Phil46

Price increase in equipment

8 hours ago, Daley said:

I think there is very limited 1 & 2 plastic recycling in NZ.

It does have potential to be used for roading and I think this was being investigated.

Obviously recycling plastic isn’t the greatest thing environmentally so using less of it will always be the answer.

But your right, the other stuff (3,4,5&6) used to be sent to China supposedly however they no longer want it, which is why it ended up in other countries, from my understanding they were being paid(or someone was) to take it and it was then being dumped or burnt 😒 no good!

Gisborne waste transfer has recently stopped taking all other plastic except 1 or 2 because all the other plastic which was being collected from recycling bins was being dumped in landfill.

I try to avoid buying any non recyclable plastics and I will be happy when I can get things like cream cheese and cottage cheese in cardboard. I have contemplated saving all the pottles and shipping them to Fonterra as a mild protest seeing they aren’t overly bothered about changing their stupid packaging for several years.

So true, why does yogurt come in those non recycled containers. Bring back glass... Oh it's unecomic...oh we lost 600M... Short sighted economic gains measured by dollars. 

5 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

So true, why does yogurt come in those non recycled containers. Bring back glass... Oh it's unecomic...oh we lost 600M... Short sighted economic gains measured by dollars. 

You can get dairy alternative yoghurt in glass. It’s not quite the same though 

1 hour ago, Daley said:

You can get dairy alternative yoghurt in glass. It’s not quite the same though 

It would be interesting to know how many beekeepers pack and sell their honey in glass.I have sold mine in glass containers now for the last 20 years.

• Like 2

There are huge disincentives to packing in glass. One tiny chip of glass  in your honey (probably from someone being rough with a knife) and you have to recall the whole batch. Not sure that glass is recycled in New Zealand any longer and heaven forbid that you actually wash and reuse class on a commercial scale. Change the stupid rules and I would love to change to glass. I get my glass milk bottles refilled at the farmers market every Sunday which is great except I have to fill in my name and phone number every time in case there is a recall. Stupid government officials don't make life easy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I don’t use glass jars.

But they are recyclable plastic.

Same reason as John is saying with chips, and breakages plus I often carry honey behind the truck seat which isn’t exactly a safe place for a whole heap of glass jars

10 minutes ago, Daley said:

I don’t use glass jars.

Same reason as John is saying with chips, and breakages plus I often carry honey behind the truck seat which isn’t exactly a safe place for a whole heap of glass jars

Surely glass is OK. Plenty of glass items, like Picks peanut butter. The yogurt alternatives are expensive. 

33 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Surely glass is OK. Plenty of glass items, like Picks peanut butter. The yogurt alternatives are expensive. 

I reckon, the supermarkets are loaded with glass.

24 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I reckon, the supermarkets are loaded with glass.

Not as much as they should. The problem with the glass jars I use is price and miles they have to come to get to nz.I use hex jars and they come from the uk while the lids come from italy

4 hours ago, Daley said:

I don’t use glass jars.

What I would like to see recycled is 10kg animal, chook ,rabbit etc , food bags .

If you pull the string they are still in perfect condition when they are empty.

I rung people about where to take them for reuse and they said it was too difficult .

Not good enough .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

What I would like to see recycled is 10kg animal, chook ,rabbit etc , food bags .

I rung people about where to take them for reuse and they said it was too difficult .

Not good enough .

The bags Coprice dog food comes in from Australia is recyclable , which is why I use them .

I believe the Tux and NRM bags are too, but there is no stamp on them so perhaps not, and by whom I don’t know .  The 1 tonne bags fertiliser come in are single use (H&S) and are recyclable .

We now use far more hot water cleaning tins and bottles for recycling , so go figure 

Edited by M4tt

We used to use glass but have changed to plastic for all the reasons mentioned. Clients buying to take overseas preferred the plastic as it was safer and lighter in their luggage. 

• Agree 2

We pack in Glass ..... we produce a product that is'nt cheap and dressed in Glass it looks really sharp.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

We used to use glass but have changed to plastic for all the reasons mentioned. Clients buying to take overseas preferred the plastic as it was safer and lighter in their luggage. 

I agree with you but after discussions with my customers on the environmental aspects of glass people change their minds.You have to stick by your values.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M4tt said:

The bags Coprice dog food comes in from Australia is recyclable , which is why I use them .

I believe the Tux and NRM bags are too, but there is no stamp on them so perhaps not, and by whom I don’t know .  The 1 tonne bags fertiliser come in are single use (H&S) and are recyclable .

We now use far more hot water cleaning tins and bottles for recycling , so go figure 

We have a wetback and solar water pannel .

Our  electric hot water is turned off for 10 mnths of the yr .

In winter our cyclinder often boils . Freaky when the hot water shoots out the pipe and onto the roof .

• Like 2

I am a fan of Arataki going back to the old school cardboard pot for honey - will be interesting to see if the market can get over itself and buy something that is not in a transparent container.

One of the few things that Fonterra got totally right was sticking with the old paper wrapper on butter, and didn't compete with the plastic containers that cruddy margarine comes is.

Edited by Sailabee
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

I am a fan of Arataki going back to the old school cardboard pot for honey - will be interesting to see if the market can get over itself and buy something that is not in a transparent container.

