CraBee

Manuka name being protected

1 minute ago, jamesc said:

Okay ..... I tracked down  a fiddle player ..... she's mean..... if you lie fiddle players......

Lived in Galway, Ireland for a year, Does that count? The black nectar didn't do it for me but a half dozen locals strumming those strings sure did.

1 minute ago, Gwenyn Gwesty said:

Lived in Galway, Ireland for a year, Does that count? The black nectar didn't do it for me but a half dozen locals strumming those strings sure did.

Aye for sure Paddy ...... these Blessed Isles are the Emerald isles of the South Pacific. A homogenous mix of race and creed who have come together through battle and peace and are learning  to co exist. Legendary in the New World Order.  

Never to old to learn, and we live in hope. 

And one must say, this so called spring not withstanding, the green shoots of my pumpkin patch will sprout forth and produce a square pumpkin, I so command.

Hmmmm ..... look forward to meeting a square pumpkin!

Please get back on topic.  Take your wanderings to the appropriate thread please.

10 hours ago, jamesc said:

No doubt .... We all have 20/20 hindsight.

Now I 'aint begrudging the fact that the Gvt donated  quite a few million to trademarking one of our honeys ...... but as I sit in the glow of the firelight I ponder the ways of the politicians.

Manuka is the flavour  of the decade and  sells itself ... but the fact of the matter is there are thousands of tonnes of  'other'  high quality honeys languishing  in sheds and when we try to raise a couple hundy K to float a marketing company  .....nobody wants a bar of it.

I guess it's all about shine and priority. 

Meanwhile, out back beyond the black stump us other Bee keepers are trying to grow pumpkins to feed the family ..... only it's too freakin cold for the seed to germinate, or something .

Here it is too bloody wet.They are all rotting

0dd77c64494c462113a1270cda06b9fb.jpg.7a4779cf4755e6cd9e831c2c138a99cb.jpg

Edited by yesbut
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Bighands said:

But Manuka is a moari name not a pakeha name. What is the aboriginal name for mauka in australia?

If you ask the Tasmanian’s, manuka is an aboriginal word. 

On 12/10/2019 at 8:06 PM, Philbee said:

It doesnt hurt the tax payer to put a little into Bees which is what Maunuka has done.

After all, the general public gets Bees in their gardens for free.

they don't get free bees from me

On 12/10/2019 at 1:54 PM, nikki watts said:

If you ask the Tasmanian’s, manuka is an aboriginal word. 

I think it is 'Kalara' 

On 12/10/2019 at 1:15 AM, jamesc said:

No doubt .... We all have 20/20 hindsight.

Now I 'aint begrudging the fact that the Gvt donated  quite a few million to trademarking one of our honeys ...... but as I sit in the glow of the firelight I ponder the ways of the politicians.

Manuka is the flavour  of the decade and  sells itself ... but the fact of the matter is there are thousands of tonnes of  'other'  high quality honeys languishing  in sheds and when we try to raise a couple hundy K to float a marketing company  .....nobody wants a bar of it.

I guess it's all about shine and priority. 

Meanwhile, out back beyond the black stump us other Bee keepers are trying to grow pumpkins to feed the family ..... only it's too freakin cold for the seed to germinate, or something .

Manuka does not sell itself at the right price without strong marketing and a point of difference. The industry is plagued by mediocre product/brands, Australian junk product, product blended off shore to avoid MPI definition and counterfeit product. 

Many companies are working incredibly hard to re open markets for the Non Manuka honey. There is traction and success but the process is a long one. 

I am not saying that your marketing idea is not a good one but what were you intending to do with a couple of hundred K and how far would that get you and your project? There needs to be a plane with objectives and outcomes if people are to invest. 

9 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

I think it is 'Kalara' 

Manuka does not sell itself at the right price without strong marketing and a point of difference. The industry is plagued by mediocre product/brands, Australian junk product, product blended off shore to avoid MPI definition and counterfeit product. 

Many companies are working incredibly hard to re open markets for the Non Manuka honey. There is traction and success but the process is a long one. 

I am not saying that your marketing idea is not a good one but what were you intending to do with a couple of hundred K and how far would that get you and your project? There needs to be a plane with objectives and outcomes if people are to invest. 

Aah, there you are Adam.

You are right ..... a couple of hundy K will not go a long way in a marketing budget .... but I guess what it shows  is that those who walked away demonstrated in doing so that they had no understanding and no faith in what is the back bone  of the industry.

Which is a shame because they obviously had no grasp of the potential that is out there.

Manuka generates some high prices, but it is only a small percentage of the crop.

I had some Singaporeans here the other day.  They were looking to buy  honey . They were fixated on Manuka. It's all they knew.

To be honest ...... selling honey is easy. You just gotta have the time to do it.

I know we have a good product. The world knows we have a good product ..... what we at the end of the gully lack is the time to get out and walk the talk. W are just too darn busy doing the hard work.

Which is why we will be shortly looking for a marketing person.  Interested ...?

