Trevor Gillbanks

October 2019 Apiary Diary

The first month of spring has already passed and we now move into flying month.

I have already caught my first swarm of the season (29 Sept) and today is another very fine day so maybe I will get another call or two.

Best wishes for the swarm season.

20190929_145716.jpg

• Like 2

Our weather here seems like the worst I can remember
Even Although my Hives are going well it's difficult to even get outside let alone open them up.
A comment was made a few months ago about what I would be doing to deal with all last seasons Honey still on the Hives and I may have made the comment, Hope for a rubbish Spring.
Well hear it is.
Another Beek told me yesterday that Msugar was out of Sugar and also that a Beekeeping ute or truck had crashed in the BOP somewhere.

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Our weather here seems like the worst I can remember
Even Although my Hives are going well it's difficult to even get outside let alone open them up.
A comment was made a few months ago about what I would be doing to deal with all last seasons Honey still on the Hives and I may have made the comment, Hope for a rubbish Spring.
Well hear it is.
Another Beek told me yesterday that Msugar was out of Sugar and also that a Beekeeping ute or truck had crashed in the BOP somewhere.

The higher power seems determined that we achieve average rainfall.

Since we were only at quarter of that 2 months ago thats a lot too make up , but they are giving it a big push .

The sky was full of stars last night , but cloud this morning .

The coming week seems full of clear skies and cloudy  rainy days , with wind .

Conversely , our weather is relatively good compared to ‘normal ‘ , Sure we’ve had a lot of wet days just lately , but it’s mostly quick showers that pass and the sun pokes through again , and  the bees get out. I’ve got enough  dandelion nectar coming in to see them expanding nicely . I haven’t seen any varroa for about 12 months now . 

We have had no flooding that’s worth noting this winter spring period, and the wind is mostly blowing from the west , which is about perfect .

The cattle have made next to no mud and the grass is exceptional ....

Its hard to see what’s wrong with that 

• Like 6

We got snow again last night.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, jamesc said:

We got snow again last night.

We also got a dusting of snow. 3ks as the crow flys from the hives, but they happy as when sun shinning today bringing in pollen and nectar. Lots of brood and Apitraz seems to have worked goin by dead mites in trays and bases. All lookin good.🙂

• Like 1

I caught my first swarm of the season yesterday. It was from one of my hives and my fault it swarmed. 

I’d  taken the queen out in a split and didn’t go back to the original hive to cull excess queen cells. 

Man, they were huge cells 😊 shame I didn’t use some of the  frames with cells for splits. 

I did my first graft of the season yesterday too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The weather round here has been classic spring with snow on the lawn to extremely warm and mild changeable by the hour, nectar sources in abundance for the girls between heavy rain showers.. 

I’m doubling my own numbers this spring so splitting is my sole focus...

lids off a site this morning, queens found and sitting on frames outside the box.. trailer set up with floors and boxes etc to be filled with brood and a fresh caged Q when the Southerly hit with force.. blowing mats frames and lids out into the paddock filled with Hereford cows and their calves.. aah ya gotta love it... 

i was left caught between saving gear from heavy hooves, closing up what I had opened and stopping more gear from flying off the ute. 

The forecast was there.. as was the looming dark front but ya gotta keep on pushin if ya wanna get anywhere I spose. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Endless wind and cloud here.

Pleased I have garden full of flowering brassicas and phacelia,  the bees have a close source of nectar in a sheltered spot they can access in breaks in the weather .

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stoney said:

The weather round here has been classic spring with snow on the lawn to extremely warm and mild changeable by the hour, nectar sources in abundance for the girls between heavy rain showers.. 

I’m doubling my own numbers this spring so splitting is my sole focus...

lids off a site this morning, queens found and sitting on frames outside the box.. trailer set up with floors and boxes etc to be filled with brood and a fresh caged Q when the Southerly hit with force.. blowing mats frames and lids out into the paddock filled with Hereford cows and their calves.. aah ya gotta love it... 

i was left caught between saving gear from heavy hooves, closing up what I had opened and stopping more gear from flying off the ute. 