One of the few things that Fonterra got totally right was sticking with the old paper wrapper on butter, and didn't compete with the plastic containers that cruddy margarine comes is.

Ha ,,,,, you beat me to it Sailor .... we gave up margarine on account of the pots.   You just gotta chop a bit more  fire wood to  burn the cholesterol.

Well margarine is a petrochemical concoction, so might as well be contained in a petrochemical concoction.

When TV news showed that old rubbish dump that got washed out by the river, it showed rubbish spread along beaches, among it was magarine containers that had been buried decades ago, they still looked brand new.

• Like 4

Can't remember where I read it but someone from the South Island used to sell hard granulated honey cut into lumps and wrapped up in paper. Perhaps you could freeze it and then dip it in  beeswax to seal it or better still chocolate.

Sorry I'm on a diet and can't help fantasising about chocolate.

• Haha 5

26 minutes ago, john berry said:

Can't remember where I read it but someone from the South Island used to sell hard granulated honey cut into lumps and wrapped up in paper. Perhaps you could freeze it and then dip it in  beeswax to seal it or better still chocolate.

Sounds like a good business proposition.  (For someone a bit younger than you and I, John)

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks

36 minutes ago, john berry said:

Sorry I'm on a diet and can't help fantasising about chocolate.

What sort of a mean diet won’t let you eat chocolate 😳

• Haha 2
  • Spoon 1

On 24/09/2019 at 9:09 PM, tommy dave said:

bet there are plenty of us with a few boxes of frames we don't really need - some will be those semi-commercial dreamers who are now going broke and hoping to get back what they paid for their small volume purchases of a few thousand frames still unused.

Yes youre right there @tommy dave quite a few on the different buy/sell sites looking to part with their over purchases....the good thing about it is,most are willing to negotiate prices,whch you cant do with  the product suppliers.

Heres to small and steady expansion!

• Like 2

On 28/09/2019 at 8:00 PM, kaihoka said:

Not good enough .

Here you go Kaihoka. Run with it. I don’t have time. We use these for shopping bags. 

F235CE8C-945B-41DF-B47D-FA4D0491B5D3.jpeg

• Like 5

@john berry

Chocolate is derived from cacao beans. Bean = vegetable. Sugar is derived from either sugar CANE or sugar BEETS. Both are plants, which places them in the vegetable category. Thus, chocolate is a vegetable.

To go one step further, chocolate candy bars also contain milk, which is dairy. So candy bars are a health food.

Chocolate-covered raisins, cherries, orange slices and strawberries all count as fruit, so eat as many as you want.

If you've got melted chocolate all over your hands, you're eating it too slowly.

The problem: How to get 2 pounds of chocolate home from the store in a hot car. The solution: Eat it in the parking lot.

Diet tip: Eat a chocolate bar before each meal. It'll take the edge off your appetite, and you'll eat less.

If calories are an issue, store your chocolate on top of the fridge. Calories are afraid of heights, and they will jump out of the chocolate to protect themselves. (We're testing this with other snack foods as well.)

If I eat equal amounts of dark chocolate and white chocolate, is that a balanced diet? Don't they actually counteract each other?

Chocolate has many preservatives. Preservatives make you look younger. Therefore, you need to eat more chocolate.

Put "eat chocolate" at the top of your list of things to do today. That way, at least you'll get one thing done.

A nice box of chocolates can provide your total daily intake of calories in one place. Now, isn't that handy?

If you can't eat all your chocolate, it will keep in the freezer. But if you can't eat all your chocolate, what's wrong with you?

If not for chocolate, there would be no need for control top pantyhose. An entire garment industry would be devastated. You can't let that happen, can you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, Mummzie said:

@john berry

Chocolate is derived from cacao beans. Bean = vegetable. Sugar is derived from either sugar CANE or sugar BEETS. Both are plants, which places them in the vegetable category. Thus, chocolate is a vegetable.

To go one step further, chocolate candy bars also contain milk, which is dairy. So candy bars are a health food.

Chocolate-covered raisins, cherries, orange slices and strawberries all count as fruit, so eat as many as you want.

If you've got melted chocolate all over your hands, you're eating it too slowly.

The problem: How to get 2 pounds of chocolate home from the store in a hot car. The solution: Eat it in the parking lot.

Diet tip: Eat a chocolate bar before each meal. It'll take the edge off your appetite, and you'll eat less.

If calories are an issue, store your chocolate on top of the fridge. Calories are afraid of heights, and they will jump out of the chocolate to protect themselves. (We're testing this with other snack foods as well.)

If I eat equal amounts of dark chocolate and white chocolate, is that a balanced diet? Don't they actually counteract each other?

Chocolate has many preservatives. Preservatives make you look younger. Therefore, you need to eat more chocolate.

Put "eat chocolate" at the top of your list of things to do today. That way, at least you'll get one thing done.

A nice box of chocolates can provide your total daily intake of calories in one place. Now, isn't that handy?

If you can't eat all your chocolate, it will keep in the freezer. But if you can't eat all your chocolate, what's wrong with you?

If not for chocolate, there would be no need for control top pantyhose. An entire garment industry would be devastated. You can't let that happen, can you?

Love it 😊😊