chipsandwich

How Much Should I Be Paid? 10+ Seasons Experience

17 hours ago, chipsandwich said:

This year I am helping my father out beekeeping, I have at least 10 seasons under my belt helping out during high school and uni holidays etc. I don't want to bleed him dry but, I also want a fair wage.

I can do everything general beekeeping requires independently and have management experience from another industry.  In the peak season I will be out in the field working with and directing less experienced staff, I'll also be involved in the day to day management of the business.

What would be a good ballpark figure to start at? I was thinking in the mid 20s range - is this fair?

This is always difficult. Your Father sounds fair and you sound reasonable. Before finding a compromise, ask your self some questions. 

• Do you want to do the job? Is this the direction you ave chosen or is this short term for you? 
  • What are your alternatives? Would you rather do the alternatives and what salary or hourly rate would they deliver? 
  • Is this a family business that you want to be part of? Grow and develop? 
  • Do possible future rewards out way short term pay pain? 
  • Does your father want you to take the position? 

If your answers to the above are in the positive then make a deal. Suggest that you think you are worth $28-30 but will start on $25 and prove yourself. Ask your father for an honest appraisal and pay review at the 6 month mark. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Nuc_man said:

Can I come work for you?

Those two positions are filled this year .....  

Edited by jamesc

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 5:43 PM, chipsandwich said:

I have worked with the other staff in the past and they're more than happy to take a backseat, not the leading type.

I have seen this situation before, where a son comes in, in a manergerial role. I was all fine and dandy while the son was learning from other staff, but once he was in a leadership role most of it turned pearshaped. The power went to his head and because he was 'the big boss's son', staff felt they couldn't complain - good staff left because of the son.

• Like 2
  • Disagree 1

5 hours ago, BeeGirl said:

I have seen this situation before, where a son comes in, in a manergerial role. I was all fine and dandy while the son was learning from other staff, but once he was in a leadership role most of it turned pearshaped. The power went to his head and because he was 'the big boss's son', staff felt they couldn't complain - good staff left because of the son.

Give the guy a break. You have to start managing at some point. If he has been working along side these people for years during holidays he should have his feet firmly on the ground. 

Life will soon nock the sharp edges of him on his way. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BeeGirl said:

Could happen. We know nothing really. 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, BeeGirl said:

thats certainly is something that happens, but not always "the bosses sons" fault either. sometimes its simply perceived that way by the other staff.

its something to watch out for especially if jumping on board a sinking ship.

• Agree 1

Nice to see another thread with a bit of positivity not.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Agreed.  Not required at all.

31 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Agreed.  Not required at all.

sorry trev but i don't like to see people get burnt.

seen that situation a fair few times especially in a downturn.

• Spoon 1

yep, nepotism can turn a pleasant work environment toxic pretty darn quickly.

Edited by Bee Good
spelling
  • Spoon 1

1 hour ago, tristan said:

sorry trev but i don't like to see people get burnt.

seen that situation a fair few times especially in a downturn.

55 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

yep, nepotism can turn a pleasant work environment toxic pretty darn quickly.

Then start another thread on the matter.  The man is just asking for advice, he does not need to be shot down for others problems, 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tristan said:

thats certainly is something that happens, but not always "the bosses sons" fault either. sometimes its simply perceived that way by the other staff.

its something to watch out for especially if jumping on board a sinking ship.

14 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

The man is just asking for advice, he does not need to be shot down for others problems, 

The positive advice to this chap, is to ask for more income than you think you should get, especially if you end up working by yourself. 😀

17 hours ago, yesbut said:

Come on... The guy's been in the industry for 10+ seasons. It's his father's business - the son should know what the other staff are getting paid. He's left school and has done a bit of work elsewhere, so he should know about the minimum wage, contracts etc.

He needs to do some maths and see what he needs, in money terms, to live off - is he living at home, mortgage, young family etc. 

No negativity intended. Sorry if I offended. Just seen this situation happen on more than one occassion in other areas of employment.