The forecast was there.. as was the looming dark front but ya gotta keep on pushin if ya wanna get anywhere I spose. 

We need a ‘######’ icon 

• Agree 1

The office is shut today.

27F718BF-0C2E-4078-8C1A-ACA85AE9C90A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

The office is shut today.

27F718BF-0C2E-4078-8C1A-ACA85AE9C90A.jpeg

Good idea mate.. stoke the fire and consult the “doctor” 

• Agree 1

How are yer willows looking Stoney ?

6 minutes ago, jamesc said:

How are yer willows looking Stoney ?

Crack willow flower is only just opening around my sites, pussy been flowering a while but is few and far between. 

Theyve been drawing wax. 

The weather here isn’t too bad, but we had rain yesterday afternoon and overnight, meant to rain again this afternoon.

Probably the best spring so far in about 3 years here, touchwood. Still cold though, but not snowing 🥶 yikes!

Got out and checked a few hives which will be going into kiwis at the end of the month, looking good and will be quite a bit of manipulation between now and then to remove all the honey they didn’t eat over the winter 😅

Curb crawled past some Watson hives that popped up on my run a while back, most of them still singles, didn’t see very many bees flying, don’t look to be in very good shape.

Did first round of cells on Monday and dying to check them and see how many took, but am home with Riley today, been out to feed the ducks at the park while the sun is out

CA59E12E-338A-48D7-8647-A2C4DB0281C5.jpeg

• Like 2

Slyscape for Goran

45AD5D25-4DE9-4BB3-A21F-37F18D735168.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daley said:

Probably the best spring so far in about 3 years here, touchwood. Still cold though, but not snowing 🥶 yikes!

We are probably having our worst spring in 3 yrs .

Which would be the case if you are having your best .

155mls this sep  , 47mls sep 2018 .

• Sad 1

Brilliant spring up until the last week or so here in the garden city. Got my first cells coming ripe on Friday, so luckily it is the pick of the week for setting up mating nucs. 

Big dump of large hail stones a few hours ago. Couldn’t hear my music in the shed!

I think we are having a shocking Spring weather wise.  It has been cold and the wind has been steady and strong, hail yesterday.  How do you see it @Alastair ?

Further to my rosey view a few posts back , the weather today is vile . Thing is though , our weather is not usually as rough as the rest of the country . I’ve had no lids blown off yet , and there is still sun between the hail . Certainly not beekeeping weather . More like a clean out the spoutings type of day 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

Big dump of large hail stones a few hours ago. Couldn’t hear my music in the shed!

21 minutes ago, CraBee said:

I think we are having a shocking Spring weather wise.  It has been cold and the wind has been steady and strong, hail yesterday.

4 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Further to my rosey view a few posts back , the weather today is vile .

You can all relax and retrieve your sunhats now that my bike is tucked back in the shed ! And judging by the sheer acreage of "scrub" I've noticed here and there, there shouldn't be many Taranaki beeks grizzling about lack of opportunity.

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, CraBee said:

I think we are having a shocking Spring weather wise.  It has been cold and the wind has been steady and strong, hail yesterday.  How do you see it @Alastair ?

normal. 

actually its been one of the better willow flows.

Posted (edited)

Welcome to my world 😞

Its enough to make me want to move to the Mainland.

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 5.52.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 5.55.08 PM.png

Edited by CraBee

Do you think its these streamers from the Antarctica that we were warned about , caused by the polar warm stratosphere event .

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Do you think its these streamers from the Antarctica that we were warned about , caused by the polar warm stratosphere event .

No. This is normal unsettled spring weather with a westerly  to South westerly air flow.

I’ve ordered some Crimson Clover seed, enough to plant a crop of 0.4 ha as an experiment . I’ll plant at labour weekend and it should flower heavily in the summer . Apparently it’s a heavy nectar producer 

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 5