CraBee

Swarming.....has started

I got to a site of very strong hives today and found in one of them that the Q had absconded in last week.  Lots of Queen cells including plenty near the bottom of the frame.  I've never had a hive swarm this early before, normally it is from in and around Sept 23rd and onwards.  I've not needed to or been winding these hives up either, they got a pollen pattie and a couple of litres of syrup on July 22nd, that's all.  The hive is still plenty strong so I don't think it will end up making much of a difference to it..

Edited by CraBee
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Are you running single or double deckers

This hive was 2FD brood boxes, excluder, then 3/4.  

I have the first round of 10 day old cells out soon so will split them in the next three or four days, they're just about to get into a strong willow flow so if I don't they'll end up hanging in the trees. 

Edited by CraBee

We don't have drones yet, although last week was beautiful and warm, with lots of floral sources, and the hives have really stepped up.  The current bout of cold weather will put us back a bit. 

So, you are making queenless nucs?  We get incredibly strong winds over the spring equinox

2 hours ago, CraBee said:

I got to a site of very strong hives today and found in one of them that the Q had absconded in last week.  Lots of Queen cells including plenty near the bottom of the frame.  I've never had a hive swarm this early before, normally it is from in and around Sept 23rd and onwards.  I've not needed to or been winding these hives up either, they got a pollen pattie and a couple of litres of syrup on July 22nd, that's all.  The hive is still plenty strong so I don't think it will end up making much of a difference to it..

there was a swarm round here on the weekend.

41 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

there was a swarm round here on the weekend.

Hope it wasn't mine...

50 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

We don't have drones yet, although last week was beautiful and warm, with lots of floral sources, and the hives have really stepped up.  The current bout of cold weather will put us back a bit. 

So, you are making queenless nucs?  We get incredibly strong winds over the spring equinox

We were supposed to have a really poor weather week this week but it has mostly rained at night, including now, with the odd shower during the day, so not too bad.

With these hives at that site I think I will just split a brood box off with the Queen and place a cell in the brood box in the original position.

Not all my sites are like this.....the first site I got to today I found two hives that had recently starved with a carpet of bees on the floor...

• Like 1

Morning all just reading the threads and I noticed I have drones in some of the boxes but the weather is still a little cool and wet ,is it to soon to start making splits ,we are up here in Paihia 

On 5/09/2019 at 8:41 PM, CraBee said:

Hope it wasn't mine...

We were supposed to have a really poor weather week this week but it has mostly rained at night, including now, with the odd shower during the day, so not too bad.

With these hives at that site I think I will just split a brood box off with the Queen and place a cell in the brood box in the original position.

Not all my sites are like this.....the first site I got to today I found two hives that had recently starved with a carpet of bees on the floor...

Ive also found a couple of starved hives despite being left generous over winter stores.
My view is not one of disappointment in these cases but rather one of satisfaction.

"Those  hungry genes wont be bothering me again" 

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Ive also found a couple of starved hives despite being left generous over winter stores.
My view is not one of disappointment in these cases but rather one of satisfaction.

Carnie or Italian? Just my curiosity..

Edited by Goran

3 minutes ago, Philbee said:

###### that.

feeding hives is such a simple thing to do. its just plain PPBK to let them starve.

i give myself 10 lashes of the whip for screwing up that badly.

Just now, Goran said:

Carnie or Italian?

They are a mix of both.
I get dark Bees that exhibit typically Yellow traits and Vise versa.
In terms of appearance it it is rare for me to see a really yellow type Queen, most have at least a dark tip to the abdomen. 

1 minute ago, Philbee said:

They are a mix of both.
I get dark Bees that exhibit typically Yellow traits and Vise versa.
In terms of appearance it it is rare for me to see a really yellow type Queen, most have at least a dark tip to the abdomen. 

Thanks for prompt answer. 

2 minutes ago, tristan said:

###### that.

feeding hives is such a simple thing to do. its just plain PPBK to let them starve.

i give myself 10 lashes of the whip for screwing up that badly.

Lol

Man it isnt viable to cater for the 1% during winter.
Even in pumice country many sites are inaccessible and to attempt to get their even if that way inclined would cost moon beams.

Pasture damage alone is significant.
Im not going there. 

2 minutes ago, Goran said:

Thanks for prompt answer. 

Thats because we are ahead of your time zone.
Some countries get answers even before the question is asked

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

Lol

Even in pumice country many sites are inaccessible and to attempt to get their even if that way inclined would cost moon beams.

Im not going there. 

Thats because we are ahead of your time zone.
Some countries get answers even before the question is asked

I ask myself the same questions - is it worth doing something beekeeping related, or would I be more productive doing 

something related to the business as a whole.  So what could come across as PPBK may have actually resulted in me

doing something 10 X more valuable.  I'm sure you are the same as it relates to your time spent bk , v time spent on the

staples.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I worked some very strong hives last wednesday and about a third of them had queen cells. What was interesting was that nearly all of them had 2 or 3 day old larvae. It's as if on some certain day some signal went off, and the queens of those hives all layed in queen cups the same day.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

I worked some very strong hives last wednesday and about a third of them had queen cells. What was interesting was that nearly all of them had 2 or 3 day old larvae. It's as if on some certain day some signal went off, and the queens of those hives all layed in queen cups the same day.

if they where laid about the 8th, that was also the highest temp for the last month.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

2 hours ago, Alastair said:

Are you squashing cells or splitting @Alastair ?

4 hours ago, Philbee said:

Lol

Im not going there. 

i've never fed in winter.

its not difficult to set them up for winter.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CraBee said:

I ask myself the same questions - is it worth doing something beekeeping related, or would I be more productive doing 

something related to the business as a whole.  So what could come across as PPBK may have actually resulted in me

doing something 10 X more valuable.  I'm sure you are the same as it relates to your time spent bk , v time spent on the

staples.

Yes thats about it.

1 hour ago, CraBee said:

Are you squashing cells or splitting @Alastair ?

Those hives had package bees taken off which have been sold. No need to do any other swarm control or even destroy the queen cells, they will not be swarming now. 😉

2 hours ago, Alastair said:

Those hives had package bees taken off which have been sold. No need to do any other swarm control or even destroy the queen cells, they will not be swarming now. 😉

That's interesting, was in contact with a local guy last week and he was up in Canada drumming up business....

• Like 1

The Canadians take them in our Autumn, the spring packages I've made recently are being sold locally.

So, this happened today. I told them not to get confused when I discovered they were queenless a week ago...

1FEE0F65-5EE3-4DAB-A56F-900570522DE8.jpeg

Possibly not queenless, so much as the queen was on a pre-swarm diet and had stopped laying.

Unlikely. Not an egg or larvae to be seen. Only capped brood over a week ago, which has all now hatched. I suspect they tried a mid winter supersedeure that failed and grabbed the last few eggs from a failing queen.