john berry

Oversupply of propolis

14 hours ago, Daley said:

It’s because their future is looking pretty bleak

yes that may well be true, but then there is all the more reason to be investing in something that makes a better return and has a better future. I think all this change we are facing provides as many new opportunities as it does close doors in other areas, the strong and smart will survive. The pendulum may have swung too far in terms of intensive agriculture and mono-cropping, but I think the future of Tatua remains bright because they have proven the ability to innovate and think.

10 hours ago, Philbee said:

Can you just clarify this
China imports Honey that must be of a high standard and you are suggesting that their export standard must be similar?
Have I read  your post correctly?

I said "we can reasonably expect they'd be similarly stringent with Propolis" not that their honey and propolis import standards are similar.

3 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

If the buyers of propolis knew it was imported from elsewhere, would they still buy? 

Buyers should know it's imported from elsewhere, it's clearly stated on pack. Refer to the first line in the image below. 

propolis.jpg

• Thanks 1

Not that long ago the big C would not buy honey from people who did pollination because of fears of contamination in the orchards and now they want to do pollination themselves. As for importing propolis and Royal jelly I never said it was illegal but I still think it's a really bad idea and a high bio security risk. I have credible witnesses who say that they have in the past seen raw imported propolis left outside where bees had access to it.As for made from imported and local ingredients how about a bit more information like is it 99% imported or 99% local.

There is nothing I can do about the illegal importation of propolis and Royal jelly except to make it public . Given enough publicity importers might rethink their priorities. When you see products sold with pictures of New Zealand all over them it certainly is designed to give the impression that it came from here.

There is currently an oversupply of propolis in New Zealand to a large extent caused by everybody and their dog scraping  propolis to try and make a little bit of extra money. If you  do have propolis that no one wants at the moment then I strongly suggest you keep it frozen until such time as it becomes saleable again. Natural propolis from the hive always has a high wax content and wax moth will turn a sack of high-value product into a load of frass in no time flat.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Heard today about a local man who has a manufacturing business  using propolis who is really concerned about imports of cheap propolis  affecting the economics of his business .

20 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Heard today about a local man who has a manufacturing business  using propolis who is really concerned about imports of cheap propolis  affecting the economics of his business .

Worried in what sense?  Downward pressure on finished product pricing??  Local market or export??  Assuming you are talking about Comvita importing propolis I would be very surprised if they had reduced their sell price because of cheaper raw product.  Far more likely they would leave their sell price the same thereby increasing their margins.

The fact we don't use antibiotics in New Zealand means that our bee products are different from virtually everywhere else in the world. Sales of health products like it or not are largely based on perception. I'm not sure that overseas tourists who buy expensive high-end products in New Zealand would be very happy to find out that what they are buying came from their own country.

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, john berry said:

The fact we don't use antibiotics in New Zealand means that our bee products are different from virtually everywhere else in the world. Sales of health products like it or not are largely based on perception. I'm not sure that overseas tourists who buy expensive high-end products in New Zealand would be very happy to find out that what they are buying came from their own country.

Lol
Very funny John.
Whenever I see the words "Made from local and imported ingredients" I throw it in the rubbish

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Is'nt there something about the laws of supply and demand.

I see in the Herald the other day The True Honey Co selling  limited edition UMF 31 honey for $2000 a pot.

I have  one drum of  MGO 45 ...... that must make it a priceless limited edition ..... 

I guess it all just comes down to the wording.

Edited by jamesc

1 minute ago, Philbee said:

Lol
Very funny John.
Whenever I see the words "Made from local and imported ingredients" I throw it in the rubbish

You must have a very large rubbish bin!!  Hope your recycling!!😉

Just now, Ted said:

You must have a very large rubbish bin!!  Hope your recycling!!😉

Lol
Yes, its caused some friction in the beginning but has tapered off.
Bacon and Ham were the first big ticket items to go south.
Things like nuts I let slide because nuts are nuts but anything processed is gone.

