Beekeeping experience needed

Hello,

I am new to beekeeping and would like to get some hands on experience before I decide to purchase my own hives.

My holiday plan this year is to travel to NZ for a few weeks towards the end of this year. 

Can anybody suggest any place with lots of hives, preferably on south island, where they need volunteers or WWOOFERS?

Then I can make contact and line things up. 

Thanks in advance and Beehave (as opposed to Beehive :-)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try Greenvale Honey in Waikaka, Southland. I know a couple of years ago they took on someone with no beekeeping experience at all and he never thought he would go don that particular road of employment, but it turned it ( like the rest of us) he got hooked from the moment he started and absolutely loves it.

13 hours ago, BeeGirl said:

You could try Greenvale Honey in Waikaka, Southland. I know a couple of years ago they took on someone with no beekeeping experience at all and he never thought he would go don that particular road of employment, but it turned it ( like the rest of us) he got hooked from the moment he started and absolutely loves it.

Many thanks for your reply Beegirl. And to anyone else who replied. Is Greenvale the place near Gore? I did an internet search for them, looking for a website but I think they are only on Facebook. l'll try them anyway. Thanks

7 hours ago, Irishoney said:

Many thanks for your reply Beegirl. And to anyone else who replied. Is Greenvale the place near Gore? I did an internet search for them, looking for a website but I think they are only on Facebook. l'll try them anyway. Thanks

I believe so , yes 😊

On 25/09/2019 at 11:10 PM, Irishoney said:

Yes, it's about a 20 minute drive north east of Gore.