Jump to content
tristan

snapped hivetool

Recommended Posts

boys snapped another one. this is the 2nd thats snapped in 3.

@Ecrotek @Ceracell not sure who we bought them from.

 

image001.thumb.jpg.d7738907ef183be854bcea1c16bea5a2.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to learn how to forge your own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mitre 10 mega, builder's pry bar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stainless steel tools are too brittle. Get a real steel one. Not a cheap Chinese knock off. Pry bars are good for hobbyists with a few hives. But if you are carrying a tool in your hand all day it needs to fit your hand size , be light and strong. And you need to love that tool so you dont lose it. Mines over 20 years old. I polish it up better than my ute. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Mitre 10 mega, builder's pry bar

the breakage is not from excessive use. its material failure. its way to hard, wrong temper, possibly work hardened from manufacturing and not being annealed.

21 minutes ago, john berry said:

You need to learn how to forge your own.

i have enough tools as it is without adding a forge etc to it.

problem is i have to many hats to wear as it is. got some tig welding on the extractor to do tomorrow to fix a manufactures design flaw.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, tristan said:

the breakage is not from excessive use. its material failure. its way to hard, wrong temper, possibly work hardened from manufacturing and not being annealed.

i have enough tools as it is without adding a forge etc to it.

problem is i have to many hats to wear as it is. got some tig welding on the extractor to do tomorrow to fix a manufactures design flaw.

 

I like the wrecking bar with a 90 deg turn up at the end

The turn up is perfect for hitting with the palm of your hand

I grind a shallower point on the other end.

If I round uped all my sited Id probably find 100 hive tools

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes the stainless Chinese ones will break i've broken a few of them, probably lucky i didn't injure myself in the process. I don't use those ones with a hook i use the ones Phil described, and for the same reason. Try not to work them too hard now, pushing down and they break it would be pretty easy to take a decent chunk out of your arm.
 

Edited by Alastair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not (properly) annealed after hardening

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alastair said:

It would be pretty easy to take a decent chunk out of your arm.
 

 

I ran my thumb across the end of the first hive tool I encountered. 

 

Pretty sure you could have shaved with that things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True also!! I mostly work without gloves and run a bit of sandpaper over the edge of those ones just to smooth them down.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Philbee said:

I like the wrecking bar with a 90 deg turn up at the end

And I like them for cleaning up the rebate. Much better than the flat things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my weapon of choice . It does everything , from ecrotec .

They also sell one similar , called ‘jack the ripper ‘ , which for  me is too small , and too sharp . It’ll slit your rists if you pick it up the wrong  way . It is also too short to get good leverage 

 

Whereas this one is longer . 

B9B9BFB7-6C21-4E99-A791-FFF0CE2DD380.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Philbee said:

 

If I round uped all my sited Id probably find 100 hive tools

Me too. 

When I first started I opened an really nasty hive. They got into my veil (first, not the last time I forgot to do it up) 

Naturally  I ran screaming off into the bush. When I composed myself and went back to put the hive back togeather I couldn’t find the hive tool. I must have dropped it into the hive. Well, I wasn’t going to take them on again that day so I didn’t look too hard for it. 

A while later my supervisor was going to come with me to that site, I thought I’d better get in there and retrieve that hive tool before she saw how useless I was. 

I Opened hive and they attacked again and got into my hood again. Cue more running and screaming. When I stopped running I looked down and found my missing hive tool !! 🤣🥴

Edited by nikki watts
  • Haha 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hiya Tristan - that looks like our Maxant China Type hive tool.  This is a Chinese made tool that we recommend for hobbyists as it's cheap and is better suited for casual use.  We have a range of hive tools that are better suited for commercial beekeepers (made in Italy or Taiwan) that are designed for every day, heavy duty work.  See the links below a few of the better suited alternatives. :)

 

Stronger counterpart for the red tool: https://www.ecrotek.co.nz/product/maxant-ebs-s-s-10-hive-tool-w-hook

Heavy Duty 10" Blue Kelly Type: https://www.ecrotek.co.nz/product/kelly-type-mannlake-10-hive-tool-blue

9" Kelly Type: https://www.ecrotek.co.nz/product/s-steel-med-kelly-type-9-hive-tool

 

^Willow

 

  • Like 2
  • Good Info 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Me too. 

