jamesc

Bit nippy for a pumpkin

Righto .

Over the years many summers have been legendary for something.

The horse races up at Medbury were pretty legendary for us  a few years ago , when we saddled up the Nags and rode north through the back country for a week to race 'em at the the track at Hurunui. When we camped in the riverbed not far from the Hotel by the river and rode down there on a night to quench our thirsts, and heard tales in the morning from locals  of ghosted riders galloping down  the main drag at 2.00am

Or the time we trucked 'em nags down to Central for the Speights High Country Musters'  meet and raced the Double Dink, and the Jimmy's Pie pick up and the Clydey sprint that made the earth shake worse than the Alpine fault ....

Legendary.

There were other legends .... like our Beekeeper Vlad from Bulgaria who liked a beer and a Toke and woke me one night in the early hours with his wailing violin music ..... stoned and drunk on the verandah with a big smile on his face.

Or the Pole  who spent six summers with us  and bought all the beer on a tiki tour up north. I paid for the accomadation and food.  Don't ever take a Pole on a road trip.

So this summer I think we'll tone it down a bit.

Pumpkins.

Get yer seed in the ground  and plan on a  road trip down to the old  wool shed in whitecliffs on Halloween. Bring yer biggest and best.

We'll supply a bonfire and a keg and a nice lady on the violin.

Details to follow.

• Like 2

Sounds great... 

Will your pumpkins grow from seed to mature  by 31 October ? 

Mine take a hundy odd days round here... maybe I’m doin something wrong .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

Sounds great... 

Will your pumpkins grow from seed to mature  by 31 October ? 

Mine take a hundy odd days round here... maybe I’m doin something wrong .. 

Absolutely no idea !!

I think that  a Northern hemisphere halloween  ..... we is looking at southern hemisphere so good point   some time in May.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Absolutely no idea !!

So... pumpkins grown by pak n save and new world are eligible then?? .. 

Hmmm .... The pumkin is the excuse ..... the ticket to the bonfire, the keg and the violin/fiddle

The last bonfire we had was a disaster .... the mates Falcon 500 got torched and the Missus rolled her Cruiser in the ditch.

Happy days!

Edited by jamesc
  • Haha 1

Hope that hound dog won't be "crying all the time"

And if it hasn't caught "any rabbit" it "ain't no friend of mine"'

Don't think this goes with a violin. 

Can bring a little pumpkin from last summer. 

Of course!

I always take things so seriously... anyway.. I’ll bring some vege garden weeds.. they grow real good round here over summer.. last party I witnessed at white cliffs was many moons ago on the old stage at Grennels.. nudist massaging.. 

as a teenager my eyeballs popped out and hit the windscreen as my gruff uncle slapped me upside the head .. happy days 

• Haha 1

Hahaaa .... yeah I remember ... you was the skinny fellah with the big grin  being chased out of the sweat lodge by that Big Mama. Oops.

Happy days in the valley !

• Haha 1

Classic.. it was a big grin too. 

I was happier chasing the big tusky boars  around the forest opposite his place with my dogs.. and they were much nicer looking .. 

Edited by Stoney

Better come up and renew the friendship ...Pig on a spit with the Pumpkin would be good.

Perhaps we can stay in that doozy of a log cabin of yours and poach a nice fat sow from the neighbours place with the ol 1950 husky 6.5x55..  😬

4 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Perhaps we can stay in that doozy of a log cabin of yours and poach a nice fat sow from the neighbours place with the ol 1950 husky 6.5x55..  😬

sure ... the cabin is yours, but the neighbours pigs are the neighbours, bit i think we are grazing all the neighbours livestock at the moment !What the heck is a 195o Husky ..... chainsaw ?

Edited by jamesc
  • Haha 2

On 20/09/2019 at 9:26 PM, jamesc said:

sure ... the cabin is yours, but the neighbours pigs are the neighbours, bit i think we are grazing all the neighbours livestock at the moment !What the heck is a 195o Husky ..... chainsaw ?

swedish firearm  6.5x55 being the calibre

• Good Info 1

Righto .......

Just a  courtesy call to see whose had some success with getting some champion pumpkin seeds to germinate .....

That's interesting GG ..... even up there in The Bay of Plenty you got nought yet . The fridge door  from the Ice must be still open.

Stopped lighting the fire three days ago, definitely late this year, don't know what effect this has on the pollination of Avos and kiwis and tough going for those trying to build some brood.

Maybe @Dennis Crowley would be in the know?

We still got  the fire going. Set up some cell builders on friday to do a first graft tomorrow , but to be real the forecast is garbage for the next ten days .....low cloud and drizzle ....

but as the board on the shed says "No rush bro"...... except we is gonna miss the flow .....  "No rush Bro ..... the shed is full at the Mo ... I need to talk with Bruce Clowe "

I think that rhymes. 😃

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Gwenyn Gwesty said:

Stopped lighting the fire three days ago, definitely late this year, don't know what effect this has on the pollination of Avos and kiwis and tough going for those trying to build some brood.

Maybe @Dennis Crowley would be in the know?

Avo pollination has started for some, kiwis not that faraway. The cold can slow down the first/early orchards for a week or so but the later ones seem to always be around the same time.

Yep slow hive buildup for some, depends where your hives are, even in the bay there are hives swarming and hives sulking. Rewarewa just starting to flower so if we get warm sunny weather shell be all on.

• Like 5

And we're off... three pumpkins (and one sweetcorn!) bravely braving the bracing spring weather. 

With a load of TLC and some warmer weather, we hope for a bountiful crop of many large and tasty pumpkins.

And one square one.

191019 Pumpkin.JPG

• Like 3

Good start.

I've moved my pumkinns inside and started again. It's too cold in the green house.

F1F958E8-9517-480A-A590-83062CA5B93B.jpeg

18 degrees? Cor blimey! Ours were inside and took an age to pop their heads above the parapet. Are now in our plastic glasshouse outside, still got single figure overnight temps, be a while yet before I dare to move them to the veggie patch, need to toughen them up for a wee bit yet.

And for the weather to settle... the wind and rain has squashed my spuds, flattened the olive trees and stalled any growth that the brassica's were thinking off. 

But... the girls are foraging so something out there is in flower which is the best news!

• Like 1

Last of last summers crop, roast pumpkin for dinner, (for the next week) and soup for the summer! Plus a piece for the neighbour...

We have suddenly jumped from mid teens to late twenties in one day in the Bay of Plenty, so have bitten the bullet and planted out from the plastic house.

And the water tank is dry.

191103 Pumpkin 001.JPG

191103 Pumpkin 003.JPG

• Like 5

Is that a nice pumpkin to eat .

For yrs I have brought yates hybrid pumpkin seeds and they grew lovely eating pumpkins.

But wekas dug up my plants and I am having trouble getting more of those seeds .

I do not know what else is any good .

There are some rubbish pumpkins out there .

We like them, but haven't grown any other types so can't compare them. It's a McGregor's Whangaparaoa Crown "Probably the most popular variety in NZ" according to their own blurb!

Feels like we are way behind this year, but they do grow quickly in these parts so guess we'll catch up...

191104 Pumpkin 001.JPG

191104 Pumpkin 002.JPG