Jump to content
Wildflower

NZBF Distressed Bees Distressed Beekeeper

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

What are you wanting help with.  1 sec of video shows nothing.

Please explain a bit more.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

 

2 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

What are you wanting help with.  1 sec of video shows nothing.

Please explain a bit more.

 

Sorry couldn't seem to paste video. Chaotic Spring check. Mice eaten. Mould etc. Now have bees in tiny bundles everywhere. Not wanting to go home. Squealing fighting? Doesn't make sense unless I can learn to paste full video.☹

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Wildflower, welcome back . It’s been a while 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

Can't seem to post video

 Chaos. Will try to take a few pix if they don't settle down. This is day 2 and I have tiny clumps of bees everywhere. Last night some were outside in the cold. I removed empty full frame brood box that was a split. It was on the bottom and the bees had moved up to 3/4 box leaving only a little pollen. I gave them the new yellow box with some fresh frames and some that had been spun last season. The boxes are a bit uneven and they are trying to fill gaps, but there are little clumps of bees everywhere that aren't going home!!

Just now, M4tt said:

@Wildflower, welcome back . It’s been a while 

Yep

 That's why I can't paste?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

Can't seem to post video

 Chaos. Will try to take a few pix if they don't settle down. This is day 2 and I have tiny clumps of bees everywhere. Last night some were outside in the cold. I removed empty full frame brood box that was a split. It was on the bottom and the bees had moved up to 3/4 box leaving only a little pollen. I gave them the new yellow box with some fresh frames and some that had been spun last season. The boxes are a bit uneven and they are trying to fill gaps, but there are little clumps of bees everywhere that aren't going home!!

Yep

 That's why I can't paste?

I’ve never seen videos posted here . My guess is the file size is too big and it’s not possible . 

You can post a link to YouTube 

Edited by M4tt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, M4tt said:

I’ve never seen videos posted here . My guess is the file size is too big and it’s not possible 

I will take some pix when I can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wildflower said:

I will take some pix when I can.

👍.

 

Sounds to me like your wets are being robbed .

Its rather early to be adding boxes . Far too early actually 

I see what you’ve done . Replaced the largely empty bottom box with some ‘food’ for them .

 

If that’s what you wanted to do , you should have dropped box number two with all the bees , down to the base , and put the box of ‘food’ on top .

 

That way, you have guard bees down by the entrance to defend the hive .

 

Unfortunately, you have all the food unguarded and it’s a ‘free for all ‘ 

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree looks like robbing but pic not good enough to say with total certainty.

 

Wildflower if you email the video file to me I'll put it on youtube and link it here so everyone can see. My email address is in my profile.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Alastair said:

Agree looks like robbing but pic not good enough to say with total certainty.

 

Wildflower if you email the video file to me I'll put it on youtube and link it here so everyone can see. My email address is in my profile.

Thanks Alistair. I have sent you my video.

21 hours ago, Alastair said:

Agree looks like robbing but pic not good enough to say with total certainty.

 

Wildflower if you email the video file to me I'll put it on youtube and link it here so everyone can see. My email address is in my profile.

 

20190827_062324.jpg

8 hours ago, Wildflower said:

Thanks Alistair. I have sent you my video.

 

20190827_062324.jpg

Went out again last night and more dead bees plus some are still hanging around the joins. Soooo very sad. I will try to quickly put the yellow box in middle before work to see if that helps? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And reduce the entrance

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wildflower i have not recieved the video. Wondering if the file is too big or something?

 

However there are a couple of things that can cause bees to clump like that, I have sometimes seen it done by bees that are in the final stages of dying out from varroa mites. Other thing, if the hive has been robbed and is now totally disrupted and has no food the bees can end up like that also.

 

Thing would be to see if they have any honey stores in the hive, if not that may have been robbed and be starving. If that is the case, remove the bottom box and just leave the top one. Shake all the bees you can into it, and take a comb with a little honey from a different hive and give it to them, right next to a brood comb. If no bees are flying shut the front door completely. Then next evening open the door and see how things are going.

Edited by Alastair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Wildflower said:

Thanks Alistair. I have sent you my video.