I never buy anything described as eatable from the Warehouse 
Cadbury Chocolate was an early disappointment

On that note, its amazing how easily Whitakers undid that iconic NZ brand, or maybe they undid themselves.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, john berry said:

You mean in beekeeping? If so, it is banned also here and I believe in majority of European countries. There were some uses of antibiotics in fruit orchards, don't know is still actual. Then might theoretically get transferred into honey in a fruit flow, but I think highly unlikely and even if it did, it should be on so low margin..

Edited by Goran
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Goran said:

You mean in beekeeping? If so, it is banned also here and I believe in majority of European countries. There were some uses of antibiotics in fruit orchards, don't know is still actual. Then might theoretically get transferred into honey in a fruit flow, but I think highly unlikely and even if it did, it should be on so low margin..

Yes in beekeeping antibiotics are illegal .

Of course we still have antibiotics for people and animals 

12 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Yes in beekeeping antibiotics are illegal .

Of course we still have antibiotics for people and animals 

when mention antibiotics and humans.. some trivia..

At one lecture is mentioned that in research is found that using propolis ( tincure) when using antibiotics it enhance positive effect of antibiotics ( it is recommended few hours after taking antibiotics to take propolis). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ted said:

Worried in what sense?  Downward pressure on finished product pricing??  Local market or export??  Assuming you are talking about Comvita importing propolis I would be very surprised if they had reduced their sell price because of cheaper raw product.  Far more likely they would leave their sell price the same thereby increasing their margins.

I was told this info by someone who talked to the businessman.

I am under the impression from previous infomation that he buys propolis and makes a product .

All I heard was that he could no longer hire a young relative because he was concerned about the future of his business because a lot of cheap.overseas propolis was being imported.

Are comvita making a product with the imported propolis that they can sell cheaply on the local.market .?

55 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Are comvita making a product with the imported propolis that they can sell cheaply on the local.market .?

One thing you can be sure of is that Comvita won’t be selling anything cheaply either locally or overseas.  Anything they do will be right at the top end of the price range.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, jamesc said:

Is'nt there something about the laws of supply and demand.

I see in the Herald the other day The True Honey Co selling  limited edition UMF 31 honey for $2000 a pot.

I have  one drum of  MGO 45 ...... that must make it a priceless limited edition ..... 

I guess it all just comes down to the wording.

Is there no end to some people’s greed? 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Adam O'Sullivan said:

Unfortunately this applies to a lot of people

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Adam O'Sullivan said:

17 minutes ago, Daley said:

Unfortunately this applies to a lot of people

Anyone willing & able to throw that sort of money around doesn't need our sympathy. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Anyone willing & able to throw that sort of money around doesn't need our sympathy. 

Exactly, made round to go round.

6 minutes ago, Ted said:

Exactly, made round to go round.

And who can argue that it doesn't showcase "Manuka" and "NZ" for the ultimate benefit of all beeks ?

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, yesbut said:

And who can argue that it doesn't showcase "Manuka" and "NZ" for the ultimate benefit of all beeks ?

I have to agree.

we seem to be in a race to the bottom at the moment with many companies under cutting each other to get their product sold whether it’s honey, queens or pollination.

Good luck with that in the long term.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I have to agree.

we seem to be in a race to the bottom at the moment with many companies under cutting each other to get their product sold whether it’s honey, queens or pollination.

Good luck with that in the long term.

Try not to take too much away from what other people are doing or saying.

I don’t.

I certainly don’t divulge the details of my business in a public forum and I doubt many others do either.

Despite the doom and gloom that seems to be about here we all are still doing it for another season so it can’t be that bad.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Daley said:

Despite the doom and gloom that seems to be about here we all are still doing it for another season so it can’t be that bad.

There's always little appeal in leaving what you're trained for, good at, & enjoy, and throwing yourself at the mercy of some faceless pay clerk somewhere. 

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, Adam O'Sullivan said:

I’ve been thinking about this “greed” word which has been thrown around a lot lately. 

If I produce a rare product that is in high demand and sell it to the highest bidder at an auction does that make me greedy?  If I take that same product and offer it on the open market for a set price and someone is prepared to pay that price does that make me greedy?  I hear people saying “I’m not selling my honey or propolis for $xxx as it’s worth more than that.  In my view a product is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it whether that be $2000 or $2.  

• Agree 2