Jump to content
jamesc

Bit nippy for a pumpkin

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Gwenyn Gwesty said:

We like them, but haven't grown any other types so can't compare them. It's a McGregor's Whangaparaoa Crown "Probably the most popular variety in NZ" according to their own blur

Thank you .

Those seeds were the ones I ended up getting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just throw seeds from a pumpkin I like in with old hay bales lining the fence line and wait till they decide to germinate. If I buy the plants it’s never the right time and either the wx, slugs or blackbirds get the new growth.  But this year the rats are eating out every seed that’s out there even though I caught at least 40 of the pests in my live traps. Might have to try something else.😩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Oma said:

caught at least 40 of the pests in my live traps. .😩

How do you deal to them ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oma said:

I just throw seeds from a pumpkin I like in with old hay bales lining the fence line and wait till they decide to germinate. If I buy the plants it’s never the right time and either the wx, slugs or blackbirds get the new growth.  But this year the rats are eating out every seed that’s out there even though I caught at least 40 of the pests in my live traps. Might have to try something else.😩

I have a plague of rats too .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yesbut said:

How do you deal to them ?

A DOC 200, strong steel spring trap that squashes them and kills them very fast. We put dried rabbit meat in as a bait an also a Diphacinone block that is a rat poison.

 

Or, a couple of Diphacinone blocks in a Philproof bait station. 

 

We use both on DOC land approved by DOC and with their permission.

 

Goodnature A24's do a fine job as they don't need emptying or regular checking. Cost more though!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah yep ..... coming along nicely .   My seed has'nt germinated , so it's back to square one !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your seed hasn't ... oh, pumpkin seed... for a moment there i thought you were on another track!

 

Patience and perseverance

 

Good luck....

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, yesbut said:

How do you deal to them ?

I have 3 live catch wire traps brought from Farmlands years ago. I’ve wired them with a fish hook and use venison salami they can’t resist that and the outside rind is tough enough to hold on the hook. As the rats try to remove the bait the door slams shut, I then drown them in a bucket and sling them over the fence into the hay paddock. I must say we have some yummy looking fat rats here can understand how they have ended up on the menu in the past.  I have a wild hawk that has become very used to finding his dinner in the hay paddock just waiting for him day after day, he entertains us by circling down and carting them off.

I’ve tried all sorts of traps including A24s but this is the only way I have had success. As for the poison bait the rats round here eat it for breakfast and then turn up at lunch for more, I’m sure they have worked up a tolerance to it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oma said:

I have 3 live catch wire traps brought from Farmlands years ago. I’ve wired them with a fish hook and use venison salami they can’t resist that and the outside rind is tough enough to hold on the hook. As the rats try to remove the bait the door slams shut, I then drown them in a bucket and sling them over the fence into the hay paddock. I must say we have some yummy looking fat rats here can understand how they have ended up on the menu in the past.  I have a wild hawk that has become very used to finding his dinner in the hay paddock just waiting for him day after day, he entertains us by circling down and carting them off.

I’ve tried all sorts of traps including A24s but this is the only way I have had success. As for the poison bait the rats round here eat it for breakfast and then turn up at lunch for more, I’m sure they have worked up a tolerance to it.

When i was a kid we used to shoot rats in Turangi with air rifles.The dump was a good spot and the Tokaanu stream had the biggest water rats that ive ever seen to this day. They were huge.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Oma said:

ve tried all sorts of traps including A24s but this is the only way I have had success. As for the poison bait the rats round here eat it for breakfast and then turn up at lunch for more, I’m sure they have worked up a tolerance to it.

If it was not for the terrible smell in the bedroom wall I would be wondering if the poison was killing them too.

But the rats my cat brings in to eat on the carpet appear to be dead and she only eats the head .

I am using peanut butter in the trap . The biggest problem with that is the mice eating the bait and not setting off the trap .

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, YTB8TA270 said:

When i was a kid we used to shoot rats in Turangi with air rifles.The dump was a good spot and the Tokaanu stream had the biggest water rats that ive ever seen to this day. They were huge.

Yes the water rats come up to our place when the lower Tongariro floods. They are a beautiful animal, dark, a lovely shine on their thick coats, bright eyes, large and fat and edible if you were hungry enough. Quite different to the usual smaller grey, wiley, burrowing Norwegian compost rats.

 We now have a excellent trapping program running along the upper river banks so the river rats are getting a hammering and the blue duck population is increasing every year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Oma said:

Yes the water rats come up to our place when the lower Tongariro floods. They are a beautiful animal, dark, a lovely shine on their thick coats, bright eyes, large and fat and edible if you were hungry enough. Quite different to the usual smaller grey, wiley, burrowing Norwegian compost rats.

 We now have a excellent trapping program running along the upper river banks so the river rats are getting a hammering and the blue duck population is increasing every year.

Id have to be quite Hungry to eat a rat. Though i did eat some hedgehog at a school camp over the hill there once. Bout 1977. Have learnt how to find yummyer tucker since then.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...