Trevor Gillbanks

September 2019 Apiary Diary

@M4tt

I am glad you got some sun .

Are your boxes painted sun colours as a sympathetic magic strategy.

I went through my hives today .

The  queen in the weak hive I gave brood too is now laying well.

I gave that hive another frame of capped brood from a hive I wish to weaken and moved the hive out of the nuc and into a box .

The 3/4 frames that had comb built at the bottom have had all that comb filled with drone brood .

I bust open some drone brood and could see no varroa .

I shuffled some strips around and removed chewed ones . After not really touching them all winter they are munching them.up now .

I fed some frames of honey to the hives .

They are bringing  some nectar in but not enough I think.

• Like 4

Here’s a colour hit for you all 

10F7FEEC-1508-460A-8D72-918166472108.jpeg

751A1095-C21B-44D1-9002-9D857D762AAE.jpeg

• Like 6

Ill keep eye out for those Boxes Matt

• Like 1

That's rather a lot of gear for a "hobbyist" isn't it ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, yesbut said:

It would be if it were for bee keeping but its an art installation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I guess I got carried away

Theres still another 26 hives out there with two or three boxes on full of bees that you can’t see  😁

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 1

On 17/09/2019 at 6:44 AM, jamesc said:

Ok.... back to pumpkins

judging at Halloween.

A7F9753E-6F1A-4BA9-99EF-4166DB3D4205.jpeg

this beats a wheelbarrow

Pumpkins.jpg

• Haha 2

Wherever that photo has been taken, it's obviously been a bit nippy that Hallowene

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Aah ..... so you is in Bro.

I'll run up some application forms and we'll get the pumpkin rolling eh.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Will that been $1700 for the first application, then $1700 for the next application later in the year

• Spoon 1

I'll come back to you on that Hunny .... just waiting to get Dennis's take on the situation

Anyway ..... moving on from Pumpkins and nippy mornings .....

I talked with a new found mate this morning who has recently come back from an overseas sales trip.

To be honest I had been down in the dumps for a few weeks wondering why  the heck we were persevering with the bees and working another season for less than peanuts. But that call this morning changed my world.

The word on the street is that brand New Zealand is strong on the world stage and that New Zealand honey is a honey to die for.

So next time a I  get a phone call from someone wanting to buy some cheap and nasty honey ..... I'll suggest they go look somewhere  else .... probably  10,000ks away. 

Thanks .... Mate.

4420F054-D389-4CBB-90C6-135895DF3FB7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, kevin moore said:

this beats a wheelbarrow

Pumpkins.jpg

Now if she had been the pumpkin farmer that caught us with her pumpkins, i'd still be there cutting her wood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This was an interesting find today. The best hive by far  this season. Booming, ready to pull four nucs out of ..... but wait for it ..... it came out of the Greendale rob out zone last summer, moved west a bit for a time on the Nodders up at Windwhistle, then migrated to the dew for the autumn, and winter, battled the Varroa and won, got moved down to the willows ..... and tonight met a firey death in the burning drum with one cell of AFB.

Is ###### the right word ?

4 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Now if she had been the pumpkin farmer that caught us with her pumpkins, i'd still be there cutting her wood.

🍺

Dennis'Pumpkin farmer did'nt have AFB, she looks like a nice girl  ..... the one before that did .

• Sad 4

8 hours ago, jamesc said:

but wait for it ..... it came out of the Greendale rob out zone last summer, ..... and tonight met a firey death in the burning drum with one cell of AFB.

Is ###### the right word ?

Well I guess it was only a matter of time for the ugly head to rear itself once again.. 

you ain’t alone.. but at least you got the dog to take for a walk around anything of concern.. 

20 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Well I guess it was only a matter of time for the ugly head to rear itself once again.. 

you ain’t alone.. but at least you got the dog to take for a walk around anything of concern.. 

Doggy quite liked the hive ..... it's been on the watchlist since the autumn. 

