Trevor Gillbanks

September 2019 Apiary Diary

3 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Beers, BBQ and Bull…t afterwards

Looks interesting, but in the current environment Bull...t not good!  You need another type of S..t!

Bee ####?

Edited by Apihappy

I had to move my hive around to get it ready for opening up the main entrance again for the new season.

The bees had a a hard time figuring out things were which gave me time to count what was going in. One had red pollen which I thought odd seeing as flax isnt flowering yet- might be dead nettle ...2 out of 3 had either yellow or orange pollen. I wound up opening up the main entrance ahead of schedule to try to lessen the traffic jam.

Almost got hive # 2 ready- just got the roof to sort out. This one is for a Beequip Jumbo deep sized frame.

My main problem right now is that my 32 frame long hive is already working on 20 frames and its not even a week into spring...no way to super this so I need to split it soon.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

https://www.pledgeme.co.nz/investments/364

What a good plan. Already 100k, to help set up a honey factory, wanting 400.

@jamesc- this is cunning 

Did you read it All?? 

looks like they are one of the buyers of Revolutionary Beekeeping.

Just commenting.

Bored and BNZ has crashed so cant pay some bills..oh well.

1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

https://www.pledgeme.co.nz/investments/364

What a good plan. Already 100k, to help set up a honey factory, wanting 400.

@jamesc- this is cunning 

wetex kang reads like a fascinating guy. Mates with Tame Iti - and in business with him

First chinese candidate for the maori party beekeeper pharmacist etc.

second time crowd funding for bees too - first time was my beehive limited. Smart to get other people to pay to get your business up and running i guess

Edited by tommy dave

6 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

Smart to get other people to pay to get your business up and running i guess

And hopefully capable enough to meet your subsequent obligations !

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, fieldbee said:

Did you read it All?? 

looks like they are one of the buyers of Revolutionary Beekeeping.

Just commenting.

Bored and BNZ has crashed so cant pay some bills..oh well.

The guy has limited experience. And teaching new beeks. Imagine funding your business plan via pledges... Think he got his bees via funding also. 

We don't need another start up, people need to buy honey from existing beekeepers. A charmer

1 hour ago, tommy dave said:

wetex kang reads like a fascinating guy. Mates with Tame Iti - and in business with him

First chinese candidate for the maori party beekeeper pharmacist etc.

second time crowd funding for bees too - first time was my beehive limited. Smart to get other people to pay to get your business up and running i guess

No

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Calling an introduction to hobby beekeeping 8 lesson course as an adequate training and then calling himself a commercial four months later really gets to the heart of the arrogance of the fellow, and shows the core problems in the industry, never mind the simpletons pledging money to fund it all.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

Calling an introduction to hobby beekeeping 8 lesson course as an adequate training and then calling himself a commercial four months later really gets to the heart of the arrogance of the fellow, and shows the core problems in the industry, never mind the simpletons pledging money to fund it all.

Well done on finding all the information. 

Many skim read and fail to notice detail. 

Imagine if I took a beginner course on let's say forestry. Then crowd fund some trees, then the mill. And train the lumber Jack's... 

It's all a nice story. 

And this new company will be appearing in your neck of the woods soon. 

At the start of his second summer, he 'gave' the ABC queens for all the clubs hives - their crop from 8 hives was 118 kg, and just a block up the road a first year with two hive did 90 kg. He continues to sell the rubbish queens, and nucs widely, including Trademe. 

Tanners point - a bit of a contrast to the start of last season with one nuc and many events to learn from  -sunny-warm Sunday looksee -3 hives 3 lively queens laying like wee machines, middle BB frames full of capped brood, so it looks like they are gearing up. The 2 x 2 BB hives had honey being stored. I moved the apiary to a sunnier position in Autumn. The tea towel ‘blankets’ I put over the brood area seemed to have kept the overwinterers cosy, but the Queen in the Mother Hive had laid all her brood above the ‘blanket and the bees were piling honey into the lower box. Interesting. Lots of activity at the hive entrance, very white pollen coming in and pink-red pollen. Doing mite checks etc., and I’m glad they are all alive and well. Onwards with the learning no doubt. 

45 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Imagine if I took a beginner course on let's say forestry. Then crowd fund some trees, then the mill. And train the lumber Jack's... 

It's all a nice story. 

Well the lumber jacks might end up under a felled tree....the crowd funding proposal is equivalent to china plates piled up high balanced just on an egg cup.

The ABC course is an intro, it’s a good hobbyist introduction, its not an industry qualification.,,,even the 1 year NZQA Apiculture Certificate is just a grounding for apprentices. Then you go and work for people like Maru, Gino, or Alistair or Sailbee or tommy dave or any of the other pros we are lucky to hear from here, for a decade, then you might have the credentials  to start creating your own model...

a fast track venture, a well presented shiny spiel, with a good heart and good intentions, but without shop floor experience and industry training may well be a very risky investment.

