7 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Who did all the lifting when it was that much .

I have read about historical very high amounts.

And this was before hiab trucks .

Himself & Daley!

• Haha 1
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah yes, "We're going to buy Greenland, and Mexico is going to pay for it"!🤣🤣🤣

It's about time to raise the point again that all the MPI standards and mumbo jumbo may have an effect on the quality of medicinal honey, but have no effect at all on honey taken by mouth.  Certainly,

I'm roaring with laughter and shakin' my head .....  for sure there's a dollar to be made with the bees, somtimes , if you've got the perseverance to stick with it for several generations ..... but gu

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

What on earth do you do with all your honey .?

Give it to friends and family and made honey mead. A lot is left on the hive now a days as winter feed. A hive building up on its in stores do a lot better than one which builds up of sugar feeding in my experience. Sometimes a lot of extracted honey just goes to waste by just sitting there and crystallising and gets cleaned out for new stock to come in. I used to sell a little bit early on when I was close to 50 hives though. Now the hive numbers have reduced a lot and I am happy to just keep bees. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jose Thayil said:

The highest I get from a hive was 176kgs. This was in 2007 or 2008 and the hive had a Carniolan Queen which was bought from daykel apiaries at the time. I have had other hives in the 140 to 160 range a few times 

Glad you said that because I wanted to boast about my best ever but based on the tone of the thread i was scared to say because didn't think anyone would believe it. Years ago I had a hive in my North Shore suburban back yard that was a 2 queener, it was an italian swarm and a pure black carniolan swarm that I combined into a 2 queener. Super strong but i somehow managed to stop it swarming, took box after box of honey off it, weighed the extracted honey and had it verified by my (then) wife, a total of bang on 185 kg's for the season. 

About that time I remember going to the Auckland Bee Club and a guy gave a talk about his methods and mentioned he got around 100 kg's average, nobody in the audience batted an eyelid because that was very obtainable then, in town.

At the other extreme, a friend of mine worked for a corporate last season and told me they averaged 9 kg's per hive. Although, it was manuka so still might have paid the bills.

• Like 2

I have certainly done 100+ kg on the Plains and in an urban environment.  But certainly not 100kg+ every year on the Plains - you need to be slap bang on a really good nectar crop. And it is getting harder with dairy expansion.  There is certainly more mixed farming this year, but sheep pasture I note has very few weeds in it and is intensely monitored. The last two summers have been extremely hot, so this is conducive to grains and cereal production.  Also this year, there seems to be a lot of beans and pea cropping;   Out this way the local council for safety encourage farmers to mow the roadsides. So all in all there are becoming less and less floral sources.  The local council certainly does encourage native plantings along waterways. 

In an urban environment it is very easy to achieve 100 kg+, but that is only if there are floral sources.  More and more we are seeing concrete jungles with very little variety in floral sources and if there are planting they are often mass plantings of easy care plants.  Also, not everyone is interested in gardening and with high mortgages, not all have time to garden. 

The generalist statements, alleged above, by a tutor can be very misleading for beginners and can in turn lead to a multitude of problems. 

• Like 1

With a few people actually saying large crops are achievable - and they certainly are given the right circumstances (the roulette wheel ...) its a bit of a moot point given the lack of real selling/buying right now.   150 kg at $1.50 per kg might cover some costs but not enough in this day and age.   Its a hard one with the season on the cusp and what do we do with yet more honey that we have to store under RMP compliance to ensure that it is fully exportable, at some time, perhaps.    Talk about actively not wanting to produce a honey crop whilst maintaining bee health and bee stocks!    Any positive stories, anyone?