Trevor Gillbanks

September 2019 Apiary Diary

4 hours ago, ChrisM said:

Please can you expand on this. Some time ago I went to a Waikato NZB day where MG gave a talk about preliminary results of heat treatment of empty brood in a warmer than normal hot room. Are you referring to the same thing? Was there a publication of the final results?

I don't know if the results were published or not - but yes, same thing. Heating combs at 50deg C for 90 mins reduced pathogen loads and meant more brood and increased numbers compared to reusing the combs without heating.

Last time I heated a box of combs, it worked well when reusing them - but since my wife isn't away like last time, I cant dismantle the oven to jam in a dozen or so  (need to watch temp carefully!) - so the combs went on a fire pile

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This arvo , amongst other things , I went through an apiary of 6 hives .

Hive number one is always calm . 3/10. That’s why I always start at that end . 

Its always really cool to find a mother daughter combo, and in the last frame I pulled too. They sat together long enough for a rough photo , before I marked the beautiful stripey daughter green . 

9ECB8EB3-5525-4AD7-AF6D-1B5BC7789925.jpeg

Next it was onto hive 2 and 3 . They too are calm at 3/10 and a pleasure to work. 

Hive 4 had a newly emerged supercedure cell , so it got closed up .

Hive 5 , usually a nasty 8/10 was a calm 4/10 as I popped the lid . On the first frame I pulled , there was a beautiful new laying queen . Mamma was nowhere to be found .

Hive 6 is a mongrel of a thing . Not only is it an 8/10, but it’s also a strong three 3/4 box high full of nasty bees .

To my surprise , as I popped the lid and looked in the unused top feeder , there was a new laying unmarked queen I had not seen before , so I marker her green and put her back in amongst the bees on the frames of the top box , and proceeded to work the hive . 

They passed the temperament test at 5/10.

Some days are funny like that . It’s been a funny winter . I’ve been finding newly mated winter queens all the way through 

• Like 4

Oh Yes .... I like those Tiger queens. They just look so mean !

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Oh Yes .... I like those Tiger queens. They just look so mean !

She’s quiet as a church mouse 😉

Uh Huh ..... they just seem to have that  'je ne sais crois' ..... acrobats and performers !

@Markypoo

I always leave my brassicas to flower .

The bees love them .

I use a lot of mustard as a cover crop but it never gets dug in green now .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

@Markypoo

I always leave my brassicas to flower .

The bees love them .

I use a lot of mustard as a cover crop but it never gets dug in green now .

I’m trying to get some crimson clover going now. I remember @Rashika mentioning it a few years ago . Grows to a metre tall apparently

Edited by Daley
Triplicate fixed :)
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Now why did repeat three times I wonder 

Its easy to have things go strange when you post from a phone or tablet

12 hours ago, Markypoo said:

Was going to pull out the winter kale crop that is going to seed, but my girls have found it and giving it a good working over so left it in place. 

Beekeeping is not good for immaculate tidy gardens. I feel guilty pulling out weeds that are flowering now, and my choices of plants are all assessed for usefullness rather than aesthetics.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I had this thought today while burning more diesel .....

There seems to be quite a lot of operations coming out of the woodwork who have had some high winter losses , who have used a variety of winter treatements ..... so is there another underlying common denomina that has affected us rather than Varroa  ...... Nosema ......cororapa ....?   

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I had this thought today while burning more diesel .....

There seems to be quite a lot of operations coming out of the woodwork who have had some high winter losses , who have used a variety of winter treatements ..... so is there another underlying common denomina that has affected us rather than Varroa  ...... Nosema ......cororapa ....?   

Disillusion,   depression ,  fatalism,   ennui .

But I also should add I have heard some really good news honey stories lately

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Disillusion,   depression ,  fatalism,   ennui .

But I also should add I have heard some really good news honey stories lately

care to share the good news ?

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

care to share the good news ?

A friend with retail health business has a branch selling honey overseas and he said it is doing very well and not just manuka .

Unfortunately for production beeks the low price is good for him .

I think manuka is the main seller but other honeys are being introduced through the manuka door .

• Like 2

Come back from a month away. Checked hives yesterday. Found a cell I was 90% sure was AFB.

I'm now 100% sure. Great start to the season 

IMG-20190930-WA0003.jpeg

• Sad 7

2 hours ago, BRB said:

Come back from a month away. Checked hives yesterday. Found a cell I was 90% sure was AFB.

IMG-20190930-WA0003.jpeg

Sorry to hear but well  done spotting it. 

3 hours ago, BRB said:

IMG-20190930-WA0003.jpeg

congratulations is it a boy or a girl

13 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

congratulations is it a boy or a girl

Haha that's what my Wife asked when I sent her the pic. I couldn't upload the ropey pic,(too large) so I put up the test...

1 hour ago, john berry said:

The only thing worse than finding an AFB is not finding it.  Well done.

I agree. But it dosen't make finding it any easier to swallow. 

41 minutes ago, BRB said:

I agree. But it dosen't make finding it any easier to swallow. 

Yeh it must be gutting .

Console yourself with a good pat on the back for having a great eye 😊

On 28/09/2019 at 3:28 PM, JohnF said:

I don't know if the results were published or not - but yes, same thing. Heating combs at 50deg C for 90 mins reduced pathogen loads and meant more brood and increased numbers compared to reusing the combs without heating.

Last time I heated a box of combs, it worked well when reusing them - but since my wife isn't away like last time, I cant dismantle the oven to jam in a dozen or so  (need to watch temp carefully!) - so the combs went on a fire pile

A british beekeeping book I've been shown, 'Beekeeping, a seasonal guide' by Ron Brown (OBE) 1985 shows how to refresh old empty dry comb in the off season with galacial acetic acid. So far, this seems very effective; following the instructions in the book. It would be interesting to compare efficacy of these different approaches, but the 50C approach is not a hobbiest option but very convenient for those who have hot rooms.

• Good Info 1