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

I had some Singaporeans here the other day.  They were looking to buy  honey . They were fixated on Manuka. It's all they knew.

a while ago you made a post telling the/a story of nz honey it sounded great to me - how did that story go with this market that turned up? nice to be able to test it in this small trial

7 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

a while ago you made a post telling the/a story of nz honey it sounded great to me - how did that story go with this market that turned up? nice to be able to test it in this small trial

The market went into revolution and were/are tooo busy throwing molatov cocktails  ....!  Food has become of secondary importance.

Edited by jamesc
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2019 at 9:52 PM, jamesc said:

Aah, there you are Adam.

You are right ..... a couple of hundy K will not go a long way in a marketing budget .... but I guess what it shows  is that those who walked away demonstrated in doing so that they had no understanding and no faith in what is the back bone  of the industry.

Which is a shame because they obviously had no grasp of the potential that is out there.

Manuka generates some high prices, but it is only a small percentage of the crop.

To be honest ...... selling honey is easy. You just gotta have the time to do it.

I know we have a good product. The world knows we have a good product ..... what we at the end of the gully lack is the time to get out and walk the talk. W are just too darn busy doing the hard work.

Which is why we will be shortly looking for a marketing person.  Interested ...?

HaHa.........I am flattered I would even be in the running James

• Haha 2

I have just watched ,"" Sunday " on the manuka honey name spat with australia .

As sympathetic as I am with the multi generation Tasmanian bee keepers it has occured to me that if NZ had not researched,  then promoted and created the market for manuka it would still be a rubbish honey in Tasmania.

And her "40 % of my business" would not exist.

For once , god forbid , I agree with shane Jones .

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Haha 1

I also watched the proram and was surprised to hear N

I will continue, i was surprised to hear that Ngai Tahu were not interested in protecting the Manuka name.

• Agree 3

29 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

As sympathetic as I am with the multi generation Tasmanian bee keepers it has occured to me that if NZ had not researched,  then promoted and created the market for manuka it would still be a rubbish honey in Tasmania.

We watched it too. We meet Nicola Charles a few years ago and she knew them NZ was gonna fight for the name so her tears were a bit of game playing I think. 

It was and Interesting slant on the journalism making the Tasmanian’s look like a wealthy family with horses and motorbikes etc and the kiwis look like humble small time family business. 

• Like 2

I was surprised to hear the woman from Tasmanian Blue Hills Honey was able to send their honey to a Lab in Hamilton for testing to see if it fit the MPI standard .

i would have thought it would have been destroyed and reported because it’s illegal to import honey into NZ .

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I was surprised to hear the woman from Tasmanian Blue Hills Honey was able to send their honey to a Lab in Hamilton for testing to see if it fit the MPI standard .

i would have thought it would have been destroyed and reported because it’s illegal to import honey into NZ .

No.  We have been thru this before.

Other countries can send honey to NZ labs for testing but they need a permit to do so and they have to send it directly and then the honey is specially quarantined then destroyed at the lab.  

Something like that anyway.

• Good Info 2

How many other beekeepers from outside NZ are sending honey to labs here and why are the labs thinking it’s ok to test it ?

1 minute ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

No.  We have been thru this before.

Other countries can send honey to NZ labs for testing but they need a permit to do so and they have to send it directly and then the honey is specially quarantined then destroyed at the lab.  

Something like that anyway.

ahh I didn’t know that thanks for the info Trev.

not sure I think it’s a good idea though knowing the trouble we have with the postal and courier system getting queens to where they need to be when they need to be there :( 

• Agree 1

How many other beekeepers from outside NZ are sending honey to labs here and why are the labs thinking it’s ok to test it ?

It would be interesting to hear from the labs of this is common practice. 

I can't remember all the details.  Our man from Analytica should be along and comment

@Jacob

57 minutes ago, Bighands said:

I also watched the proram and was surprised to hear N

I will continue, i was surprised to hear that Ngai Tahu were not interested in protecting the Manuka name.

do they have decent exposure in a company who has shares in an aussie company that is selling australian produced honey as manuka perhaps?\

didn't they already make one really bad investment in some north island honey venture due to a failure in due diligence vs a snake oil salesperson?

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

It was and Interesting slant on the journalism making the Tasmanian’s look like a wealthy family with horses and motorbikes etc and the kiwis look like humble small time family business. 

That pretty much sums up the economic and cultural difference between us and them .

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

It would still be rubbish honey here if not for the research of  one man, a Welsh migrant, Dr. Peter Molan. We have had SO much as an industry to thank him for.  I remember a Conference many moons ago, when the conference was asked to approve  what I remember to be a 25 cent per hive levy to help fund Peter's research, there was not a lot of support for the levy, and very strong, vocal argument against it.   

As for the program tonight, I don't think we made a strong case. Remember, Leptospermum scoparium is probably an Aussie immigrant from Tasmania, its' nectar is collected to produce Manuka Honey by European Honey Bees which were first introduced into NZ from Australia.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1