jamesc

stratospheric warming

I see we are in for a period of stratospheric warming.

Does that mean now is the time to plant tomatoes, crank the cell builders, or just hunker down ?

10 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I see we are in for a period of stratospheric warming.

Does that mean now is the time to plant tomatoes, crank the cell builders, or just hunker down ?

If you read further , you’ll see it goes hand in hand with a cold October .

Got a grow tunnel ?

Posted (edited)

Hhmm  the last recorded instance of it was 2010....that could have been the year we had a horrific great frost in October, that literally cut our Nikau in half and killed all the Kawakawa understorey all over town. And the plumbers....

Edited by yesbut
  • Agree 1

Aah ... the plumbers. Yes ,the plumbers are a special breed ..... 

Plumbers team talk day one.

Smoko at 10.00 am

Smoko at 3.00 pm

Don't ever forget that the crap runs down hill .

11 hours ago, yesbut said:

Hhmm  the last recorded instance of it was 2010....that could have been the year we had a horrific great frost in October, that literally cut our Nikau in half and killed all the Kawakawa understorey all over town. And the plumbers....

I am wondering how this will affect us .

Was the frost from the east do you remember ?

We can get hard frosts here but only when the weather is from a very specific direction .

I hope it does not hit nelson. A late frost would be pretty hard on the hort industry.

Of course no one can predict weather , well reliably , so in most cases you carry on and do what you do , and in most cases the predictions were wrong anyway . 

I do remember somewhere  early 2000’s, knee  high maize crops getting hit  by frost . That would have been November . 

@yesbut, kawa kawa is pretty hard to kill!

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Bron said:

@yesbut, kawa kawa is pretty hard to kill!

It cut all the greenery & tips below about 1.8m . Under the canopy !  Enormous shock for the time of year.

Edited by yesbut

Posted (edited)

77F9FA20-7395-49CC-B03D-C726F6692DD6.png

Oh crap .... yet another fire front to deal with .

Like I've said many times before ..... Thank God my honey crop is already in the shed and most of the frms stock headed off down the road shortly.

Time to batten down the hatches and ride her out.

!

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

Good call Yesbut ... the amount of times this winter we have shifted stock in anticipation of a good blow and snow to low levels .... it has fizzed ..... and we have sort of run out of confidence in the prediction ..... but it is always in the back of our minds.

Yesterday was a damn near perfect day and today was pretty nice apart from being a bit breezy at times. Two good days a week is all bees need this time of year and sometimes were lucky to get those two days. Freezing storms certainly don't make the farmers happy but they tend to mix the weather up and you get the good with the bad which can be better than three weeks of drizzle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When Pinatubo erupted it dropped the average temperature by a couple of degrees and we had one of the worst honey crops ever. I have certainly seen brilliant sunsets caused by smoke from Australian bushfires. I don't know how much effect they have but given the effect that one butterfly can have I think it pays to err on the side of caution.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Plenty of snow in the years following Mt Pinatubo erupting, it was great if you were into winter sports or liked watching Glaciers moving forward instead of retreating.

As for this Sudden Stratospheric Warming, I'm surprised I haven't seen or heard the Greenies blaming climate change on it's occurrence. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Plenty of snow in the years following Mt Pinatubo erupting, it was great if you were into winter sports or liked watching Glaciers moving forward instead of retreating.

As for this Sudden Stratospheric Warming, I'm surprised I haven't seen or heard the Greenies blaming climate change on it's occurrence. 

Are  you a Climate Change Denier ?

YES.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Russ said:

YES.

Do you think the climate is not changing .

Or do you think if it is,  it is due to other factors than human behaviour .?

The climate has always been changing, just ask the Woolly mammoth.

Most species can adjust to a warming or cooling planet but some will not, it has always been that way.

Perhaps the biggest dangers to earth are whizzing by us frequently, but one big one will not, and then we will see if all the money we are being parted with now, is going to a worthy cause.

Some of us are old enough to remember the Y2K bug, my VCR worked on 1/1/2000 along with everybody else's, where there are fools there are also a few wealthy people.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3
  • Sad 2

To agree that the climate was changing due to human activity what evidence would you want to see to see?

• Like 1

its all the ford rangers fault. 

• Agree 1

Climate change is not a real big issue for me. It is what it is and we'll have to learn to live and adapt, or not 

What is a big issue is the amount of waste we as a household produce and no one seems to have a workable plan on how to reduce every thing  ...... the rubbish bin of empty plastic and glass jars by the kitchen window. The bags of plastic baleage wrap, netting and string , the drums of waste oil, all those little bit's of plastic that one sees scattered along the roads, the dark haze over cities on a warm day .....the endless trips in cars and trucks to geta bottle of milk or a pack of smokes ..... the list goes on.

Some how we have to learn to reduce ..... 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, Russ said:

YES.

So @Russ, what is going on do you think? Is it all just natural planetary change, cycle, pattern or what? 

I sit fairly in the middle opinion wise but consider mankind the great planet destroyers in all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

ALL i know is Myrtle Rust has been found on the coast and with all this humidity will not take long to spread.So the rata only has a few years left.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bighands said:

ALL i know is Myrtle Rust has been found on the coast and with all this humidity will not take long to spread.So the rata only has a few years left.

In a Nursery @Bighands or at large? Haven't heard much recently about the rust, it seems to have dropped out of sight locally.

Do we know for sure it will hit the Rata?