stratospheric warming

13 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Some how we have to learn to reduce ..... 

As long as human status is inextricably linked to wealth land fills will continue to fill and consumers will unreasonably consume.

It is the unfortunate side affect of increasing secularism in a lot of societies.

Once being a good god fearing person gave one  enough prestige .

I am an atheist and I try to live a materially simple life .

The media calls people like us loosers.

• Agree 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Climate change is not a real big issue for me. It is what it is and we'll have to learn to live and adapt, or not   What is a big issue is the amount of waste we as a household produce and no one

The climate has always been changing, just ask the Woolly mammoth. Most species can adjust to a warming or cooling planet but some will not, it has always been that way. Perhaps the biggest

Was it on a rata or a lophomyrtus? I think NZ govt should spend some many millions on big factories to process and recycle waste. It should be a national service , like roads and hospitals

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Climate change is not a real big issue for me. It is what it is and we'll have to learn to live and adapt, or not 

What is a big issue is the amount of waste we as a household produce and no one seems to have a workable plan on how to reduce every thing  ...... the rubbish bin of empty plastic and glass jars by the kitchen window. The bags of plastic baleage wrap, netting and string , the drums of waste oil, all those little bit's of plastic that one sees scattered along the roads, the dark haze over cities on a warm day .....the endless trips in cars and trucks to geta bottle of milk or a pack of smokes ..... the list goes on.

Some how we have to learn to reduce ..... 

I guess I’m quite proud of the Waipa District council. 

We now have full recycling of plastics 1 to 7 , cardboard , tin and glass . 

We have recycled bale wrap for a few years now. 

I expect there are households that don’t follow the rules , but on the whole, there are a lot of 200 litre wheelie bins out on the roadside every 2nd week, which is a big push in the right direction. 

You could do yourself a favour and throw the smokes away , then you’d really be able to taste the green tea properly, which if you could, you’d probably go back to the doctor ?

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, M4tt said:

I guess I’m quite proud of the Waipa District council. 

We now have full recycling of plastics 1 to 7 , cardboard , tin and glass . 

We have recycled bale wrap for a few years now. 

I expect there are households that don’t follow the rules , but on the whole, there are a lot of 200 litre wheelie bins out on the roadside every 2nd week, which is a big push in the right direction. 

You could do yourself a favour and throw the smokes away , then you’d really be able to taste the green tea properly, which if you could, you’d probably go back to the doctor ?

@M4tt But what is happening to all the material collected.  Palmerston North has a mountain of plastics that no one wants to recycle.

I would like a cleaner, greener, waste free world.  But I am not into global warming.

Climate change is the new words for Global warming, because all the alarmists have come to realise that all the predictions that they made was garbage.

The Climate has always changed and it always will.

Consensus of opinion is not good science, otherwise Christopher Columbus would have died when he said off the edge of the flat earth.

What happened with Al Gore's prediction that Florida would be underwater by 2010 (or thereabouts)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
9 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

@M4tt But what is happening to all the material collected.  Palmerston North has a mountain of plastics that no one wants to recycle.

I would like a cleaner, greener, waste free world.  But I am not into global warming.

Climate change is the new words for Global warming, because all the alarmists have come to realise that all the predictions that they made was garbage.

The Climate has always changed and it always will.

Consensus of opinion is not good science, otherwise Christopher Columbus would have died when he said off the edge of the flat earth.

What happened with Al Gore's prediction that Florida would be underwater by 2010 (or thereabouts)

I completely agree . Climate change is mostly about one group taking funds of another group , in the name of fixing things . It’s that simple ....

I don’t know what happens to the plastic 

https://www.waipadc.govt.nz/our-services/rubbish-and-recycling/Recycling/Pages/default.aspx

5 minutes ago, M4tt said:

I completely agree . Climate change is mostly about one group taking funds of another group , in the name of fixing things . It’s that simple ....

Yes.  What happens with all the taxes the governments put on emissions.  How does that stop the pollution from China.  Rip off.

• Agree 3
8 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Was it on a rata or a lophomyrtus?

I think NZ govt should spend some many millions on big factories to process and recycle waste.

It should be a national service , like roads and hospitals .

No idea just saw it in newspaper

From DOC?MPI

"Spring conditions are more favourable for the spread of myrtle rust. The likelihood of infection by myrtle rust is much higher when there is a combination of factors including new plant growth, high humidity, water on the plant surface for more than 6 hours and moderate temperatures around 15–25 °C. When a plant becomes infected with myrtle rust, the disease affects the young, soft, actively growing leaves, shoot tips and young stems. To avoid stimulating new growth in warm weather it's recommended that you avoid heavy pruning during warm weather if possible. Instead, prune myrtles only in late autumn and early winter. When pruning, use good hygiene practice, sterilise and disinfect tools and equipment with pure alcohol or methylated spirits to avoid transferring spores."

After seeing photos of the towns where NZ plastic used to end up I’ve taken to putting it in with our general rubbish.

I would rather see it buried in our local landfill than adding to the awful filth and pollution of some far flung place. 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
9 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

After seeing photos of the towns where NZ plastic used to end up I’ve taken to putting it in with our general rubbish.

I would rather see it buried in our local landfill than adding to the awful filth and pollution of some far flung place. 

I agree 100%.  Shipping our problems offshore is not an option in my opinion.

Glass is also a big problem as there is really no recycle plants to handle it.  Vehicle tyres also a big problem.

1 minute ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yes. I saw that a few weeks ago.

Also last night someone is converting all plastics back into oil and other liquid products.

That is real recycling.  I wish them success

And certainly down here crushed waste glass is blended into roading base aggregate. 

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

And certainly down here crushed waste glass is blended into roading base aggregate. 

They tried that up here, but the trials were not successful (last I heard).

Crushing glass is very hard on the crusher and Higgins now have a mountain of glass they cannot use.

Yes it does work well in the roading.  The crushing is the problem.

• Good Info 1

Plastic waste would make excellent fuel for a properly built waste incinerator plant that would also produce electricity. (you know 98% of all oil is used to generate power anyway). Proper industrial filtering of the exhaust and air pollution wont be a problem.

No Point in fiddling around with complicated recycling processes which cause a big load of problems and just waste huge amounts of energy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
8 hours ago, Christi An said:

(you know 98% of all oil is used to generate power anyway).

Well, can you prove that? I quick google search makes it look a highly doubtful claim. In NZ 80% of electric power is non-oil and climbing. Oil is only used to meet peak demand, if our power use was evened out through the day we wouldn't use any oil and there is always research looking into ways to achieve that sort of thing. Worldwide it is very roughly half transport and half electricity. The most efficient power stations in the world convert about  37% of the energy of oil into electricity, the rest is lost. 37% never felt like a good return to me. So talking about waste energy, oil fired power stations waste 63% and always have. Huntly has to reduce output when the temperature of the Waikato river is getting too hot. 

8 hours ago, ChrisM said:

Well, can you prove that? I quick google search makes it look a highly doubtful claim. In NZ 80% of electric power is non-oil and climbing. Oil is only used to meet peak demand, if our power use was evened out through the day we wouldn't use any oil and there is always research looking into ways to achieve that sort of thing. Worldwide it is very roughly half transport and half electricity. The most efficient power stations in the world convert about  37% of the energy of oil into electricity, the rest is lost. 37% never felt like a good return to me. So talking about waste energy, oil fired power stations waste 63% and always have. Huntly has to reduce output when the temperature of the Waikato river is getting too hot. 

what exactly is your car running on? what is the truck that brings the food you eat into the grocery store running on?

• 3 weeks later...