Trevor Gillbanks

September 2019 Apiary Diary

12 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Hmmm .... 10c a ,litre ..... so thats about 7 bucks for a tank on the Cruiser ..... 2 kg of honey ...... Tomorrow is Monday and I am planting the greenhouse.

Never done that before in thirty years of beekeeping  on a   monday .

Interesting times.

And the hired hands ..... the hired hands are on a job creation scheme  splicing together the odds and ends of deer netting in readiness to stringing up some more fencing.

Plate Potatoes

There are many ways to eat them

Pumpkins also.

2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Plate Potatoes

There are many ways to eat them

Pumpkins also.

Uh Huh .... Pumpkins ...  There's an idea ..... you wanna Pumpkin growing contest.

1 minute ago, jamesc said:

Uh Huh .... Pumpkins ...  There's an idea ..... you wanna Pumpkin growing contest.

The big ones are not good to eat and Ive always viewed those comps as an exercise in extravagance.

Small pumpkins for soup, a man can work on soup if times are tough

3 minutes ago, Philbee said:

The big ones are not good to eat and Ive always viewed those comps as an exercise in extravagance.

Small pumpkins for soup, a man can work on soup if times are tough

Crikey Phil.

Will you get with the program.

I had this idea ..... The Big Pumpkin Growoff ..... judging in late summer at some mid point winery ..... don't worry about the extravagance ....

Trev's in by the looks of it !

• Haha 2

I love growing pumpkins and giant ones are really fun with the added bonus that they are not really edible.

Seeing that we are talking about pumpkins and the other day the pink cat was trying to improve on his oxalic delivery system by modifying toilet rolls it's probably time I shared what my old man has been up to with pumpkins and toilet rolls.

He plants his pumpkin seeds in toilet rolls which he has in the glass house then when they are ready transfers them roll and all into the ground and they don't look back.

• Like 3

Here’s an idea.. how bout a comp on the longest pumpkin.. 

I wonder if you place a length of pipe (drain or novaflo) over the flower once it’s pollinated and forming shape... the pumpkin may grow to suit the shape., 

my vege garden is all dug over awaiting planting.. 

the first prize could just be something cheap........  like beehives on honeydew sites..

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

I wonder if you place a length of pipe (drain or novaflo) over the flower once it’s pollinated and forming shape... the pumpkin may grow to suit the shape., 

the first prize could just be something cheap........  like beehives on honeydew sites..

When I was old enough to know better but didn't, I grow a bunch of Rock Melons.

They where coming along nicely although a bit unusual looking.

One afternoon I walked into the kitchen and saw all my precious young Rock Melons on the bench.
Mum walked in and I demanded to know why she had picked my Rock Melons before they where ready 

She explained that they were actually Radishs 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

10 hours ago, Stoney said:

The prize ..... Pumpkin Pie of course.

Aah so .....  different classes of pumpkin ..... heaviest, most beautifull, Biggest diameter and ..... wildest shape.

17 hours ago, Ali said:

It's going to be interesting for sure and the only certainty will be sharp price increases with no doubt increased takes by those retailing it to us if the usual percentages are just simply carried over to the increases as usual. The taxes need to be capped at their present level and the retail margin nailed also or we are all in for a double hiding. I won't hold my breath!

I didn't realise how little our news services were telling us about Yemen and the war going on there right now. Interesting how we really have been kept in the dark here. 

If you watch Al jazeera regularly you will be informed .

Anytime oil becomes really expensive it encourages the development of alternatives .

• Agree 1

Just checked the school hives this morning. I was planning on popping some brood frames into a weaker hive that was well behind the rest. But when I checked today the capped brood that it had was pretty much all gone and couldn't find the queen or see any eggs. I have a nice little overwintered nuc that I might pop in after I have another thorough check for the failing queen. I am going to pinch her if she is in there but I think I must have accidently killed her when i was putting in the OA staples two weeks ago.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Anytime oil becomes really expensive it encourages the development of alternatives .

Al jazeera are great but there are many that are not.

I skip past any news channel that has the slightest connection to the British tabloids.

RT America is also one that tends to lean one way IMO

CNN and The National Interest channels are good also

Looking at the photos of the damage Id say it will take months to repair.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Philbee said:

And further drones will be nearly impossible to stop too.

10 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Once the drones that can target people get developed that will cause a few issues as well.

9 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Probably time to dust off the F’y and go for the last Hurrah.

550340F2-C2C7-408A-AB55-916DA739A441.jpeg

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, yesbut said:

eventually a coalition will be forced to cut the head off the snake

26 minutes ago, Philbee said:

eventually a coalition will be forced to cut the head off the snake

But which one ?  Trump's bound to hack at the wrong one.

Edited by yesbut
  • Agree 2

Maybe Trump is the Snake [ we know that anyway]..... where they buy the drones from ??