• Like 1

On 16/09/2019 at 6:44 PM, jamesc said:

So here's the point, the honey market is rock bottom, we know that, but if you want honey to add to a product that has export potential then we need to up the talk.

Here at Jimmy Cs Beyond the Black Stump  Bee Business we don't produce cheap and nasty honey. We produce the best honey in the world has gone through all the hoops and tests to confirm that, and as such it is worth paying a little bit more for to ensure you  produce a quality product and ensure you get the repeat orders from satisfied customers. 

Now you sound like @Adam 

Another beautiful day in the Garden City. Bees are busy busy busy bringing in the nectar and building nice white comb. But a bit grumpy. Must be onto the Kowhai... Not stingy grumpy, just the fizzing past my hands looking at me sideways kind of grumpy 😬😬

• Like 1

first spring inspection today for an experimental hive that had been looking like it might have some varroa-resistant tendencies, so didn't get an autumn treatment. Strong, heaps of bees, heaps of stores, plenty of varroa in the drone brood, strips going in. Worth a shot.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, tommy dave said:

first spring inspection today for an experimental hive that had been looking like it might have some varroa-resistant tendencies, so didn't get an autumn treatment. Strong, heaps of bees, heaps of stores, plenty of varroa in the drone brood, strips going in. Worth a shot.

Is it worth getting a varroa count before stupid take effect?

• Haha 1

Today was the first day of what Im hoping is spring.
The weather here has been rubbish and will likely set some rainfall records.

So today I went out to do some mite counts and set up for a spring trial

The purpose of the Spring trial is to assess the ability of the staple to withstand chewing by the Bees and this data will help us to put together a set of specific instructions relating to the effective life span of the staple in Spring time.

Its all part of the data sets required for Registration.

So today while out and about I did 10 washes, just as Ive done every spring for a few years now.
Nothing appears to have changed, the more washes I do in spring the more frustrated I become.

Today I killed around 3000 useful young bees for zero Mites.

Thank goodness Im not doing efficacy trials in the Spring as they would be severely lacking in data.

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 2
  • Good Info 1

14 hours ago, cBank said:

Is it worth getting a varroa count before stupid take effect?

typo?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, tommy dave said:

typo?

Strips/staples 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, M4tt said:

Strips/staples 

My god yes. Stupid definitely took effect.

Strange little scenario playing out in a hive here. I had a look at a hive that had a bad varroa count, and again 6 weeks into OA/GL it has now counted zero varroa two weeks in a row. It has been struggling though while the others are booming.

The queen looks like she has been through the wars. I noticed that there are 3 or 4 eggs per cell, relatively tidy though and not like when I had a laying worker.

I found a hatched queen cell. Maybe mother and daughter are living together with the daughter having recently started laying? I’ve closed up and will leave them for a bit.

3E463CF8-FF4F-4DB2-B336-6AA9AD07E55F.jpeg

• Like 2

I really enjoy requeening nasty nasty hives with a calm natured queen.

I squash the old queen ( with pleasure) and put the new queen in a cage by herself, without candy , for three days in amongst brood .

On day three, I pop the lid and 9 times out of ten , the bees don’t care . They sit , quiet as , on their frames .

No chasing the hive tool and pinging my veil , nailing me through the suit .

Amazing 

This queen is a weird one . First time I caught and marked her , she fainted . I thought she was dead so dropped her in the hive and walked away . By the time I came back she’d laid out several frames . 

I caught her and remarked her three days ago . She did her ‘play dead ‘ trick so I put her in the cage , as by now , I know her .

Of course she’s fine 😂

D65D4E8F-FB3F-4B8A-8998-7D632B44B689.jpeg

C5B98078-2FBB-497B-90D1-25A5C5AB9B7F.jpeg

626E32CA-36CA-45B3-933C-B8BE44F12C52.jpeg

A842181A-9CA9-4002-94E7-B98774E49EF0.jpeg

• Like 2