BeeKindNZ

Help Please - Bee Repellent?

I have a 7 year old grandson with a chronic allergy to bee stings. He has to have an adult with him at all times trained in the use of an epipen. He always ends up in hospital . I know that he’s not alone in having this problem. However I wonder how common it is that he has bees actually pursuing him to sting him? Even in the middle of winter one will appear from nowhere and just follow him and only him. I’m a farmer and I find  this odd. He’s had 8 stings in the past 18 months. He has been for some time undergoing a desensitization programme which so far hasn’t worked very well. He’s just been in hospital for another 2 days this week.

I wonder  if you could please help by suggesting any bee repellent that works and wouldn’t be harmful to a child? Thank you in advance. 

• Sad 2

The colour blue tends to attract bees so avoiding that may help a little bit.. I once had bees on the farm and for a while the bees were attacking  one of the children for no apparent reason. I eventually tracked it down to the parents using apple shampoo which bees hate  and cause any bee that gets close enough to smell it to attack. There may be other shampoos, deodorants soaps et cetera that have the same effect.

I learned about apple shampoo  the hard way and now and never use any scented product.

• Good Info 1

Fume board cologne?

I’ve seen mention of peppermint before, and that comes up repeatedly when googling, though I have no experience with it.

What a horrible problem.

12 hours ago, BeeKindNZ said:

I have a 7 year old grandson with a chronic allergy to bee stings. He has to have an adult with him at all times trained in the use of an epipen. He always ends up in hospital . I know that he’s not alone in having this problem. However I wonder how common it is that he has bees actually pursuing him to sting him? Even in the middle of winter one will appear from nowhere and just follow him and only him. I’m a farmer and I find  this odd. He’s had 8 stings in the past 18 months. He has been for some time undergoing a desensitization programme which so far hasn’t worked very well. He’s just been in hospital for another 2 days this week.

I wonder  if you could please help by suggesting any bee repellent that works and wouldn’t be harmful to a child? Thank you in advance. 

If bees seem to chase and attack your grandson for no particular reason look at what shower products are being used (soaps, shampoos, deoderants) I've seen bees attack randomly to different brands and scents on numerous occasions

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the suggestions! We are quite careful to use non scented washing power, shampoos and soaps. We even make sure there are no optical brighters in the wash (apparently these can attract bees?) And he dresses in dark colours when he’s not in school uniform. I hadn’t heard about peppermint, I’ll have to try that on myself first and hang around some bees! 

Edited by BeeKindNZ

11 minutes ago, BeeKindNZ said:

And he dresses in dark colours when

Hmmmmmmnnnn , dark colours stand out to bees more than light ones....you don't see many black beesuits

I’d used to take two dogs for a walk very close by an apiary, the dark brown labrador was frequently attacked or chased by bees if she wandered to close to a hive but the white dog was left alone.

This patent suggests using teatree oil and benzaldehyde (almond extract) as a topical bee repellent. You might want to research it a bit more before trying it though.

Beekeepers use the product 'Bee Quick" when trying to get bees our of their suppers before harvest. This may assist in keeping bees away!

"Beequick" is at least partly Almond extract which I think would be worth a try. Not that unpleasant and I would think it would only need to be a smear or two on exposed skin.

5 hours ago, Jacob said:

This patent suggests using teatree oil and benzaldehyde (almond extract) as a topical bee repellent. You might want to research it a bit more before trying it though.

wear benzaldehyde and you,ll keep everyone away

Benzaldehyde burns both figuratively and literally. I would never apply to exposed skin and it would be pretty doubtful on clothing as well.

I didn't realise that @john berry. I wonder if Almond oil would be effective? What about the liquid smoke type product? I haven't used it so far.

Maybe avoid bananas: supposed to make bees aggressive, apparently.

On 20/08/2019 at 9:43 PM, Ian Openshaw said:

Maybe avoid bananas: supposed to make bees aggressive, apparently.

Bananas are supposed to be similar in smell to the alarm pheremone given off by guard bees from their mandibular glands.

I would also be worried about dark colours.

De-sensitizing programmes DO work - so stick with it!