john berry

Oversupply of propolis

18 hours ago, Daley said:

I and many other beekeepers would be happy to sell propolis to them if they will match their competition

Hmm, they probably feel the same way i.e. they would buy your NZ propolis if you matched your competition. Pot/Kettle?

The owner of a major NZ natural products company told me their Propolis is a blend of NZ and foreign [Chinese] propolis.

The NZ component was what came from the hive in his garden!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

I got told by my buyer that there's an oversupply and they won't be purchasing for a while

I'm not greedy, worked it out 3$ per hive last season at 600 propolis matts that's 60$ from 20 hives which isn't a lot to put them on, take them off, store them and sort them to be sent away, harvest dec 

Hmmm ..... interesting..... that's about what we made per mat !

Over the winter I scrapped all my honey supers and the frames and I have some propolis in 6 ice cream containers.

I better start chewing it if it can not be sold.

What is next? Royal jelly?

2 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

What is next? Royal jelly?

There is no way kiwis can match their productivity, volume or costs. 

Have seen several try to make RJ here, and costs were many, many times higher priced than imported product, and volumes tiny.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Rob's BP said:

There is no way kiwis can match their productivity, volume or costs. 

Have seen several try to make RJ here, and costs were many, many times higher priced than imported product, and volumes tiny.

Heard some cheap imports of royal jelly over here turned to be mashed drone larvae 🤬

One year at our country was done testing of propolis tincture sold in the pharmacies - 70% didn't match standard (aka snake oil).. That also say how much I trust the labels written.. 🤑

• Sad 1

Here’s another one for you all

Chinese owned  Blue River Dairy in Invercargill has a processing plant including  a milk drier and was processing sheep milk from NZs largest sheep milk flock, owned privately by Antara Ag.

2018/19 season saw Antara Ag unable to renew their milk supply contract with Blue River Dairy, as the Chinese owners opted to import Sheep milk from Italy and process it into infant formula , labeled ‘Manufactured in New Zealand ‘

Info gleaned from 2019 edition of Country Wide Sheep

• Good Info 2
  • Sad 4

28 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Here’s another one for you all

Chinese owned  Blue River Dairy in Invercargill has a processing plant including  a milk drier and was processing sheep milk from NZs largest sheep milk flock, owned privately by Antara Ag.

2018/19 season saw Antara Ag unable to renew their milk supply contract with Blue River Dairy, as the Chinese owners opted to import Sheep milk from Italy and process it into infant formula , labeled ‘Manufactured in New Zealand ‘

Info gleaned from 2019 edition of Country Wide Sheep

that sounds pretty bizarre. I guess it implies that they must be bringing in a big volume to make it economic and so maybe the other side of the story is that NZ doesn't yet produce enough sheep's milk to meet demand; a possible chicken and egg scenario with relatively high production costs. In terms of unprocessed milk, I guess it means bringing it in frozen in shipping containers? Given that we export more frozen meat than we import, maybe there are some cheap opportunities to provide a back load for empty refrigeration containers coming back to NZL. It sure would be nice to get the range of cheeses routinely available in europe, but I gather we are so bound up in our own boulder-dash that it is far too risky to produce food people want to buy (?).

I don’t know how the milk from Italy gets here , but I’m guessing as powder , which is why they aren’t running their drier . 

I know the Chinese owned Dairy  Factory at Pokeno didn’t bother processing milk . I’m not sure if it’s running now or not , but they were repacking powder into baby formula as well .

• Thanks 1