When I first started I opened an really nasty hive. They got into my veil (first, not the last time I forgot to do it up) 

Naturally  I ran screaming off into the bush. When I composed myself and went back to put the hive back togeather I couldn’t find the hive tool. I must have dropped it into the hive. Well, I wasn’t going to take them on again that day so I didn’t look too hard for it. 

A while later my supervisor was going to come with me to that site, I thought I’d better get in there and retrieve that hive tool before she saw how useless I was. 

I Opened hive and they attacked again and got into my hood again. Cue more running and screaming. When I stopped running I looked down and found my missing hive tool !! 🤣🥴

my son has just brought himself a metal detector.

its for gold but i am going to get him to run round the property to find all our lost stuff.

unfortunately anything thats been outside for a while here becomes an iron ore deposit pretty fast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ecrotek Team said:

Hiya Tristan - that looks like our Maxant China Type hive tool.  This is a Chinese made tool that we recommend for hobbyists as it's cheap and is better suited for casual use.  We have a range of hive tools that are better suited for commercial beekeepers (made in Italy or Taiwan) that are designed for every day, heavy duty work.  See the links below a few of the better suited alternatives. :)

 

Stronger counterpart for the red tool: https://www.ecrotek.co.nz/product/maxant-ebs-s-s-10-hive-tool-w-hook

Heavy Duty 10" Blue Kelly Type: https://www.ecrotek.co.nz/product/kelly-type-mannlake-10-hive-tool-blue

9" Kelly Type: https://www.ecrotek.co.nz/product/s-steel-med-kelly-type-9-hive-tool

 

^Willow

 

 

with the way it broke and light use it was under, its not even fit for hobbyist.

some day someone will cut their hand open when it breaks.

if it broke in half, that could be excessive use or a fatigue issue. but to shatter into 3 bits is a material issue. its not the sort of failure that lots of use will cause.

so it can very easily happen to hobbyists as well.

 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ecrotek Team said:

Hiya Tristan - that looks like our Maxant China Type hive tool.  This is a Chinese made tool that we recommend for hobbyists as it's cheap and is better suited for casual use. 

i've got a couple of these cheapies, always really careful with them as they feel like they're going to break... what's the liability risk of selling something known to be not fit for purpose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, M4tt said:

This is my weapon of choice . It does everything , from ecrotec .

They also sell one similar , called ‘jack the ripper ‘ , which for  me is too small , and too sharp . It’ll slit your rists if you pick it up the wrong  way . It is also too short to get good leverage 

 

Whereas this one is longer . 

B9B9BFB7-6C21-4E99-A791-FFF0CE2DD380.jpeg

 

That’s the one! It opens fingers and hands with ease, and cuts gush for ages. Top stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mann Lake make a nice hive tool . File the chiselpoint off and it will last a lifetime, or until you loose it. 

As we all know, Chinese gear is cheap for a reason, which begs the question of how the heck did they get their spacecraft into orbit ?

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Mann Lake make a nice hive tool . File the chiselpoint off and it will last a lifetime, or until you loose it. 

As we all know, Chinese gear is cheap for a reason, which begs the question of how the heck did they get their spacecraft into orbit ?

 

They fired up 11... one made it

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They can make good stuff when they want to. Practically every 'western' carmaker is in joint ventures there, Chinese co Geeling  own Volvo, two of my three BMW bikes were made there. Their car out put for the last decade has exceeded that of US & Japan combined.

  • Agree 2
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the Chinese hive tools are the very ones that used to be sold at a far higher price when there was only one local Auck supplier - identical size, outline and weight. Truth is, I have only ever heard of them break with a man using them, so perhaps women just use them in a different way, and we all manage to get our hives open.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha, Weve done this too 2 years ago in the same places it snapped.  But not sure who we got it off either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...