Windward

NZBF Uniting hives cockup

Today I decided to unite the queenless with the queenright hive. Using "Practical Beekeeping" book advice I put the weak hive on the bottom (in the strong hive spot)followed by newspaper and the strong queenright hive on top. So far all good. What I forgot about was the top feeders which each had quite a bit of comb and bees under the plastic covers.  I shook them out as much as possible but now I have a mound of bees in the old weak hive site and a mound of bees unwilling to reenter the new weak hive entrance (which I take to be foraging bees returning to the strong hive and finding things have changed). Hmmm feeling like it's a bit of a dog's breakfast right now. I have jacked up the top box so those bees can hopefully find a way back into their box....And have placed a nuc in the old weak beehive site to hopefully collect stragglers.  If I do get stragglers how can I reintegrate them?

4 minutes ago, Windward said:

Today I decided to unite the queenless with the queenright hive. Using "Practical Beekeeping" book advice I put the weak hive on the bottom (in the strong hive spot)followed by newspaper and the strong queenright hive on top. So far all good. What I forgot about was the top feeders which each had quite a bit of comb and bees under the plastic covers.  I shook them out as much as possible but now I have a mound of bees in the old weak hive site and a mound of bees unwilling to reenter the new weak hive entrance (which I take to be foraging bees returning to the strong hive and finding things have changed). Hmmm feeling like it's a bit of a dog's breakfast right now. I have jacked up the top box so those bees can hopefully find a way back into their box....And have placed a nuc in the old weak beehive site to hopefully collect stragglers.  If I do get stragglers how can I reintegrate them?

I’d suggest having nothing there for them to shelter in and check just after dark that there isn’t a clump if them sitting somewhere. Wet weather or darkness seems to get them to find a home pretty fast. If there are any in the nuc you could shake them out at the hive entrance.

• Like 1

They were clumping under the pallet....probably only a handful by nightfall fortunately. 

1 minute ago, Windward said:

They were clumping under the pallet....probably only a handful by nightfall fortunately. 

Tip them back in the hive be tomorrow , from your nuc 

2 minutes ago, Windward said:

Don’t have anything at all in the place where the Nuc was sitting.

• Like 1