Trevor Gillbanks

Swarm Season 2019/20

Love the fact it’s raining and need an umbrella, but swarm can wait for photo

• Haha 1

Swarming in Hamilton area is in full swing. Almost half of my hives were trying to swarm and all had plenty of room and lots of bees. Have cut out all the cells and keeping an eye on them.  Have been catching a few swarms also and some I had to let go of due to other commitments at the time. Definitely more swarming this year than the previous years.  

• Agree 1

Had a bad patch with swarming two weeks ago but with more settled weather and a bit of fresh nectar they seem to have mostly settled down. Just to raising cells today and they were both queens that were below par and they look like they were sort of half swarming and half superseding. One today was actively pulling down cells which is a good sign.

• Like 1

Ahhhh! Don’t talk to me about swarming!! Seems to be way more than usual. Got two call outs in the weekend and then mine started 😬😬😬

• Haha 1

I've had way way less than usual up here.

I’ve had nothing as usual 😉.

Oddly though , no one has phoned me about any to collect either , which is a good thing 

A couple of times Ive put 2 swarms in the same box and its fascinating how they each go straight back to the same branch that they came from as if nothing had happened.

Edited by Philbee

11 hours ago, CraBee said:

I've had way way less than usual up here.

I think swarming reflects the weather and for us exposed to the west its been windy and colder.

But the east coast will be doing just great .

It was 32 degrees here yesterday! I didn’t really care!

• Like 1

Another nice swarm today.

1.5 kg , so a nice NUC size.

1.5 m on sidewalk.  Nice and easy.

20191123_143655.jpg

• Like 3

Geez Trev ! "Sidewalk " !!! Wotarya ! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Geez Trev ! "Sidewalk " !!! Wotarya ! 

I will leave the hard ones for you.

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I will leave the hard ones for you.

I don't mind you reaching them from the footpath at all !

• Like 1

Last evening I was surprised to get a text to say there's a swarm in a tree in a reserve/playground. It was a few minutes drive away so went for a look. It was a small swarm, about 3-4 frames worth. Being a small swarm I didn't bother putting on the beesuit. I shook them into a container and gave it to a hobby beek.

What I didn't expect was an audience, including children. I gave them a bit of a talk about bees and swarms etc, so that was good. I guess because I wasn't wearing a suit that gave them the confidence to walk up close to the container for a close look at the bees - I managed to find and show them the queen.

And yes, a bit late in the season for swarms. Or too early?

Unfortunately the photos I took exceed the 2MB limit, I'll have to work out how to reduce them.

2 minutes ago, John T said:

Unfortunately the photos I took exceed the 2MB limit, I'll have to work out how to reduce them.

If you have windows, right click & select "resize" .......

3 hours ago, John T said:

Could be an absconding colony due to high varroa loads. Vape them with OA now, or put in a treatment. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

Could be an absconding colony due to high varroa loads. Vape them with OA now, or put in a treatment. 

agreed, but around here there have been some unusually late swarms and whether they are absconding or not I don't know but odd reports of this from all over NZ. quite strange.

Thanks Yesbut, it worked. Here's a couple of pics.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks @CHCHPaul and @ChrisM, have advised the new owner.

I have heard about swarms occuring during January just past, and I was surprised to see swarm cells in my hives as well. I think perhaps summer arrived late. 

11 hours ago, John T said:

Last evening I was surprised to get a text to say there's a swarm in a tree in a reserve/playground. It was a few minutes drive away so went for a look. It was a small swarm, about 3-4 frames worth. Being a small swarm I didn't bother putting on the beesuit. I shook them into a container and gave it to a hobby beek.

What I didn't expect was an audience, including children. I gave them a bit of a talk about bees and swarms etc, so that was good. I guess because I wasn't wearing a suit that gave them the confidence to walk up close to the container for a close look at the bees - I managed to find and show them the queen.

Screen shot the photo on yer phone .... shrink it a  little ... your in .