ctm

Document Foundation: diy made from own wax

Last year I made my own foundation from 3 yrs old wax. I noticed bees not particularly liked the frames. The left them totally empty. This year I placed them in earlier and in the brood boxes. To my surprise they did starting to draw comb, but perpendicular to the wax sheet. Does somebody makes his own wax sheets and know why the bees behave this way?  Sheet thickness = 0.8-1.1mm. I also use this wax to wax my plastic frames, which works fine. Wax was heated, wax boarded and rolled. Thanks.

bees.JPG

I make my own foundation as well but mine is 4.9 mm cells and I roll it through a mill.I have no problem with them drawing the wax providing there is a decent flow on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ctm said:

Last year I made my own foundation from 3 yrs old wax. I noticed bees not particularly liked the frames. The left them totally empty. This year I placed them in earlier and in the brood boxes. To my surprise they did starting to draw comb, but perpendicular to the wax sheet. Does somebody makes his own wax sheets and know why the bees behave this way?  Sheet thickness = 0.8-1.1mm. I also use this wax to wax my plastic frames, which works fine. Wax was heated, wax boarded and rolled. Thanks.

bees.JPG

you have no cells on the foundation so they treat it as a wall.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Good Info 1

On 29/09/2019 at 2:27 PM, tristan said:

you have no cells on the foundation so they treat it as a wall.

I agree although I have seen you tube clips where this is used successfully in this manner,also there are many clips on making silicon molds off plastic foundation so as to print cells in the foundation 

I have no experience yet, but thought  give it a try. Did you perhaps heat the wax up way above the melting temperature? It looses its yellow colour that way and bees may not recognise it anymore as 'their' wax. Your foundation layer looks a bit pale. Might be just the picture...

If the foundation does not have worker cell patten on it, then they could easily make drone cells. If going down that route, then why not simply have starter strips from a tongue depressers or a triangle and let them build the whole lot foundationless (?).  They go quite well this time of year if you put them between two fully drawn combs containing brood.

Making quality foundation is an art as well is a science. I have seen it done and I'm sure I could make my own if I had to but it would be half as good for twice the price. I am not a fan of foundationless but it would certainly be better than using a slab of flat wax. Some of the really old bee books will tell you how to make your own foundation and it may be possible to get a set of embossed rollers as there are a few floating round but it will not be as good as the  modern equivalent which is much more even in thickness and has raised cell walls.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 10/10/2019 at 7:58 PM, john berry said:

Making quality foundation is an art as well is a science. I have seen it done and I'm sure I could make my own if I had to but it would be half as good for twice the price. I am not a fan of foundationless but it would certainly be better than using a slab of flat wax. Some of the really old bee books will tell you how to make your own foundation and it may be possible to get a set of embossed rollers as there are a few floating round but it will not be as good as the  modern equivalent which is much more even in thickness and has raised cell walls.

Chatting to a beekeeper in cairns this year at his shed, he had a machine to make his own foundation which he imported, it was used as a bench to store crap as it was so fiddly to make work it was cheaper to go buy it from shop..

• Haha 2