Swarm Season 2019/20

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, it has started again.   From reading Facebook etc, their have been quite a few swarms in the Auckland region.   Yesterday, I caught the largest swarm that I have ever caught.  6.5

I don't have any scientific data. However, for my own piece of mind I always put swarms onto undrawn frames. I then always carry those colonies thru 2 full brood cycles (about 2 month from f

One for the day. Good Size Swarm. Filled a 10 frame box easily. Will add another box tomorrow.

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Swarming in Hamilton area is in full swing. Almost half of my hives were trying to swarm and all had plenty of room and lots of bees. Have cut out all the cells and keeping an eye on them.  Have been catching a few swarms also and some I had to let go of due to other commitments at the time. Definitely more swarming this year than the previous years.  

• Agree 1

Had a bad patch with swarming two weeks ago but with more settled weather and a bit of fresh nectar they seem to have mostly settled down. Just to raising cells today and they were both queens that were below par and they look like they were sort of half swarming and half superseding. One today was actively pulling down cells which is a good sign.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Last evening I was surprised to get a text to say there's a swarm in a tree in a reserve/playground. It was a few minutes drive away so went for a look. It was a small swarm, about 3-4 frames worth. Being a small swarm I didn't bother putting on the beesuit. I shook them into a container and gave it to a hobby beek.

What I didn't expect was an audience, including children. I gave them a bit of a talk about bees and swarms etc, so that was good. I guess because I wasn't wearing a suit that gave them the confidence to walk up close to the container for a close look at the bees - I managed to find and show them the queen.

And yes, a bit late in the season for swarms. Or too early?

Unfortunately the photos I took exceed the 2MB limit, I'll have to work out how to reduce them.

2 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

Could be an absconding colony due to high varroa loads. Vape them with OA now, or put in a treatment. 

agreed, but around here there have been some unusually late swarms and whether they are absconding or not I don't know but odd reports of this from all over NZ. quite strange.

11 hours ago, John T said:

Last evening I was surprised to get a text to say there's a swarm in a tree in a reserve/playground. It was a few minutes drive away so went for a look. It was a small swarm, about 3-4 frames worth. Being a small swarm I didn't bother putting on the beesuit. I shook them into a container and gave it to a hobby beek.

What I didn't expect was an audience, including children. I gave them a bit of a talk about bees and swarms etc, so that was good. I guess because I wasn't wearing a suit that gave them the confidence to walk up close to the container for a close look at the bees - I managed to find and show them the queen.

And yes, a bit late in the season for swarms. Or too early?

Unfortunately the photos I took exceed the 2MB limit, I'll have to work out how to reduce them.

Screen shot the photo on yer phone .... shrink it a  little ... your in .

• Grant unpinned this topic