It's a funny old world we live in.

I had a phone call this afternoon from a gentleman I have done a bit of business with in the past. He was after some cheap and nasty honey. I said i had some manufacturing stuff at $1.50/kg.

'Whats that', he said.

'It's manufacturing stuff. been through the wax oven, looks like molasses, tastes like caramel '

'How are your stock levels ?'\

'Good ..... very good'

'I think I'll pass on that ..... what else do you have ....'

So here's the point, the honey market is rock bottom, we know that, but if you want honey to add to a product that has export potential then we need to up the talk.

Here at Jimmy Cs Beyond the Black Stump  Bee Business we don't produce cheap and nasty honey. We produce the best honey in the world has gone through all the hoops and tests to confirm that, and as such it is worth paying a little bit more for to ensure you  produce a quality product and ensure you get the repeat orders from satisfied customers. 

Hmmm ..... Dorians cousin just arrived in the valley. She's a real nine jugger.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Hmmm ..... Dorians cousin just arrived in the valley. She's a real nine jugger.

At least shes probably not coming with rain .

7 hours ago, Philbee said:

Al jazeera are great but there are many that are not.

I skip past any news channel that has the slightest connection to the British tabloids.

RT America is also one that tends to lean one way IMO

CNN and The National Interest channels are good also

I have just finished watching ,  the loudest voice , a dramatised series about Roger Ailes and the development of Fox news.

I think you would really enjoy it .

Russel Crowe plays Roger . Perfect casting .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

At least shes probably not coming with rain .

Oh yes she is.. it’s the kind of rain that somehow makes it halfway up my kitchen window via a deep veranda. 

I was outside checking for possible wind projectiles earlier and could clearly see a moonlit rainbow over the hill.. 

always get a kick watching the double stack sliding doors flexing.. then you get the odd flex that makes you double check the wind rating sticker.. 

• Like 2

Ok.... back to pumpkins

judging at Halloween.

A7F9753E-6F1A-4BA9-99EF-4166DB3D4205.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/09/2019 at 1:22 PM, Sailabee said:

I'm an unabashed hobby beek like Tommy Dave. I am definitely not really fit to carry the smoker of the likes of Alastair, and I am well aware of the huge chasm from me to those who have earned their living working fulltime for decades, and who did 'apprenticeships with as good as there was in the industry at the time.

My apologies @tommy dave and @Sailabee. There is indeed a huge difference between hobbyist beekeeping and commercial beekeeping. People like me starting out are lucky to have access to the insight offered here in the monthly diary and these forums, and at clubs.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jamesc said:

Ok.... back to pumpkins

judging at Halloween.

A7F9753E-6F1A-4BA9-99EF-4166DB3D4205.jpeg

many years ago while at high school, me and a few mates went tramping for the weekend up mt priongia in the waikato, filled our backpacks with 1/2dozen big bottles of beer and a few cans of bakebeans. in the morning we spied a pumpkin patch high on a hill at the back of a farm, with the demon drink telling us what to do we went and released those pumpkins down the hill and took some back to camp. in the afternoon a farmer turns up and looks at all the pumpkin skins around our camp and well we were nicked. on monday we were spoken to by the principle and the next weekend we were chopping firewood for the farmer for our missdeeds. he was a good sort and gave us a beer afterwards and said if we want any pumpkins just ask, and if we want another beer we know where the axe is.

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

What a beautiful day in the Waikato to be outdoors . Sun, warm , still.

I split two of my favourite hives into three queenless nucs, and used the nice mother  queens to requeen two hives with a poor attitude to me working them .

I moved the nucs from a block down the road , back home . Just far enough so the bees will reorientate. 

Once the new queens from the nucs are proven by their capped brood , they will be used to requeen more unpleasant hives . 

My bees are all on 3/4 gear now 😊. I feel more like the hobbiest that I actually am . 

1F4BAD51-5676-4CEC-BC36-145C249ECA21.jpeg

A959E5B2-EC87-4127-9FD4-F6DFC7785FC8.jpeg

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, M4tt said:

What a beautiful day in the Waikato to be outdoors . Sun, warm , still.

I split two of my favourite hives into three queenless nucs, and used the nice mother  queens to requeen two hives with a poor attitude to me working them .

I moved the nucs from a block down the road , back home . Just far enough so the bees will reorientate. 

Once the new queens from the nucs are proven by their capped brood , they will be used to requeen more unpleasant hives . 

My bees are all on 3/4 gear now 😊. I feel more like the hobbiest that I actually am . 

1F4BAD51-5676-4CEC-BC36-145C249ECA21.jpeg

A959E5B2-EC87-4127-9FD4-F6DFC7785FC8.jpeg

I'm incredibly jealous of your orange coloured boxes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1