 

20190827_062324.jpg

Went out again last night and more dead bees plus some are still hanging around the joins. Soooo very sad. I will try to quickly put the yellow box in middle before work to see if that helps? 

More death last night so flippped box up as fast as I could this morning. COLD!

Blow it. Hope this helps them. Keep fingers crossed for me.

14 hours ago, Alastair said:

Wildflower i have not recieved the video. Wondering if the file is too big or something?

 

However there are a couple of things that can cause bees to clump like that, I have sometimes seen it done by bees that are in the final stages of dying out from varroa mites. Other thing, if the hive has been robbed and is now totally disrupted and has no food the bees can end up like that also.

 

Thing would be to see if they have any honey stores in the hive, if not that may have been robbed and be starving. If that is the case, remove the bottom box and just leave the top one. Shake all the bees you can into it, and take a comb with a little honey from a different hive and give it to them, right next to a brood comb. If no bees are flying shut the front door completely. Then next evening open the door and see how things are going.

Thankyou for listening and thinking about my dilema.

This morning did quick flip of boxes in the dreadful cold. Tonight. Only a few more dead bees, and none hanging around the joins. 

I do think it was robbing, even though neither hive was short of honey. The new stores of fresh sugary frames, unguarded,were too tempting. I am hoping I haven't stripped either hive of too many bees. Will leave them now for a while and let them renaturalise.

If I didn't work  Sundays, I would go to hive days, but unfortunately, I can only learn by my mistakes. 

On 27/08/2019 at 7:31 AM, Wildflower said:

More death last night so flippped box up as fast as I could this morning. COLD!

Blow it. Hope this helps them. Keep fingers crossed for me.

Thankyou for listening and thinking about my dilema.

This morning did quick flip of boxes in the dreadful cold. Tonight. Only a few more dead bees, and none hanging around the joins. 

I do think it was robbing, even though neither hive was short of honey. The new stores of fresh sugary frames, unguarded,were too tempting. I am hoping I haven't stripped either hive of too many bees. Will leave them now for a while and let them renaturalise.

If I didn't work  Sundays, I would go to hive days, but unfortunately, I can only learn by my mistakes. 

More dead bees underneath... makes me question the hive Dr! Sugar drops out of the bottom. Should I try a solid bottom board?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/08/2019 at 7:31 AM, Wildflower said:

More death last night so flippped box up as fast as I could this morning. COLD!

Blow it. Hope this helps them. Keep fingers crossed for me.

Thankyou for listening and thinking about my dilema.

This morning did quick flip of boxes in the dreadful cold. Tonight. Only a few more dead bees, and none hanging around the joins. 

I do think it was robbing, even though neither hive was short of honey. The new stores of fresh sugary frames, unguarded,were too tempting. I am hoping I haven't stripped either hive of too many bees. Will leave them now for a while and let them renaturalise.

If I didn't work  Sundays, I would go to hive days, but unfortunately, I can only learn by my mistakes. 

More dead bees underneath... makes me question the hive Dr! Sugar drops out of the bottom. Should I try a solid bottom board?

And a ton more robbing still going on. Lots of dead bees underneath the hive where the sugar drops out. Do I just let them fight it out!!? Really annoyed with myself. 

32 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

And a ton more robbing still going on. Lots of dead bees underneath the hive where the sugar drops out. Do I just let them fight it out!!? Really annoyed with myself. 

And just saw that Alistaire said remove extra box. Grrr!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where the sugar drops out ?

That in itself sounds like an avoidable issue . 

 

To stop robbing bing like that you’ll need to move the hive . It’s become an easy target 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, M4tt said:

Where the sugar drops out ?

That in itself sounds like an avoidable issue . 

 

To stop robbing bing like that you’ll need to move the hive . It’s become an easy target 

Thanks M4tt and everyone. Sick of being a useless beekeeper. You will hear from.me lots this year! Just broke down hives to teo boxes each. Hive on left has been attacked by mice again and had bad varroa. Thymol strips are on and am about to put mice excluders on again. Don't know how the mice got in?

