Kowhai flowering already

There are a few mature Kowhai just down the road from me which are already in full bloom.

I always thought these started flowering in November.  My two young trees plus another I know of, have yet to do so.

So.....do I plant my Kumara now or not?  Traditionally, you do this when they start flowering.....just seems way to early.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't  even joke about eating Kereru please. They're disappearing fast. Our mob is down to three now, it's depressing. 

in the old days I bred eating Pigeons, There were a few types and I crossed them both with racing Pigeons Imagine a Pigeon the size of a small chook that could fly at 70kmhr in an uncontrolled div

Shoot and eat the pigeons.  lol

5 minutes ago, mischief said:

There are a few mature Kowhai just down the road from me which are already in full bloom.

I always thought these started flowering in November.  My two young trees plus another I know of, have yet to do so.

So.....do I plant my Kumara now or not?  Traditionally, you do this when they start flowering.....just seems way to early.

When do you normally plant your kumara ?

2 hours ago, mischief said:

Our Kowhai have been flowering down here for one month now.Clematis is late this year.

15 minutes ago, Bighands said:

Our Kowhai have been flowering down here for one month now.Clematis is late this year.

Our kowhai never get to flower , the pigeons destroy them .

Clematis in full flower .

Kamahi is late , saw some small unopened buds today .

4 hours ago, mischief said:

So.....do I plant my Kumara now or not?  

Yes. Kumaraho is in flower, so you plant. Well here anyway.

54 minutes ago, olbe said:

mmm Kowhai'd pigeon yum

When they are on Miro they used to use the miro out of them for sauce. Or those staunch old guys used to suck the miro right out of their butt, there's still some who do that..

Edited by Alastair
  • Sad 2
24 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Don't  even joke about eating Kereru please. They're disappearing fast. Our mob is down to three now, it's depressing. 

A DOC friend who lives up the pohara valley in Golden Bay has a flock of 30 in his trees

12 hours ago, Alastair said:

When they are on Miro they used to use the miro out of them for sauce. Or those staunch old guys used to suck the miro right out of their butt, there's still some who do that..

Edited 12 hours ago by Alastair

I read in a book about the history of food .

That you hang game birds untill the guts becomes liquid and drips out through the beak .

• Agree 1
4 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

A DOC friend who lives up the pohara valley in Golden Bay has a flock of 30 in his trees

I read in a book about the history of food .

That you hang game birds untill the guts becomes liquid and drips out through the beak .

No, the way the cullers used to eat pigeon was to wrap them in clay,place in fire, when clay cracks all ok.Peel clay off feathers and all comes away and the guts is in one small bnall.When they are on the iro the flavour goes right thru the bird. Yummy.

1 hour ago, Bighands said:

No, the way the cullers used to eat pigeon was to wrap them in clay,place in fire, when clay cracks all ok.Peel clay off feathers and all comes away and the guts is in one small bnall.When they are on the iro the flavour goes right thru the bird. Yummy.

this was in england , with pheasant grouse etc.

@Alastair have you hung game birds like that before you eat them. ?

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

this was in england , with pheasant grouse etc.

@Alastair have you hung game birds like that before you eat them. ?

Not me. ?

I do know of the practise though part of my childhood was spent in England. I always thought it was a bit dodge, but my mother was into it. Not just birds, but rabbits, and I don't know what else, they used to hang them for days, guts and all.

Edited by Alastair
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, yesbut said:

It will be the damn cats eating them.. 

Plenty of kereru round here , they’re so fat they almost clip the ground as they flap furiously for height 

• Agree 1
On 23/09/2019 at 10:41 PM, Alastair said:

Yes. Kumaraho is in flower, so you plant. Well here anyway.

in the old days I bred eating Pigeons,
There were a few types and I crossed them both with racing Pigeons
Imagine a Pigeon the size of a small chook that could fly at 70kmhr in an uncontrolled dive

They were scary

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3