Koiar

What should I do? #queenBee

Hi all,
Amateur beekeeper here and in need of some guidance on what I should do here. I have found my hive with multiple queen cells, no eggs but still has some frames of brood. Is this a sign the queen is being replaced naturally and should I try source and then replace with a caged queen instead? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Multiple queen cells could be an emergency response.. have you worked the colony recently? 

It sounds like they are replacing their queen.

If your hive is strong there’s no need to source a mated Queen let nature take its course and fingers crossed in a few weeks you will have a lovely new queen heading the hive.

On 17/08/2019 at 11:33 PM, Koiar said:

Hi all,
Amateur beekeeper here and in need of some guidance on what I should do here. I have found my hive with multiple queen cells, no eggs but still has some frames of brood. Is this a sign the queen is being replaced naturally and should I try source and then replace with a caged queen instead? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Do you have a photo of the frame with the queen cells please.

Also how strong is the hive.

On 18/08/2019 at 6:44 AM, frazzledfozzle said:

It sounds like they are replacing their queen.

If your hive is strong there’s no need to source a mated Queen let nature take its course and fingers crossed in a few weeks you will have a lovely new queen heading the hive.

you think there will be fertile drones available in Christchurch in 2-3 weeks time?

i agree with trevor, a picture will help figuring out if its emergency cells (i bet it is)

provided it is emergency cells you can either let them do their thing, but i dont see how the virgin queen would get to be mated (a local from chch will be able to tell if theres a chance) or what i would do here is either get a mated queen or just break all cells and merge the hive with another one (after a good inspection).

My laid back beeking way would be to ignore it for three weeks, and have another look when the climate is milder.

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses and apologies for my slow response. 

I have attached a photo of my situation. 

Cheers,

IMG_8185.jpg

• Thanks 1

More than likely emergency cells resulting from the loss of the queen .

Do those bees have enough honey on board ? There should be food stored around that brood 

• Agree 3

Yes, I believe there is enough food.

I dont see any drones around so I dont see how having a virgin queen in the hive would be useful. Should I try hold out until there are caged queens available and replace the virgin?

• Thanks 1

You may not have drones in your hive but there will be drones around 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Koiar said:

Yes, I believe there is enough food.

I dont see any drones around so I dont see how having a virgin queen in the hive would be useful. Should I try hold out until there are caged queens available and replace the virgin?

Let them do what they are doing , then once the new queen is laying , check the brood caps to see if they are worker or drones . You can then deal with it if you need to 

• Agree 1