Fingers crossed I haven't squished the Queens! Lots of dead bees but there is still hope. 🙏  Had to make collage of same pic to reduce size.. Duh! Not a techno whizz either.😁

20190829_151705.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

You will hear from.me lots this year!

That’s what we are here for . 😊

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wildflower said:

Thanks M4tt and everyone. Sick of being a useless beekeeper. You will hear from.me lots this year! Just broke down hives to teo boxes each. Hive on left has been attacked by mice again and had bad varroa. Thymol strips are on and am about to put mice excluders on again. Don't know how the mice got in?

great looking site/apiary. Anyway...

 

bees survived through until the end of winter - check

spotted an issue and asked for advice - check

varroa treatment in - check (although i'm not so sure thymol strips are the bet idea)

 

that list is a big step ahead of many beekeepers i'd consider useless

 

good luck! and keep asking questions/taking pics.

for now, reduce the entrance massively - 1cm x 1cm is plenty.

also, you mentioned sugar dropping out - not sure what you mean by that, but it sounds problematic - a description of your feeding approach would be useful.

 

know any beekeepers nearby who could call in for a look-see?

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hang in there ...keep posting...get a local Beek to take a look-see.....are you open to using something other than thymol at this time....😊

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tommy dave said:

great looking site/apiary. Anyway...

 

bees survived through until the end of winter - check

spotted an issue and asked for advice - check

varroa treatment in - check (although i'm not so sure thymol strips are the bet idea)

 

that list is a big step ahead of many beekeepers i'd consider useless

 

good luck! and keep asking questions/taking pics.

for now, reduce the entrance massively - 1cm x 1cm is plenty.

also, you mentioned sugar dropping out - not sure what you mean by that, but it sounds problematic - a description of your feeding approach would be useful.

 

know any beekeepers nearby who could call in for a look-see?

I am a bit too far away for anyone to help. Although a fellow called meercat came out one year many years ago. 🙂

The thymol strips were made at my bee club ( that I can never get to,blow it! Because I work Sundays) and they were what I had on hand. I will keep an eye on the bees and see if I need to treat again. 

The sugar drop was from the frames I gave them that were spun last season. I was using a hive Dr and the floor is slatted.

I have swapped to a solid floor.

My feeding approach was to leave them with plenty of honey over Winter.

Both hives had heaps left. I was just trying to give them nice frames not aware how sugary they were. 

Some of the honey frames I took off were slightly mouldy and some rock hard. I need to start a new topic on storage....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

Some of the honey frames I took off were slightly mouldy and some rock hard. I need to start a new topic on storage....

 

Any fames that are removed from a hive that has shrunk and has mould and moth damage are put in the freezer.

After a few days I take them out on a sunny day , thaw them out , wax is very brittle when frozen and hose them down .

Sometime the old pollen will hose out .

I then dry them in a warm place . If you are not careful the sun can melt the wax.

I will then either put them back in the freezer or store in a box .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thymol is the wrong choice , I’m afraid, for treatment now. It requires warm to hot daytime temps to encourage vapours to flood the hive . It won’t vapourise in cooler conditions . 

Daytime temps around 30 c is too hot an it’s pretty tough on bees then as well 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Feel like slapping them. It's a nice day,go forage! At least they all went to bed last night. Crazy that the weak hive is robbing the strong one. Or are the bees coming from elsewhere?

3 hours ago, M4tt said:

Stuff about thymol see above.

 

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

 

Feel like slapping them. It's a nice day,go forage! At least they all went to bed last night. Crazy that the weak hive is robbing the strong one. Or are the bees coming from elsewhere?

 

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

That hive activity looks normal today .

Looks like you have fixed the situation .

Give them a weeks peace then go back in for another look 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, M4tt said:

That hive activity looks normal today .

Looks like you have fixed the situation .

Give them a weeks peace then go back in for another look 😊

Will do......As I have been advised to get some different varroa treatment because Thymol needs warmer temps,I rang Ecrotec today to see if they were open weekends? Nope! 

BUT 😁 Yay oh yay. A lady that works there lives near me. Not only is she giving me 4 strips of treatment, she also works her hives on a Saturday and is happy to teach me. She is also doing  Queen rearing this year. Very excited to have some help close by. 😁

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...