Alastair

TIME TO FILL IN THE YELLOW FORM

If you are a registered beekeeper but do not have a DECA, you will have recieved in the mail a yellow form to fill in, called a Certificate Of Inspection (COI).

Every year some beekeepers do not fill it in, which will now bring a financial penalty so I am posting here as a reminder, plus some explanation.

The reason for it is this. - AFB is a serious disease that requires an affected hive be burned if your bees get it. Hives should be regularly inspected to ensure they do not have it, because if they do have it and it kills them, other bees come and steal the honey from the dead hive, which spreads the infection.

If we go back in time, this happened a lot, because some beekeepers did not know how to recognise the disease, so they just watched as their hives died, and the disease was spread to other beekeepers. So a scheme was introduced to train people to recognise and deal with AFB, and once someone has attended this course and passed a written exam, they can become a DECA holder (Disease Elimination Conformity Agreement)

Because in the past some hives were never checked by someone who knew how to recognise AFB, now by law, every hive in NZ must be checked at least once each year by somebody trained, ie, a DECA holder. So for people who have not yet become a DECA holder, you have to get someone who is a DECA holder, to check your hive.

That is what the yellow form is for. It is signed by the DECA holder and is written proof that you have had your bees checked by a DECA holder, and this form once completed must be sent in the return envelope by the end of November.

I should add, that the COI is different from the ADR (Annual Disease Return), which can be completed online and must be filled in by every beekeeper, both DECA holders and non DECA holders. The ADR is a very easy form to fill in, to say if any of your hives had AFB or not, and also if you bought or sold any hives and who to. This has to be done in June.

So simply-

Non DECA holders must get a DECA holder to check their hives for AFB, and fill in, sign, and return the yellow COI form by end of November. DECA holders do not have to fill in a COI form for their own bees.

All beekeepers must complete their ADR, which can be done online, in June.

So for non DECA holders there are two things to do each year, for DECA holders there is one thing to do each year.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 3

Posted (edited)

Which part of the AFB levy order enables fines to be issued ?

I note that there has not been a review by MPI done for quite a few years.  I think the next review is in a  couple of years 

Edited by morporks

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

Every year some beekeepers do not fill it in, which will now bring a financial penalty so I am posting here as a reminder, plus some explanation.

How much is the penalty

Posted (edited)

Not sure if it is defined as a "fine", or as a "penalty", or something else.

What is happening now, is people who do not complete their COI are sent a series of reminders. But if all that fails and the person just won't do it, AP2's have been sent to inspect the hives, and the beekeeper sent a bill for that.

Realise that the AFB PMP have no interest in causing people to have a financial penalty, and in fact make no money out of this. But there have been too many hives never being inspected at all, and an ongoing residual AFB problem in NZ. So the management agency have taken steps to attempt to ensure that every hive is inspected, one way or another.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks is Alistair.

I’ve just finished looking it up as it’s not particularly easy to find and the below might help someone.

To be able to inspect a hive for someone without a DECA, a beekeeper must have had hives for 2 years, done the AFB course, sat and passed the test then applied for and obtained their own DECA and had it for at least a year.

I believe you can get an exemption of sorts on the “had hives for 2 years” bit (presumably by being a beekeeper for an organisation for that duration?).

I’m not sure of the wisdom in getting someone with just 2 years experience to sign off ones hives, but it’s allowed and better than nothing. 

Please point out any inaccuracies in the above!

• Good Info 1

Good info cBank thanks for clarifying that. 👍

For some time now I have felt that there should be just one form and combine the COI and the ADR together and get EVERY beekeepers to state that all hives have been checked for AFB by the beekeeper if he has a DECA or a qualified DECA holder if the beekeeper is new and has not had the experience or training to recognise AFB. This would save all the confusion about who should and who does not need to submit which form and give the AFB authorities a clear picture of who is checking hives!

• Agree 6

On 24/08/2019 at 12:01 PM, Martin Garside said:

For some time now I have felt that there should be just one form and combine the COI and the ADR together and get EVERY beekeepers to state that all hives have been checked for AFB by the beekeeper if he has a DECA or a qualified DECA holder if the beekeeper is new and has not had the experience or training to recognise AFB. This would save all the confusion about who should and who does not need to submit which form and give the AFB authorities a clear picture of who is checking hives!

that's interesting, something I have never thought about. I would have said the opposite to be honest. Reasons are that the online ADR is a huge step forwards, I wouldn't be keen to go back to paper. When I do a CoI inspection for someone, it really ticks me off when their hives numbers and apiaries do not match on the forms. Especially if I'm volunteering and checking the hives a club member for free, they should at least have their act together before calling in favours. I'm not shy mentioning this but it is an eye opener that some people don't keep their apiweb holdings up to date. If it was possible to do the CoI online, then I'd log on to my apiweb portal and I would press a button about doing a CoI. By doing this online away from the site, I would say how many hives I checked and rego of the beekeeper and location. So, there would be no printed form tell me how many they'd like me to say I had looked at. I always inspect them all even if only half of them are on the form. Anyway the online CoI could be something of a cross check and audit that is actually probably more accurate than doing it face to face on the guy's form. I don't need to see his private ADR affairs when I inspect. It doesn't stop the real baddies from being really bad, [nothing does] but we have an online ADR so why not have an online CoI? An online CoI might also lower AFBNPMP running costs as well as give better quality of information.  Aside from this the ADR date is March 31st  for everything that happened over the last year and that coincides wth the levy invoice, whereas the CoI has a long lead time and there isn't much scope for checking hives and inspecting in winter, it really needs to be done in spring rounds. However if hive numbers for the levy were taken on hives in 1st October that might be pretty reasonable so bringing together the dates for the two forms and leviy could be a good thing, but I'd still be keen on the online option. At the end of the day, nobody cares what we think, but it is an interesting subject you've raised.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

On 22/08/2019 at 5:16 PM, morporks said:

Which part of the AFB levy order enables fines to be issued ?

It's here:

Biosecurity (National American Foulbrood Pest Management Plan) Order 1998

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1998/0260/latest/whole.html

Should inspect more often

Biosecurity Act 1993

154N Section 154N offences

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1993/0095/latest/whole.html#DLM4759461

• Good Info 1

Is anyone with a deca available to inspect my single hive in Kawerau.I have completed the AFB recognition and competency test and passed but still require someone to sign off my hive 

for this year.I believe this is a good thing a years beekeeping with an inspection done by a deca holder,helps solidify the learning.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jhah said:

Is anyone with a deca available to inspect my single hive in Kawerau.I have completed the AFB recognition and competency test and passed but still require someone to sign off my hive 

for this year.I believe this is a good thing a years beekeeping with an inspection done by a deca holder,helps solidify the learning.

If you haven't had a response, have a look at this list and make contact with someone near you who can help. 

https://afb.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/2019-Inspector-List-for-COI-edited-final-3.pdf

• Good Info 1