Philbee

What is Low Grade Honey

Posted (edited)

What on earth is this industry doing by using the term "Low" or "lower" grade Honey?

Since when has Honey been subject to a grading system?

Other than color

Edited by Philbee
  • Agree 2

Since Manuka madness took over I suspect., ... I produce top notch honey.. some of it “high grade” some of it top notch.. 

everyone that consumes my “top notch” honeydew raves about its strong earthy flavour. 

Smarter marketing and thinking outside the box will see “low grade honey” lifted to where it belongs I recon. 

• Like 2

LOL, just started getting my own "low grade honey" onto some shop shelves. The reaction has been very positive indeed, and repeat orders coming in.

And i think it's a very nice honey too, course, I'm biased 🙂.

• Like 3

So agree with your post @Philbee I’ve said the same thing before.

We are doing a real disservice to our non Manuka honeys and our Manuka that doesn’t have high activity.

The general public are starting to see non Manuka as low grade honey it’s the most ridiculous thing to do and will only harm our industry more.

Maybe we should start to call it out when we hear it 

I think if I looked back at some posts I could be guilty of falling into the trap of calling it low grade.

The question used to be how much manuka you could put in your light amber pack before people started to complain.

It doesn't help these days that people are advertising honey with things like no added sugar or water, produced using organic principles, raw, unprocessed et cetera. Even the word pure suggest that other people's honey isn't quite so pure. I even get people questioning me on whether my comb honey is raw and unprocessed.

I sometimes feel like putting up a sign saying my honey contains no extra bulls--t.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Haha 1

It appears that the key word 'activity' was left out in the sentence, thus distorting the meaning (as in high grade activity manuka or lower grade activity manuka) but it does feel like references to 'low grade' honey has been jumped at by those who seek to profit or by those who simply haven't thought through the implications of this misnomer.    Lower grade also can mean price grade and perhaps we have all said that in the past as we know what WE mean by it.  Perhaps as frazzled said we must be vigilant and refer to the honeys that we have available as 'excellent honeydew, the best kamahi, fabulous bush blend ...'  whilst that might sound a little simplistic our own narrative must back up the product. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, Philbee said:

What on earth is this industry doing by using the term "Low" or "lower" grade Honey?

Since when has Honey been subject to a grading system?

Other than color

"low grade" has always existed. its whatever gets bottom dollar price.

doesn't mean its not good honey. its not a marketing term that i'm aware of. just beek speak for low price honey.

5 hours ago, tristan said:

"low grade" has always existed. its whatever gets bottom dollar price.

doesn't mean its not good honey. its not a marketing term that i'm aware of. just beek speak for low price honey.

Trouble is that NZ now has a minority Volume Honey that is being term "High" grade and Majority volume Honey that is termed "Low" Grade

This is a first class ticket to peasantsville.

• Agree 4

17 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Trouble is that NZ now has a minority Volume Honey that is being term "High" grade and Majority volume Honey that is termed "Low" Grade

This is a first class ticket to peasantsville.

it shouldn't be. of course thats due to over promoting manuka and not promoting anything else.

low grade used to only the cheapest, which was muiltflora. eg to much of a mix to call it clover.

most other honeys where "speciality honey", the clover, pohutukawa, rata, etc.

then there is the Bush or Wildflower "we don't know what it is" honey.

its just a bit of marketing needed. 

30 yrs ago low grade honey was manuka . LOL

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

20 yrs ago we sold Manuka for $4.70. Bush honey at the time was about $2.80.

We should be talking "types" of Honeys not grades of Honey.

Its a matter of Horses for courses.

We have premium medicinal type Honeys and Premium Table type Honeys with some cross overs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Well I have to ask what makes a "Premium" honey ? 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, yesbut said:

Well I have to ask what makes a "Premium" honey ? 

The environment and systems used to produce it

I'm thinking that with all this talk of low priced honey Philbee is just starting to take his honey off and getting a bit disappointed at the reward for his labour .... ?

I can't find the right emoji

Edited by yesbut

To me low grade honey is honey that has c ome out of the wax melter and sold to the bakers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Bighands said:

To me low grade honey is honey that has c ome out of the wax melter and sold to the bakers.

I sat a large jar of honey in the window to turn liquid.

It now has a burnt taste and is only used in making museli  or baking .

It does not take much heat to ruin honey .

3 hours ago, Bighands said:

Yes and we now have a situation where the majority of NZ Honey is as such.

The worst part about it is that its the industry participants who themselves have facilitated this travesty.

Even  worse than selling Primary Industry  breeding stock overseas.

@Philbee Are you of the opinion then that most honey on shop shelves and farmers market stalls is poor quality ?  I'm having trouble understanding your comment above.

4 hours ago, yesbut said:

@Philbee Are you of the opinion then that most honey on shop shelves and farmers market stalls is poor quality ?  I'm having trouble understanding your comment above.

No way

My opinion is that we now have a situation where any Honey that is not premium numbers  Manuka  (High Grade) is being referred to as Low grade Honey.

This is a perception issue and one that needs to be nipped in the bud.

The Tail is wagging the dog in some regards here.

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Philbee said:

No way

My opinion is that we now have a situation where any Honey that is not premium numbers  Manuka  (High Grade) is being referred to as Low grade Honey.

This is a perception issue and one that needs to be nipped in the bud.

The Tail is wagging the dog in some regards here.

Marketing spin  .... what can you say?  And when you are being offered $3.50 for good kamahi its utterly unsustainable isn't it but apparently it's 'low grade' honey and they are doing us a massive favour by taking it off our hands ..... actually its unsustainable for them too but that is another story. 🤔

7 hours ago, Chrisdub said:

Marketing spin  .... what can you say?  And when you are being offered $3.50 for good kamahi its utterly unsustainable isn't it but apparently it's 'low grade' honey and they are doing us a massive favour by taking it off our hands ..... actually its unsustainable for them too but that is another story. 🤔

is it pure kamahi or does it have Quintinia mixed with it,

10 hours ago, Bighands said:

is it pure kamahi or does it have Quintinia mixed with it,

We are able to get pure kamahi up here .

I wonder how far down the coast the big stands of quintina start , karamea ?