 

my early sites, which i've been doing for 15+ years which are always early, are way behind this year.

• Agree 1

Just now, Maggie James said:

Where the heck is whakapirau anyway?!

It never ceases to amaze me how anyone survives without NZMS Topo50 on their pc !!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jamesc said:

google it.

roughly halfway between auckland and whangerai.

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

It never ceases to amaze me how anyone survives without NZMS Topo50 on their pc !!

Flamin heck!  Well we know that many of us in the Mainland know that we live in the boondocks, but at least we are conversant with longitude/latitudinal readings!  Get with it pink pussy!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Flamin heck!  Well we know that many of us in the Mainland know that we live in the boondocks, but at least we are conversant with longitude/latitudinal readings!  Get with it pink pussy!

He is probably like me back in the dark ages

With regard James point about swarming, yes Im up against it and should be splitting splitting splitting only there is no way I could good matings although back on the 20 sept I through a frame of eggs in a drone layer and yesterday that hive had 2 frames of uncapped brood so as often happens the Virgins surprise us.

What is really a concern to me, not so much for me personally but more for others is that even although I didn't take any honey off last season, some of my Hives have very little to spare so as I go through them I imagine how much sugar would have been required to both get them through winter and Spring.

• Agree 3

13 minutes ago, yesbut said:

About 12km northeast of Whakapirau

Never 'eard of it ..... an I thought I had been everywhere.

• Haha 1