CraBee

Manuka name being protected

"Manuka" name being protected from the scoundrels from the big burn way out West.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/116033802/new-zealand-hopes-to-beat-australia-in-mnuka-honey-battle

If I have read that correctly the Aus manuka industry is worth $1.2b while our manuka industry is worth only $300m ish?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if this goes through does it mean I will have to pay for the right to have Manuka written on my label? 

• Agree 1

It is beginning to have that look about it!

13 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if this goes through does it mean I will have to pay for the right to have Manuka written on my label? 

not so far as was discussed at recent field day at Waikato; the intention is to protect NZ beekeepers. I think it would be a bad idea to read too much into a Stuff article, let alone one that quotes the Australian side of the argument. Try to be positive, the NZ Government seems to be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

I doubt it
Its probably more about labeling in the context that Australia doesn't have a "Manuka" bush

A noun or descriptive word cannot be trademarked.

• Thanks 1

On 24/09/2019 at 2:01 AM, Stoney said:

Definitely not

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

No-one has mentioned the $6 million of regional development funding that's going into this name protection bid....

12 hours ago, yesbut said:

No-one has mentioned the $6 million of regional development funding that's going into this name protection bid....

On 24/09/2019 at 9:18 PM, ChrisM said:

Try to be positive, the NZ Government seems to be.

@yesbutI think that’s an excellent use of the money that beekeepers provide the govt in taxes & the collection of GST. I’ve seen TP money spent on a lot more sillier things over the years. 

Actually, I’ll take it one step further and say it’s probably one of the only things that the govt has done in the last few years that actually might pull out industry out of the manure. While they’re on that roll maybe they could actually listen and give the Manuka standard a bit of a kick up the posterior by listening to and reading the collated data that tells them that they may have got it a teensy bit incorrect!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

49 minutes ago, Bron said:

I think that’s an excellent use of the money that beekeepers provide the govt in taxes & the collection of GST.

Nearly as excellent as my pension. 

• Haha 4

On 3/10/2019 at 12:37 PM, ChrisM said:

Excellent use of the fund.

• Agree 1

It doesnt hurt the tax payer to put a little into Bees which is what Maunuka has done.

After all, the general public gets Bees in their gardens for free.

As I mentioned in an earlier post somewhere, I told the moari council to register or tademark the name Manuka.This was about 7 years ago.Did they do that,no.Why because of the cost yet they have had treaty settlements  real bs

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Bighands said:

As I mentioned in an earlier post somewhere, I told the moari council to register or tademark the name Manuka.This was about 7 years ago.Did they do that,no.Why because of the cost yet they have had treaty settlements  real bs

Im not sure that its that simple.
If you rolled up to the trademark people and said you wanted to trademark the word Manuka, they would likely have said that its outside the scope of what is generally considered Trademarkable

To spend millions back then would indeed have been a big call.
As it has turned out it would have been worth the effort but hindsight is a great thing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Philbee said:

To spend millions back then would indeed have been a big call.

Too big for any Maori gathering to ever agree on probably.

• Haha 1

But Manuka is a moari name not a pakeha name. What is the aboriginal name for mauka in australia?

No doubt .... We all have 20/20 hindsight.

Now I 'aint begrudging the fact that the Gvt donated  quite a few million to trademarking one of our honeys ...... but as I sit in the glow of the firelight I ponder the ways of the politicians.

Manuka is the flavour  of the decade and  sells itself ... but the fact of the matter is there are thousands of tonnes of  'other'  high quality honeys languishing  in sheds and when we try to raise a couple hundy K to float a marketing company  .....nobody wants a bar of it.

I guess it's all about shine and priority. 

Meanwhile, out back beyond the black stump us other Bee keepers are trying to grow pumpkins to feed the family ..... only it's too freakin cold for the seed to germinate, or something .

Edited by jamesc

25 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Meanwhile, out back beyond the black stump us other Bee keepers are trying to grow pumpkins to feed the family ..... only it's too freakin cold for the seed to germinate, or something .

I'm in the Bay of Plenty and rarin' to go on my square pumpkin... only my seeds aren't coming up either... might have to consult the doctor... 

What's a square pumpkin  look like ...    Gonna cross the wild waters and show us in the autumn ?

Edited by jamesc

I'll let you know if my seeds come up. Got some unused supers that I'll cut down and put over a flowering shoot and see what happens. There is a competition out there somewhere...gotta have some fun in my life!

7 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Gonna cross the wild waters and show us in the autumn ?

There is nothing better on this planet than heading to the mainland but one has to clear it with She Who Must Be Obeyed. Shoulda read the fine print on the contract.

And plant a few more seeds...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gwenyn Gwesty said:

I'll let you know if my seeds come up. Got some unused supers that I'll cut down and put over a flowering shoot and see what happens. There is a competition out there somewhere...gotta have some fun in my life!

There is nothing better on this planet than heading to the mainland but one has to clear it with She Who Must Be Obeyed. Shoulda read the fine print on the contract.

And plant a few more seeds...

Shopping trip in Ch Ch should swing it eh .

2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Shopping trip in Ch Ch should swing it eh .

Me'n'er met in Tekapo so to reminisce about the years gone by... have to build up some brownie points... and who knows...

😜9AF81D39-E413-4480-BB11-42E39FFB765E.jpeg

Ok .. just forward her this and the world will be your oyster .

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

Beekeeping and the good doctor go hand in hand. I have a smooooth home made plum wine that come hell or high water will make it across those fair waters. With or without my square pumpkin. Or me. Or HER...

6 minutes ago, Gwenyn Gwesty said:

Beekeeping and the good doctor go hand in hand. I have a smooooth home made plum wine that come hell or high water will make it across those fair waters. With or without my square pumpkin. Or me. Or HER...

Okay ..... I tracked down  a fiddle player ..... she's mean..... if you like fiddle players......

Edited by jamesc