jamesc

Bit nippy for a pumpkin

We've had a pumpkin on the roof of the chook house since last summer and today it was finally deemed cold enough to press the "go" button on soup with bacon bits and home baked bread.. We never used seeds, the pumpkins must have come from our compost, they completely took over the garden last summer this was the very last one. Basically smothered everything we did plant. This year we have regained control with the best crop of tomatoes we've ever had. Still lots of tomatoes to come before we consider planting anything else.

• Like 1

While we were disappointed with this seasons pumpkin crop, the beetroot's have more than made up for it!

More than a dozen of the things, slowly eating our way through them...

200405 Beetroot 001.JPG

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Gwenyn Gwesty said:

While we were disappointed with this seasons pumpkin crop, the beetroot's have more than made up for it!

More than a dozen of the things, slowly eating our way through them...

200405 Beetroot 001.JPG

I have no idea what to do with beetroot , but I still grow it cause it is so easy to grow .

I thought you were showing off your purple emoji

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I have no idea what to do with beetroot , but I still grow it cause it is so easy to grow .

Big chunks in with the Sunday Roast... beetroot chutney... sliced and preserved for homemade burger... The Wife found a soup recipe that I think I will give a miss!

They seem to keep perfectly in the ground, not going 'woody', so there they will be for a long while yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

My wife buys them and she blends them up with other fruit.  If I arrive home and I'm really really really thirsty, I'll brave having a glass or two.  Some after-taste.  I tell the kids its called Betroot Juice torture.  I get in trouble for that.

IMG_4884.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Beetroot sammies, very good for stamina and recovery .

Usually beetroot juice is mixed with apple to get easier down the throat and some with carrot juice. I like to drink beetroot/apple/carrot juice or beetroot/apple. All only squeezed and pasteurized by temperature.. Carrot/apple is also nice juice to drink.. When adding apples, try some apples which are not sweet variety - nicer juice will be. 

• Like 2