The trouble is, people who don’t keep bees may not pick up the lack of depth of experience behind the idea. I do hope investors do get some jars of honey in the mail.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, GoED said:

en you go and work for people like Maru, Gino, or Alistair or Sailbee or tommy dave or any of the other pros we are lucky to 

I'm a hobbyist. Fewer than ten years experience and I've never owned more than fifteen hives, not sold honey :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sailabee said:

The beekeeping is relatively easy. Young queens, plenty of feed, varroa medicine of your choice ..... and then just keep piling them 'filing cabinet boxes' on.  Nothing to it.

The tricky part is the marketing, so it might well be that the new breed of Beekeeper is firstly a marketer ...... a money man  with the gift of the gab to get out there and convince people to buy what his Bee keeper's  produce.

@jamesctherein lies our problem

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, jamesc said:

The beekeeping is relatively easy. Young queens, plenty of feed, varroa medicine of your choice ..... and then just keep piling them 'filing cabinet boxes' on.  Nothing to it.

The tricky part is the marketing, so it might well be that the new breed of Beekeeper is firstly a marketer ...... a money man  with the gift of the gab to get out there and convince people to buy what his Bee keeper's  produce.

Not that easy, where did half of your bees go? And harvesting not easy. Tricky part is making good decisions at the right time. And having to be flexible as each season we react to weather and the outcomes of prior choices. 

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Not that easy, where did half of your bees go? And harvesting not easy. Tricky part is making good decisions at the right time. And having to be flexible as each season we react to weather and the outcomes of prior choices. 

Not sure where the bees went  Gino ..... I'll tell you when I find them.

And of course, you are right. The secret to success is attention to detail ..... to the small things like Varroa testing, that then feeds into the big picture. The other thing I follow these days is the long range weather and have opportunities that can advantage the predictions. 

One also needs optimism, passion and plenty of stamina .... when the going gets tough , the tough get going. Or something like that.

The other thing I always keep in mind is that at the end of the day , win or loose it really does'nt matter. Life is a game and every one who finishes is a winner.

27 minutes ago, Bron said:

@jamesctherein lies our problem

Oh there you are Bron ..... hows Bubs ?

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Life is a game and every one who finishes is a winner.

You got that right and an add on would be

"It aint over till its over, and it aint over." 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

Oh there you are Bron ..... hows Bubs ?

Always here, lurking! 

Riley the Wrecker is a grumpy wee troll at present. She had her 15 month immunisations and poor wee soul was a bit beside herself. I would have been too. Four shots in four limbs, ouch. Pretty happy that she’s had the 1st MMR though, current situation considered. She’s hanging out here or at hers at present as we’ve had the measles pass through. Dales not taking any chances.

Theres also teeth popping up at the same time so it’s pretty well a double whammy. She’s also a bit miffed that Nanny & Gruff are not home and at her beck & call on fine days cos’ someone’s gotta work in this establishment!

Shes generally a happy humbug and just like her mother to concerned she’ll miss something to sleep!

Last shot is of my mum. The four generations hang out quite a bit.

EE389A25-82E5-4A8D-9B78-7438A0ABE4DB.jpeg

25D412C6-1E0B-4948-A38D-D8563F2D5146.jpeg

08FE9312-D2A8-4485-90BB-4C83CEF94A5C.jpeg

Edited by Bron
  • Like 10

There was a post on one of NZ beekeeping pages on FB,warning not to do business with this guy featured in that above link,obviously someone had a bad experience..Tuakau area if i remember right.

24 minutes ago, Phil46 said:

There was a post on one of NZ beekeeping pages on FB,warning not to do business with this guy featured in that above link,obviously someone had a bad experience..Tuakau area if i remember right.

His ad is on my Facebook feed. He is combing far and wide for money . Glossy ad too. Almost believable 😳

4 minutes ago, M4tt said:

His ad is on my Facebook feed. He is combing far and wide for money . Glossy ad too. Almost believable 😳

What i had read,sounded like a deal to do with hives on a property went sour .

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Phil46 said:

Yep. I had to deal with both sides of that one. Basically an access issue about a dodgy bridge, the complainant's Facebook feed still features a smiling pic of hives and the other guy's ute in the foreground

On 6/09/2019 at 7:22 AM, GoED said:

The ABC course is an intro, it’s a good hobbyist introduction, its not an industry qualification.,,,even the 1 year NZQA Apiculture Certificate is just a grounding for apprentices. Then you go and work for people like Maru, Gino, or Alistair or Sailbee or tommy dave or any of the other pros we are lucky to hear from here, for a decade, then you might have the credentials  to start creating your own model...

I'm an unabashed hobby beek like Tommy Dave. I am definitely not really fit to carry the smoker of the likes of Alastair, and I am well aware of the huge chasm from me to those who have earned their living working fulltime for decades, and who did 'apprenticeships with as good as there was in the industry at the time.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 7:22 AM, GoED said:

The ABC course is an intro, it’s a good hobbyist introduction

ABC have some good tutors.  It's v important for beginners to find a good club and attend.

I spoke at the ABC AGM a few weeks ago.  Then the next day took a tutorial on making top splits.